Usually Phirni is prepared using Basmathi rice. I have tried with Little Millet Rice. The taste is almost similar to the Basmathi rice phirni.
Author : This recipe is a guest post from Kurinji Kathambam
- Little Millet – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Badam – 5
- Pistachios – 5
- Saffron – 5
- Cardamom -4
- Wash and soak the little millet for ½ hour to one hour.
- Then grind it into a coarse paste using the mixie with little water.
- Take 2 tbsp of warm milk and soak the saffron.
- Cut the badam and pistachios into a thin slices.
- Powder the cardamom coarsely.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottom pan. Add the ground little millet paste when the milk starts to boil. Now keep the flame at simmer.
- Stir continuously using the whisk to avoid forming lumps. Cook till the mixture becomes thick. It will take 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the sugar, cardamom powder and saffron mixture milk. Stir well and allow it to cook till the mixture becomes thick. Add the chopped nuts and mix well.
- Allow it to cool down and refrigerate at least for an hour. Serve it with mud clay pots and garnish with chopped nuts.