Finest Post Nominations - February 2022

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Rihana, Feb 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

I am here to nominate @Balajee's thread To Hijab Or Not To Hijab. I love his political satire in all his writings but this one is a serious content with accurate assessment that religious sentiments come from within and can't be dictated by the State whether it is for or against religion. He compared this hijab direction to child abuse. I wish the governments listen to my best atheist friend and heed to his invaluable advice on this matter.

HariLakhera, Rihana, Laks09 and 2 others like this.
  2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa thank you very much for the nomination. Both governments anbd religious bigots are stone deaf when it comes to sensible advice.

HariLakhera, Rihana, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana

I am here to nominate @meenasankaran's heartfelt tribute to her parents in the form of a thread written Goodbye Amma And Appa!. She normally makes all of us smile with her self-deprecating threads mixed with a great sense of humor. But this one formed a lump in my throat and brought a free flow of tears when I learned more about her mom, her hospitality and her love for fellow-beings not necessarily the kith and kin. This is definitely worth to be placed in one of the nominated post for the month.

HariLakhera, Rihana, iyerviji and 2 others like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I was going to nominate this post but did not know whether I should or not. Now I second the nomination

HariLakhera, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji Viji sweetheart, once again I am struck by the sheer variety in the posts you nominate. I really appreciate and admire the keen eye you keep on posts and bring them to FP.
    In the post Toxic Positivity @Vedhavalli has brought up an intriguing topic. One grief expert has defined toxic positivity as "positivity that is positivity given in the wrong way, in the wrong dose, at the wrong time." The thread made for an interesting discussion on the concept and was another thought-provoking thread from Vedhavalli.

@HariLakhera's snippet Loving Your Child took me back to the time I was new in the U.S. and had just started reading the local newspaper advice columns. No better way to get to know a people than to read about their problems and proposed solutions. : ) Two statements from those columns that I found odd back then were:
    - I am in love with you but I do not love you.
    - I love my child but right now I don't like him/her.

Hari ji has raised some interesting questions about the nature of love that a parent has for a child. One of those is: "Can parents stop loving their child, whatever may be the reason? "
    I like to think, or want to think: no, a parent never stops loving their child.

To balance the somber threads, we get an extra light (yet deep) one from @anika987 in I Landed A Job..am Working Outside Now..
    What can I say! The six pages in the thread say it all. Congratulations, Anika. It is very impressive how you have approached the new job. Reading between the lines, one finds an equanimity that is admirable and that is tough to achieve. Well done, Anika. We are all very proud of you and happy for you.

HariLakhera and anika987 like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very happy to see @hrastro in both the nominator and the nominees.

@Thyagarajan Thyagu, such a relief and joy to see you back in IL and the FP thread. I even missed your Congratulations singing children video in FP winner threads. : )

I have no words to describe how useful and important is the information in this thread by @1Sandhya:
    Takeaways From My Sheriff's Community Academy Experience
    Post #1 has been nominated by @hrastro and the entire thread is worthy of nomination. A must-read for anyone who lives or has friends/family in the U.S.

Thank you Sandhya for taking the time to recall and write all of it. I can imagine how much of effort that would have taken!

@hrastro is like a helpful friend every parent should have on speed dial or "frequently contacted" WhatsApp list. : )
    Should Admissions Be Holistic Or Entrance Exam Based? (post #5)
    Should Admissions Be Holistic Or Entrance Exam Based? (post #10)

The combination of hope, insight and practical guidance in many of HR's posts are an IL treasure that parents will benefit from reading and following.

HariLakhera, 1Sandhya and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Oh my goodness! I don't know how I missed this post. Thanks so much dear @hrastro! It's great to see you back here in action. I still remember your "what can you make in 5 minutes" thread fondly. It was truly a life saver back in those days. :) How are you and how is your son? He was 8 years old then, but gosh! he must be a young man now, in high school perhaps?

I agree with both your suggestions. I'll add a post soon, an expanded version about assault/battery to the thread. My Jan post was narrowly tailored towards DV and the poster's specific issue. Actually it's a huge and nuanced topic with many implications for daily life. As for thread location, I did put it under Indians in US and Canada/general discussions. I request the mods to move it to a better place as needed.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    Rihana, HariLakhera and hrastro like this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Rihana for your kind words. Had you not tagged me, I didn't even realize I had been nominated by @hrastro
    But it's not enough that you people are liking the thread, ok? ;) Kindly post your questions or comments as well. As I was mentioning to @Laks09 it was solid 35-40 hours of information download. I'm doing my best to recall what I can but targeted questions are really helpful in triggering my memory!

Rihana, HariLakhera and hrastro like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much @Rihana:)
    @Thyagarajan thank you so much for the kind words in the thread and thanks @iyerviji ma for nominating this thread

It is overwhelming to see so many congratulating and happy for me.I just wrote my mind as a regular thread of how I felt when I landed the job and never expected it would go to the level of even being nominated..

Don’t know how to express and I feel so good..:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.