1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Hijab Or Not To Hijab

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

It was in tyhe late 1980s when I was l;iving in Italy. I had gone with a group of friends to Assisi to viait the St.Francis Basslica. Of course I was not interested in religion but was eager to see the frescos by Giotto on the life of St.Francis To our horror only yours trul;y and another person was allowed inside and the rest were shown the door by a stern looking but polite Fransiscan monk. The reason? They were not "dressed properly"

you see there was a heatwave (by European standards ) on and except two of us everyone was dressed in shorts which violated the dress code of the basillicae which dictated that the visitors knees should not be exposed.

That was my first brush with a dresscode. I was reminded of this when Muslim school and college girls were barred in Karnataka from entering educational institutions' premises wearing Hijab, the headscarf on grounds that it wa violative ol, the institutions' dress code.

All hell broke loose and political parties sought to score brownie points on it TV debatesa degenerated to the level of slum women squabbling over who should first take water from the only tap in their area And courts imposed a temporary ban on the headwear until a final judgement was delivered.

It was exam time and girls went back without writing the tests when they were refused entry for wearing Hijab. One stubborn parent proudly declared :|Pehle Hijab phir kitaab| (firfst the scarf, then only education")_. One girl told a TV channel that her parents had asked her to return home if the school forced her to uncover her head.

Let us go to Kashmir from Karnataka . Girls there were threatened with acid attacks by religious extremists, if they didn't wear the hijab. One school toppr who posed for photographs without hijab received death threats. My heart goes out to these minority girls. They have become like percussion instruments being beaten on both the sides.

Now I personally abhor open flaunting of religious identities. For me religion is an intensely private matter like conjugal relations and going to the toilet. flaunting it in public is vulgar. I detest not only Hijab, burqa or cross but even those with tufts and markings on their forehead which screams from the rooftops about their religious identities,.

Yea. I certainly would like to see people keeping their religious identities to themselves but such an attitude should come from within and should not be imposed from above. say, by the state . And also forcing girls to wear hijab or burqa is nothing short of indoctrination or I would even go a step further and say brainwashing or well, even child abuse. In fact imposing religious ideas, any religious ideas on children is a form of child abuse. Leave them alone until they are of the age when they can make an independent, informed choice.

But in Karnataka and Kashmir the choice is being imposed from above of the dress code . be it by state , educational authorities or religious bigots.

Leave hijab alone. Don't try to force anyone out of it or for the matter into it.+

Rihana, joylokhi, Thyagarajan and 6 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

I truly enjoyed reading your thread with great interest. You have hit the nail right on its head. Your comparison that practicing religion is a private matter just like conjugal relationship and the state making a direction against hijab is equivalent of child abuse.

In a secular state, practicing religion should be their private right just like any other constitutional right like freedom of speech and freedom of press. Hopefully, better sense will prevail to withdraw such directives. It is so nice of you to compare the minority religion in Kashmir being forced to wear hijab with this situation where hijab is banned. Both such effort to go against the wishes of the children is outright wrong.

It amounts to targeting a religion with vengence. Your opinion reflects the right thinking citizen of India.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

I found myself agreeing to many points you raise :) The first one is "why girls?". It really breaks my heart. I agree with you that religion is personal and at the same time, I am okay with the dress code religious places impose - I think if we are entering another person's place of worship and if it is for curiosity reasons, if my curiosity is more important than the dress code, I will follow and then there is that word 'respect' - I respect what they follow or it is not my business to be there. I have to tell you that I have benefited so much especially in my travels while visiting churches and think I have become a better person for that. I realized the importance of that word 'respect'. I have to share a personal story here - one time I had a big gathering (in those days) for my neighbors - with a lot of little kids even some crawling babies. I requested that all guests take their shoes off and one neighbor said "no! my legs, my shoes, my wish!" I kept quiet but have not invited that person back again even though I continue to host get togethers. We are still friends, polite but we realize our differences and that's that! Perhaps it is a relief for that person too especially knowing they prefer only potatoes and peas as vegetarian food :) I don't know.

The way you have described what's happening in karnataka and kashmir is so heartbreaking. I would like to say that education should not be mixed with religion and then think of the days when all of us recited prayers before the start of the school and wonder now about it from the view point of others! Sometimes some students tell me that they do not want to go to church or temple and I tell them the same things you have mentioned here.
    asking them to do what parents suggest for now so that when they do make a decision, it is because they have tried it and are informed about it. This certainly feels like they have opened a pandora's box! There is a system in place and working - goal being school is a place of learning and followers of all religions are welcome! I was disturbed reading about this whole hijab story :(

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Your comments about shorts being not allowed inside the Basslica, our family had a similar experience in the summer of 2008 when we were touring Italy, France, Spain, and Croatia for our 25th Wedding anniversary. My son had a long dreaded hair and always was wearing bandana (now he has a clean shaven head) to avoid the hair falling in the food. He wanted to pay respect to St. Paul and when he was paying respect someone approached him to remove his bandana as a mark of respect to the papal. My son immediately obliged. At least in holy places like that we need to abide by the dress code and learn such dress code before visiting these places. Interestingly, they didn't object to him wearing a short but only objected to his bandana.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. mbharani

mbharani Gold IL'ite

Everybody is talking and debating about hyjab , but not really talking about the real problem.

No the karanataka government or schools are not telling the girls not to wear the hyjab they are telling when in class no hyjanb even in campus they can wear, only in class room.

People are misinterpreting and political parties are using it at their advantage.

I am form Karnataka my best friends are muslims most of them never wore burqa or hyjab, those who wore them used to remove and attend the class this was in 90s.

I think media is misleading more than anyone else.

I am not supporting anyone here just my thoughts.

7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Did you remove your bindi or Tilak? Why do you expect the Muslim girls to remove their hijab ?

Learn from Tamil Nadu that respects all religions.

Balajee likes this.
  8. mbharani

mbharani Gold IL'ite

I did not wear any bindi or tilak when I went to school....

Mu muslims friends did not wear hyjab or burqa to school

vrikshakadali and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. mbharani

mbharani Gold IL'ite

That's what i am telling , nobody is telling girls to not wear the hyjab they are just telling not to wear in classroom...follow the school uniform.

So please research before talking and don't spead hatred.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Did your school impose restrictions on people who wore bindi or tilak or people who tied religious threads on their hands ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.