Finest Post Nominations - November 2021

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Rihana, Nov 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana

I am here to nominate @Gauri03's response Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail. This verdict has raised so many eyebrows some saying, "justice served and jury system works" while others saying, "what a precedence it sets for younger generation". I was watching a program in which former New Jersey Governor said, "What he did is not against the law and if you don't like the law, make the change to the law". Isn't it an anomaly that he can't buy an assault rifle but can carry it across the state?

Gauri approached it in a holistic way to explain what is wrong with the overall justice system as opposed to isolating this as one verdict. If looting and arson is bad and against the law, so is someone shooting people with assault riffle. If it is called as self-defense by an innocent teenager by a jury system, it requires a deep dive into our judicial system as opposed to considering it as one isolated judicial decision.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro has given solid actionable advice in her response: Should I Keep Working Till My End

Whether to work, how long to work, how much is enough for retirement, how much to help the kids with their kids and life ... these are endless decisions. hrastro has given starting points for this decision making and a gentle caution to have a fall back career if choosing not to work. And the bigger guideline:

Who do you want to compete with? Why do you want to compete? Work from your point of strengths and let others work from theirs...
    You will "work" not to keep yourself "engaged" but to feel "fulfilled and contented" - doesnt have to be paying work if you dont need the money!

Thank you for nominating this post, Laks. It applies to women of all ages, right down to young ones like our daughters. : )

hrastro likes this.
  3. Rihana

Thank you Mistt and Laks for bringing this response by @DDream to FP:
    This Is What I’m Going Through So Long With No Solution

Once again, DDream summarizes the OP's situation in simple terms and suggests steps to make life a bit easier.

I agree there should be a way to automatically nominate DDream's posts. I have to go figure out the Follow feature of IL.

Confession time: Till I read about it in DDream's posts I used to something think that gaslighting was a fancy western concept not applicable to "real" life or Indian households. After watching a few videos and some links from DDream's posts over the last few years, I know better. In particular, I came to know about Dr. Ramani (Durvasula) only from DDream's posts.

Laks09 and Mistt like this.
  4. Rihana

Viswa, thank you for nominating the response by @Gauri03 :
    Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

On a general note, it is good to see topics like religion and race being discussed peacefully in IL and resulting in posts that get nominated for FP.

Gauri's posts on the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict, its related issues, and the questions you raised in your nomination provide a lot of context, background and nudge readers towards the big picture. They remind us of just how much an overhaul the justice system needs.

Gauri03, Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Laks09 for nominating this post... I keep thinking about creating a specific post on Indusladies about this topic - Mainly because almost every career counselling session I complete for a student, ends with the mother asking me if she could also get an evaluation! I feel it would be a useful post!

Yes @Rihana, specially applies to our daughters - I still see many parents dismissing the need to offer a professional education for daughters - I still hear statements like - "My son will study engineering, but for my daughter any degree is enough"

More Later!
    Just came in to thank you both for bringing attention to the important points in my post!

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Thanks @Mistt, @Rihana, @Laks09 and @Viswamitra for your nominations! Honoured:innocent:!
    I have to thank youtube algorithm for suggesting those videos. I came across a few videos that lead to those links on narcistic behavior. I found it very intersting!

In India, we dont use any partcular word, but do it often ( gas lighting, stone walling, silent treatment, emotional abandonment, controlling etc..). Emotional abuse is still not considered as abuse by most people. Sometimes, simply say, yeah men are like that ( mostly true in a patrarchial society, but, there are many female abusers too..)
    But western people are smart, they label every thing in a systematic way as their findings, we follow it. But those self- help videos and blogs, really empower us to deal with it better, instead of accepting bad treatment as fate/bad luck, or from blaming ourselves.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Rihana, Mistt and Laks09 like this.
  7. Viswamitra

@Rihana

I am here to nominate @HariLakhera Sir's snippet The Best Prophet Of The Future Is The Past.. I feel most of his snippets are from his deep thinking and searching for answers. He facilitates many of us to think like him and attempt to find answers. Questioning is the way we conduct inquiry and the answers appear only when we keep asking questions.

Rihana and HariLakhera like this.
  8. Viswamitra

@Rihana

I am here to nominate @Needtobestrong's thread Are Beautiful Ladies More Successful?. Many will be afraid of asking this question in public domain. But the way she phrased it made everyone answer objectively without predicting the rationale for this question. There are many industries that are purely driven by the appearance of the women such as Airlines, Visual Media & Entertainment, Film, Advertisement and Publicity, to name a few.

My parents raised me to think about every other women, as aunties and sisters when I was young irrespective of how they dress up whereas my English professor in the college (educated in the United Kingdom) when talking about how a good letter should be written mentioned, "It should be like a lady's skirt, short enough to attract attention and long enough to cover the subject". Please note my class was coeducation class. You can understand how confused I should be at that time.

Note: Now at least, you don't make fun of me for watching Bobby so many times. After all, I was checking how I should write my letters. :)

Needtobestrong and Rihana like this.
  9. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

My last and final nomination for the month of November is @Mehana's response to People Who Impressed You. I am a big beleiver that when you are intensely happy or worried about something, there is a good possibility that we will get someone to share our happiness or worries and that is how the nature works. Mehana explains what she encountered raising a special needs kid and how she found a neighbor who was always cheerful but quietly raising a special needs child. That is precisely what she needed to learn at that point in time to gain courage and strength to raise one of her own. I am grateful to her for sharing this in this forum so that those with special needs child would learn from it. @Mehana, I know many mothers in this forum who consider themselves as ordinary mothers but do extraordinary work with their special needs kid.

Rihana likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much. I am deeply honored. Yes, I like to ask questions to myself and find answers with the help of others in this and other forums. Sometimes, it does wonders.

Rihana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.