People Who Impressed You

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Desiindian, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Thought of starting a light thread to share your personal experiences of people who impressed you.

When I say impressed I mean both gender and no particular age. The person may be in 70s or in 20, man or woman or a girl who impressed you with their way of living their life. Looks and appreance are not counted in this thread.

Here impression meaning, when you meet them, you feel happy and positive and you feel like wanting them to meet them again.

Let me start here.

I have few people who had impressed me. I will share one after another

Lady1.

She is my current neighbour, living with her retired husband. Both children are in abroad. Has grandchildren as well. Whenever I see her I always feel that I should live like her in my 60s.

Always gracefully dressed. Atleast once a week she dress so brightly with border sarees and suiting accessories, perfume and parties.
    She has been maintaining a very good relationship with sons and DIls that they take her once in a year to their country.

So I happen to see this aunty only three or four months in a year. Never once I have heard her complaining about her stay abroad. When she is in Indiq, she had load of relatives who keep visiting her or she will be touring to relatives place. Her sis would stay with her most of the time when they are here and they all visit places and cinemas together. The time they stay in their flat would like celebration. This aunty is now planning to move to her native. I feel sad. Though she stayed in our apartment for only few year, I feel upset that I wouldn't be able to see in coming year.

Her way of living her life had made an impact on me.

When start thinking I have many, I will post about others soon.

Mehana, SCA, Mistt and 4 others like this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

At the risk of sounding immodest,can I say am impressed with myself :D

Long story short..

In my own eyes...When i compare myself now to my past..

I went from a nobody to somebody
    I was always a somebody (everyone is)but that realization was late.

I love and accepted myself and my life now wholeheartedly :)

Ennakul oruthi...(somebody within me)

Mehana, chanchitra, SCA and 2 others like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am also the petson who will Only maintain relations with people am comfortable with.
    That way i can mention some of my friends ( rare gems) and ofcourse my mom who always has a smile on her face,extremely helpful and still preserves her innocent nature and surviving well in this big bad world..

chanchitra likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice light thread. I too have quite a few that come to mind.

1) Mr. Happy
    That's the name we have given him. We don't know his real name. Over the years, we have narrowed down his home to be on one street that we now call Happy Street. We first started noticing him about 10 years ago. He must have been 70 then, and must be nearing 80 now. Always smiling. Tall and moves with a spring in his step. I don't know when I started to wave to him and stop to talk a bit. I have never seen him in a car. : ) If we are driving and almost miss him, and slow down to wave, he will actually walk back a few steps and wave back heartily. Wide smile on his creased face.

I was impressed with his regularity of going for walks and he seems to take part in some exercises in the park too. Something about the way he holds himself, and how he smiles at all. At all times, there is a pleasant expression on his face, even when he is walking lost in thoughts. We didn't see him for a few months during the pandemic and we feeling bad. One afternoon suddenly we saw him again. All seemed right with the world again. : )

chanchitra, SCA, Mistt and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

2) My Aunt who I think of as "then and there"
    She had many positive qualities but the one that impressed me when I was a teen was her ability to respond to people then and there. She was not rude and not even matter of fact. There was something undefinable. She never tolerated nonsense from anyone. She was great to have around, especially, when we were the "girl's" side in weddings or pre-wedding discussions. She could deftly diffuse any situation and calmly respond to annoying older ladies from the boy's side.

I can write tons about her. The example that I still recall is how she set the precedent of DIL going to her mom's house on festival days. It was unheard of back then and all the DILs went to mom's house the day before or the day after the main festival even if mom's house was just a kilometer away. She used to simply finish all the work, attend to some guests, and leave for her mom's house. She had a fixed routine. On some festivals she went to her mom's house before lunch, in some after the afternoon chai.

I learned from her that instead of seeking approval, just do it. She lived a modified version of the quote "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission."

Mehana, MalStrom, SCA and 5 others like this.
  7. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

I meant I got influenced by her to maintain good social circle, self care , to be little generous to people who care us.

I cud write only few things about her, I can write pages about this aunty. I won't say she is a down to earth person, but she know how to live the life lively. When I compare her with other senior couples who live away from their children in our flats, I could see how well she has accepted the reality and living the life without complaint about anyone. And she is finding many ways to keep herself occupied with people around her. Impressed with her social and managing skills. I am thinking of following her in every possible way. Already working on it...

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

Reading this, I am also impressed.

9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

I have a neighbor and she is 30+. I have a good relationship with her but I was much impressed after talking to her. Though I know her for long time but didn't had much contact with her when I moved to USA(few years back).

I have a special need kid and in my earlier life(when I had my baby) I was very down and needed much good energy which I didn't had.

My neighbor she has a special need kid too but I didn't know until I started talking to her...which surprised me how a mom should be though you have struggles in the life.

She used to be well dressed most of the time, celebrate all festivals with very good vibes, good number of friends and go for potluck. She used to upload pictures in FB so I felt she's more positive and blessed with everything ...my mistake though I had good friends I stayed away for few years once I came to know my elder son is special need.

I was shocked when I learned her struggles and as a mom how much effort she put for her son everyday and till now she's doing without any rest. As a mom I do lots of work for my son but I used to isolate myself from social gatherings..

She is my big energy spirit and showed me how to live the life with struggles and she always say be brave and ready to share your thoughts without any hesitation.