1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Culture

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Those who wonder why so many adults and children get killed in the US through Gun shots, I would simply say that it is not merely the second amendment that gives them the right to bear arms but the regular use of language on day to day basis that is embedded with gun culture.

There are enough of gun related stuff said in the US by everyone in day to day matters. "Give it a shot" is what we tell someone who won't try something. It is common also to say, "It is something to shoot for". "Right on target" and "in the crosshairs" are the terms used to indicate the approach is right. When someone needs more information to handle something, they say, "I need more ammunition". Without knowing enough, if someone is attempting to do something, we say, "He is shooting in the dark". When we like to encourage someone to do something, we say, "Take your best shot". If someone is doing nothing, they we say, "He is shooting the breeze".

When someone does something unexpected out of them, then we say, "I got blown away". If we like to appreciate someone's smile, we say, "You have a killer smile". If someone is countering our arguments, then we say, "He is shooting holes in my argument". If someone has all information with reference to a particular situation, then we say, "He is armed with the facts". If someone said something before understanding all the facts of a situation, then we say, "He jumped the gun". "Keep your power dry" is what we say when one should be calm and be prepared for a problem. If someone doesn't know a thing about a situation but still talks about it as if he knows it, then we say, "He is shooting from his hip". Even when someone is always telling things like it is, then we say, "Straight shooter". When soneone gets upset and angry, we say, "He is ballistic". If someone is not bound by the rules, then we say, "He is a loose cannon". When someone is ready to do something, then we say, "He is locked and loaded".

I have only listed a few and there are many more such usages common here in the US.

iyerviji, Rihana, umaakumar and 3 others like this.

2. Ragavisang

Ragavisang Gold IL'ite

Words are extremely powerful tools that we can use to uplift our personal energy or crush it totally.

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

@Ragavisang,

You are so right about it. The words we use on a daily basis is so powerful. The countries gained independence from occupying forces because of the words of great leaders and even crime against humanity happened also because of the words of the dictators/fascists.

Ragavisang likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Super shot on weapon phrases. "Armed to the teeth" is not included in the list above- perhaps it is not of US origin.

Ragavisang and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Viswamitra

May be it is in existence in the US but I have not heard it. There are many more that I am familiar with but I can't list all of them. I just gave samples of a few that is in vogue.

Thyagarajan and Ragavisang like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa our vocabulary is dull od wepo0n-related and murder related terms LIKE Make a killing" "cross swords" |daggers drawn, and hat not. buT us IS PROBABLY THE ONLY COUNTRY WHERE GOING TO SCHOOL COULD BE INJURIOUS TO HEALTH , EVEN FAAL. wHY SCHOOLS, UNSUSPECTING SHOPPERS HAVE BEEN SHOT DEAD IN SUPERMARKETS. oF COURSE NO GOVERNMENT WOULD RUB THE nra THE WRONG WAY AND PEOPLE W ILL CONTINUE TO FALL PRAY TO BULLETS. dismal SCENARIO,

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

America doesn't adapt to changes happening in the world. When they got their independence, they didn't have much of police force with a) Tribal Indians retreating to the forests in isolated locations far away from the immigrants after immigrants taking over the country, b) most American deeply believing in slavery used the people from Africa and Carribean countries as slaves. Until Abraham Lincoln came around, there were no leadership having a future vision with reference to human resources. Dr. MLK came only in 20th century. Industrial revolution, infrastrucutre development, etc. also came much later.

In order to allow the Americans to protect themselves, second amendment was made with a right to bear arms which was never withdrawn after police forces were built. There is so much of sensitivity among Americans about the government coming after their arms. Some of them have assault rifles, and AK type of weapons that are unnecessary to defend themselves. It is a pride how many weapons one has among some part of the society. NRA believes rifles don't shoot on their own unless men use it aggressively and therefore they feel weapons should not be blamed.

It is unfortunate that so many children, innocent shoppers, audience in entertainment shows, etc. were shot and lost their lives. The arguments goes on publicly whether it is because of mental issues or easy access to the weapon with liberal licensing. Half of the Americans say we need to address the mental issue while others ask to limit the licensing of weapons.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This snippet has been in my mind since the day I read it. It is both scary and fascinating how many such phrases are used casually without even wondering about their origin. The funny thing is that just before I read this snippet on March 13, I had typed a response that used the phrase "armed with facts." Then, I realized in another response the same day, I had used "pick your battles."

Being aware of our language and reading about the origins of words, and also staying current with what words are considered ableist, racist, or sexist is important. A few years ago, the technical term "master-slave" started to get replaced with primary-secondary, leader-follower. To say something is a dumb idea, or a lame idea is also not the best adjective. I am appalled when I recall some terms I used frequently such as fresh off the boat and filthy rich. We wouldn't call the poor as smelly poor. The jury is out on dirt poor.

Coming back to the gun related terminology, the list of words is simply too long. And, not surprisingly, American English has more than other any other. Though there are universal violent ones such as "to kill two birds with one stone" and "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush."

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Thank you @Rihana for you response. It is always a pleasure to receive your response whenever it is! Unknowingly, we use a lot of such terms in our day to day life without realizing how it sounds. Your sharing the equivalents for some of the words that sound little uneasy to say is valuable.

Rihana likes this.