1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

The ‘75 Hard’ Challenge

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Gauri03, Jun 3, 2021.

1. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

its tough to manage with nuts and fruits alone. Soon you will be craving more. When I had this problem (mine was more anxiety eating), but I generally have lots of coconuts, so made laddu with jaggery. And believe me, I made such small laddus, everyone was laughing. BEcause I know Im going make those trips often to that laddu jar. I got some Gond Laddu , though I really dont know how to make them. Better than deep fried stuff I thought.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You are right, but this time my mind has accepted the need to change, the need to lose weight and the need to be fit & healthier body/mind. So, the change wouldn't be so difficult as before.

sociallifein30s likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

No worries @Kaput, new week starts tomorrow :)
    You got this!

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @NOW ,

I cannot speak of career pressures. You have a lot on your plate. You are up at 5.30 and you are go go go till almost 8! Certainly you are in the right direction if you are stepping back to look at your day! I have always held the thought that we (as women) can do it all but not at the same time. Compartmentalizing is a skill that I continue to work on. That would be my first word of advise (?) to you! I also think you have too many goals - I would go with two absolute ones for now and see how I would make progress. That will give you a sense of control and not add on to the feeling of overwhelm.

Looking at what you are doing here are few suggestions -
    • Reduce goals or combine goals - allow goal to feed off one another.
    • You cannot help with kids' school and activities - what do you do after you drop them off? Do you stay back or get back home? That is a good time to carve out for yourself - if you stay back, see if you can walk while you wait. If you come back home, see if you can walk. Use that time to do something for yourself and turn off work.
    • Group lessons have always helped me and motivated me. I know I am a morning person so I chose a gym based on workouts offered in the morning or so I thought when I enrolled. I realized the only class offered was spinning and guess what I decided to do that - here's a snippet I wrote about it Have you ever been embarrassed? With consistent workout, drinking water comes naturally and won't feel like a task.
    • Keep a specific laundry day or even two - one for your clothes and one for kids and that includes washing, drying, folding and putting away!
    • Same thing with cooking - keep a day or a time (I usually finish before I head out to work at 8)
    • Sleep - tell your self 6 good hours (7-8 is a bonus) I know I sound awful saying that...but if you sleep for 7, then it feels you did more than what you set out for. If you are already sleeping 4-5, a good goal to keep.
    • IF should be the easiest of all.
    • Compartmentalize - even if you are in management position, turn off for an hour or two. May be you can let your teams know that you not available for a couple of hours unless it is an emergency - I don't work in corporate, so I am not sure if that works or how it works. But I feel it is a necessary skill every one must adopt. As a rule of thumb at school, I don't check emails in the mornings and do so only at the last bell - in fact that is one of the things I tell parents at the beginning of school year. I also don't log on to work emails on weekends though I am fairly busy grading and recording scores over the week ends and evenings.
    That said, personally carving out an hour for me first thing in the morning has helped me through out - when mine were babies, it involved mostly taking care of kitchen so that the rest of the day was spent around them. That later transitioned to work out time and the rest of the day revolved around kids and my work.

Like I said start with one or two, record progress and your thoughts in a word document on a daily basis. Sustain that for one cycle challenge which allows you to feel proud of yourself, the next cycle you can increase.

Gauri03, Rihana, NOW and 2 others like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Monday, September 26th, 2022 - 32nd day

Walking - 1 hour
    IF - 6 p.m. to 9 a.m.
    Water - 2 liters
    Reading - 30 minutes
    Preparing to receive uninvited guest Hurrican Ian.

Gauri03 and Rihana like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Tuesday, September 27th, 2022 - 33rd day

Walking - 6.5 miles + a lot of physical activities in preparation for hurricane Ian
    IF - 6 p.m. to 9 a.m.
    Water - 2 liters
    Reading - 30 minutes
    Power is still on and hopefully we don't lose power tonight.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

09/25 Sunday Day 11

CBT Course - 30 mins
    Sorting Stuff - 30 mins (Doing deep research in the creation, storage and management of passwords)
    Writing - 30 mins
    Exercise - 1 hour walk
    Tea or Coffee - barely managed to keep it under 2.

09/26 Monday Day 12

CBT Course - 30 mins
    Sorting Stuff - 30 mins
    Writing - 30 mins (okay mostly editing)
    Exercise - 1 hour walk
    Tea or Coffee - barely managed to keep it under 2, thanks to Covid booster shot early AM.

09/27 Tuesday Day 13
    (full effects of the Covid booster shot, Tylenol ineffective this time, waited hrs before taking ibuprofen.)

CBT Course - re-watched a video for some minutes, counts as done.
    Sorting Stuff - Looked at my passwords for some minutes, counts as done.
    Writing - Wrote on paper for 20 mins while in bed, like a person lost in the snow, waiting to die and writing last letter to loved ones.
    Exercise - did stretches of wrists and ankle, feet (like a person lost in the snow LOL), counts as done.
    Tea or Coffee - this was easy to keep to 0. Didn't feeling eating or drinking anything.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@NOW, to be tagged by you, along with the others tagged, I puffed up like a phulka that only my long-ago cooking lady Jassi ji could make.

I cannot offer advice or tips yet but here's some perspective, most of it straight from a few habits books I've re-read recently:

- Three times a week is a habit. And, showing up counts.

- Things will get a little easier once your younger one is as old as your older one is now. In particular, you will get some respite in the morning before-school time.

- Being specific helps. Sleep 7 -8 hours can be sleep by this time, or wake up by this time (not both).

- Link a desired habit to an activity that happens every day. Meditation can be linked to "just after kids leave for school."

- Choose habits and their intensities such that you can do that even on your worst day. "Check-in every two hours can be reduced to check-in thrice a day: "check in before I get out of bed, before/after I have lunch, before the first kid arrives home from school."

- Self-care track: You are at your busiest phase of life. Make time for the self-care that is absolutely necessary, that is a must-have to function. Don't aim for the self-care that you need to thrive. Maybe, just maybe, right now you don't need the popularly prescribed amounts of self-care. (Can't phrase this better).

- Mom track: Kids spent close to two formative years growing up in a pandemic. It will take time and patience to recover from habits formed at that time or skills that could not be taught then. General note about mom track for busy working moms: Any supplementing of school education that you do at home, evaluate why you are doing it at all, then outsource it to paid people or to husband. The money paid to people or the time, patience and cajoling spent training husband will be well worth it.

Choose five habits. Break them down in extremely specific and measurable terms. Be realistic. For example - reading right before sleeping is not a sustainable habit. Will power is a limited, finite resource for most of us.

Only five habits at a time. Read this Warren Buffett’s 5/25 Rule Will Help You Focus On The Things That Matter (read only the four italicized lines if busy. Never mind that Buffett didn't really say all that's attributed to him.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    NOW, Gauri03 and Srama like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Wednesday, September 28th, 2022 - 34th day

Hunkered down inside home due to hurrican Ian
    IF - 6 p.m. to 9 a.m.
    Water - 2 liters
    No walking
    Reading - 30 minutes

10. Viswamitra