1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever been embarrassed?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]What kind of a question is that? If you are like me, I am sure there are many instances where you wanted to go crawling and hide in that hole even if you had to dig it first! Sabrina, my favorite teenage witch in one of the episodes makes a chart of the number of teenagers that are embarrassed every moment across the world. That number was staggering even if made up and after that, I have stopped looking for that hole! The thought of digging it and keeping it ready is always there though, considering my track record!

Last week watching a substitute trainer go through a series of embarrassing moments in a span of just three minutes reminded me of what happened to me, yes, in that very same spinning room around the same time - I mean in the wee hours of the morning, one good day a couple of years ago!

Seeing a new spinning class on the schedule and with due encouragement from DH, off I go with some water and a towel to the gym, seating myself on that bike, not knowing what to do looking around to figure out what others are doing! Thank fully, the very nice instructor walks up to me and helps me set up the bike to work with my height and weight asking me if I bike often! To her dismay, I pretty much assure her that indeed it was my first time ever even sitting on bike, let alone riding one. Now you know why I needed the encouragement. With a smile and teeny bit hesitation, she pats on my hand, says you will do well sweetie and goes back to continue teaching! If you thought confessing in a room full of avid bikers that it was the first time for me on a bike was embarrassing, wait till you hear what happened next!

So with that kind of encouragement and loud and nice music with lights dimmed, I am all fired up and as much as I believed yoga was the only thing I enjoyed, I did end up giving my best getting caught up in the spirit and energy of the class. What I had not bargained for after all the hard work was the disoriented me with the shaky, wobbly legs. With those shaky legs, I had to get the cleaning bottle and spray to clean up the bike for the next person who may use it and with diligence started wiping off the bike, thankful to be standing and not walking! After a couple of minutes, I notice another sweaty woman watching me with what I thought a confused look, with a sprayed paper towel in her hand waiting for me! Some body standing that close will get the attention needed. So, wondering why she has been staring at me, I look up only to realize that in my wobbliness, I had walked back to her bike and had begun to clean it for her, my bike only staring at me behind her in all it's glory, waiting to be wiped! How could I have done that? If you thought any one could turn more red with embarrassment, think again!

I made my excuses, made my jokes and walked over, nah crawled to my bike to begin wiping that off! And I did want to go hide in that hole but mustered up enough courage to go back the next day to a "glad you are back, how are you?" from the instructor to which I lamely replied that I had no clue how I am feeling for I was completely on pain medication for that class, still nurturing my aches from the previous class, not to mention the embarrassing moment much to the amusement of the instructor.

After that, as they say the rest is history! Now, I have of course learnt to remember the color of my towel and go searching back for it, I have learnt to remember what color my water bottle is and go to that bike, I have learnt to wait till I feel steady on my feet before I move, I have learnt to ride the real bike as well and spin the gym one better than ever! But still that day, my confusion, the look on the lady's face never fail to bring a smile on my face and I have thought of it many a time as I have continued with spinning for the last two years and even become good friends with that particular instructor![/JUSTIFY]
    Psst....have you noticed the title of the thread? Go on share your moment. It is all between friends I assure you!

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

You have written in such a interesting, engrossing and entertaining manner I almost want to share something too... seriously I need to remember and will surely share;

Kudos to you that you have learned to ride the bike better and do spin better; That indeed is the turning point if you will

I admire the nice way in which this is written so that you forget its an embarassing moment being shared but more something that needs to be learnt. Thats why enjoyed this writeup so much; thanks for sharing!

2 people like this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Yes of course. I have had several such moments. I have to think a while to list out here as I am confused which one will make it first here. Sometimes it is "ok. So what" kinds, two had been very serious involving monetary loss too.

Enjoyed reading yours imagining your expression. Oh my! How you must have felt!

Regards
    Manjukps

2 people like this.
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey Saby,

I was hoping that I would be the first one to give a feed back to this post of your's and beat 'Viji the First'! But that is not to be and I think you can guess why I could not!! At least, I have saved myself from the embarrassment of being the last....Now howzzat? :)

If the lady is acting as a substitute, she must be learning the ropes on how to be a full fledged one. So whatever may have happened, she need not be embarrassed. In my opinion, she should be proud that she ventured out to do something that she is not comfortable with, hats off to her!

Now your first experience with spinning was really cute. I just loved the part where you mention your legs turned to jelly... Now tell me Sabs, why do you put yourself through so much hardship? Tell ya, sitting in my sofa, I never understand you gals!:biggrin2:

As for my embarrassing moments, there are too too many. But for the moment, I can't think of any. They were so embarrassing that I have consciously forgotten I guess!:| But ever so often, I kick myself in embarrassment when I load someone else's shopping cart with my groceries in the supermarket!:hide:

L, Kamla

6 people like this.
  5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

oh Sabi,

yesss lots of times :hide:but you know what ,I have outgrown that too. I have learnt to look at them straight in the face and give them my sweetest smile and move on..

Going to the wrong car, wrong loo, loading the wrong trolley etc etc has happened many times. Thank God I have not yet reached that point when I have cleaned the wrong house during one of my cleaning frenzies. LOL

11 people like this.
  6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

@ MINDI
    Thank God I have not yet reached that point when I have cleaned the wrong house during one of my cleaning frenzies. LOL
    Really laughed at this... as very often after my crazy cleaning spree when nothing is spared.. and my hubby's irritation is HIGH.. he will ask.. whether he should ring the neighbour's door bell and offer my cleaning services to them to keep me on the job and out of his hair!!!!...

Dear Sabitha..
    we all go through embarrassing moments... and you atleast have the excuse of being dis -oriented... just now I walked into the discussion room and spoke to the plumbing consultant's junior thinking he was the structural engineer's junior and through out he had such a weird look on his face & then slowly my colleague mentioned "mam.. he is XXXX not YYY" to which I looked at XXX and said well.. you've come before time.. and anyways its always good for you to gain extra info about the building.. ok!!!" and walked out with my face beetroot red!! and then I come to IL and there is this post by you!!!..
    what telepathy!!!..
    Kerman

5 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Please do share....no no not to embarrass you :) Well, this one for me was a big one and as much as I want to forget it, it kind of brings a smile to my face and does not make me want to cringe!

On a serious note, thank you for your words AC! Truly appreciate it.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

can't wait to hear if you wish to share!
    Oops so sorry!
    continue to feel that but the only good thing is others don't remember and that lady, well I have not seen her again in the gym :hide: may be I drove her away!

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I have plenty of embarrassing moments though cannot remember all; however just for you been thinking hard and came up with some college day stuff;
    I was notorious as a student. Gave the teachers a tough time.. haha.. so I was always sent out of the class !!! :):)
    And will have to sit in the corridor outside classroom itself.
    Thats the punishment; so everyone got used to finding me outside the classroom than inside and would get back at me and make fun... at that time i found it really embarrassing;

I was a terror in the English classes.. I was really good at the language and would question the teacher.. so much so the whole class will go to answering my questions.. & of course teacher will report to head of dept.. :)

In hostel i had a much worse reputation.. once i scared a whole building with ghosts .. i and a few friends would go around in night and make ghost noises.. like jingling of anklets.. then drop jasmine.. what not..and during the day spread news that its haunted.. then the girls went and reported to our nun who was total in charge; She figured I had something to do with it and in assembly i had to accept.. oh my even now when i think of all that its so embarrassing :biggrin2:

I am not going to get started with ragging times and other class pranks I used to do..
    I am sure you are fed up with my long story now..

This is how I would appear after doing the mischief..

cat4.jpg

5 people like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sabita dear good post. I dont remember now any embarassing moments. But sometimes I get these weird thoughts. What will happen if I go and hug a male sitting near me in a function, though I feel embarassed to hug anyone. I just remembered
    When I was in dubai I used to get scared to go to the loo because the locks there were different. We had gone for a party and I went to the loo and locked it. When I was trying to open I could not , it was written there push down but I was scared if I do something I might get locked. Then I just tapped the door and luckily one guy was outside and he opened. I felt so embarassed that he might think I dont know to open the door too. Sometimes I never used to lock and used to be worried that someone might come, so used to be fast. Even to wash the hands the water used to come by itself without opening the tap and I did not know that you have to just put your hands down.

6 people like this.