1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Wood flooring Vs Carpet

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Induslady, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

We are thinking about changing from Carpet to Wood flooring (Engineered wood) in our home.

Kitchen, dining, bathroom and foyer has tiles, so no issues.

The areas we are considering to change are the Living room, Office/study, bedrooms and walk-ways leading to the rooms.

We wanted to originally change to wood flooring in all of the above areas. But a friend of mine said, though wood flooring is good for re-sale of the home, relatively clean, better aesthetics and easy to maintain, most people (especially Americans) prefer to keep bedrooms with carpet. Reason being they are warm and cozy on the feet.

So we are thinking should we change to wood only in the living room, office/study and walk-ways leading to the rooms? Keep the bedrooms with carpet?

Pour in your opinions, please! Thanks!

Malathy

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

I will choose carpet for the bedrooms. Bedrooms are used only for sleeping. It is hardly used in the day time or rarely. Living room is the most used. Wooden floor is really good for winters. Bedrooms can be left without wooden flooring.

3. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Padma,

Thank you, your suggestion makes sense based on the fact that bedrooms are rarely used during the day compared to the living area.

I am also thinking from the value for money and time aspect. If I change to wood thro' out may be I need not worry for many years to come. But with carpet in the bedrooms, may be I will end up seeing them dirty in the next 6 to 10yrs!! At the same time the aspect that majority population would prefer carpets in the bedrooms keep me in a dilemma!

Let's see if I get more suggestions.

Regards,
    Malathy

4. npri

npri Bronze IL'ite

Hello Malathy,

We have the house with the wooden floors in hall and in bedroom. With respect to cleaning and maintianing i would prefer go with wooden as it easy as it looks the same after many years.

Our previous ones were with carpet in bedroom where it gets dirty and you do not feel fresh as the dust gets accumulated in the carpets.
    Replacing wooden for a bigger space you can get it cheaper and done once for all. Houses with wooden floor is considered high over the ones with carpet when u sell the property. Because that was one of the criteria we had when we purchased our home.

My 2 cents!!

5. davidraju

davidraju New IL'ite

Hardwood floors or carpeting? Both types of flooring materials have distinct advantages and disadvantages. While different living and working environments certainly call for different materials, some features of carpeting and hardwoods are consistent across environments.
    Carpeting:
    Quiet and Comfortable
    New Carpet Smell = Chemical Cartel
    High Maintenance
    Extensive Cleaning, Minimal Results
    Allergy Nightmare
    Hardwood
    Safe and Clean
    Low Maintenance
    Sustainable
    Unsurpassed Beauty and Value
    So, while hardwood floors may cost more initially, with proper maintenance, they can be a sound investment that pay off for a lifetime.