1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Wire Hanging Baskets for Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by nokia6681, May 17, 2008.

1. nokia6681

nokia6681 New IL'ite

[​IMG]
    Cascading flowers in an array of colors against the backdrop of the earthy moss or coconut fibers commonly used in wire hanging baskets provide a natural look and healthy plants. Such container gardening is perfect when you live in a townhouse with a small patio garden, or an apartment with a balcony. Maybe you want to add interest to your front door or some color outside your window?

Learn how to make wire hanging baskets, and choose the best flowers to suit, here:

Good choices for Baskets in Full Sun: Bacopa, Felicia, geraniums, helichrysum, lobelia, lotus vine, marigolds, nemesia, petunias, scaveola, tagetes, trailing schizanthus, verbena

Good choices for Baskets in Shade:

Alyssum, fibrous begonias, fuchsias, ivy geraniums, hedera, impatiens, trailing ivy, lobelia, tuberous begonias

1. Stand the wire basket in an empty pot to stabilize it.

2. Fit a small saucer in the bottom of the basket to hold a small reservoir of water, which is extremely useful in the height of summer when you go away.

3. Line the basket with a layer of sphagnum moss, or choose a synthetic liner made from coir (coconut fiber) or sheep’s wool, which are reusable and more sustainable.
    Tip: Be innovative, and use bamboo leaves, fern fronds or even phormium swords as an environmentally alternative to sphagnum moss.

4. Cover the base with lightweight potting compost pressed down firmly to exclude air pockets.

5. Plant your basket in layers, starting at the lowest layer with trailing plants, use the middle layer for hanging plants, building up to the top layer for tall, upright plants.
    Lay bedding plants on the compost through the wire mesh from the outside. Press down to secure roots in place. When this layer is fully planted, cover well with compost to make the next layer. Continue to fill the basket with plants followed by layers of compost to within two inches of the rim.

6. Plant the uppermost layer with taller plants such as geraniums or marigolds. (Do not overcrowd the basket, as annual plants have a naturally spreading habit.)

7. Check that the supporting chains, ring and bracket are strong enough to cope with the considerable weight of a full, watered basket.

8. To ensure displays last throughout the summer, remember to feed, water and deadhead the basket regularly. Give plants a regular watering with a potash-rich fertilizer such as liquid seaweed every week.

9. Don’t hesitate to cut back growth that trails too far. A good pruning helps plants grow bushier, and often results in a second flowering.

10. Once planted up, it’s a good idea to harden off the basket for ten days or so, leaving it outdoors during the day but protecting it from the cold at night.

2. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Re: Make Your Own Wire Hanging Baskets.

Thankyou very much for the sharing.
    I had seen such a thing at USA and liked it verymuch but not carry over by flight. This idea helped me much. I will try out one. If any doubt i will ask you.
    By the way are done one thing like this?
    viji

3. rajivenugopal

rajivenugopal Platinum IL'ite

hi,

very interesting in4mation.
    i'm planning 2 try.

regards raji.
    Harhar

4. AVpoornima

AVpoornima Gold IL'ite

hi
    thanks for sharing

5. Bhanvi

Bhanvi Senior IL'ite

HI

Thanks for sharing your idea.

RdgsBow

6. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

hi,
    nice piece of information. as i live in first floor it will be very useful for me. I will surely try. thank you.:idea
    vidya

7. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hi
    i had recently bought wire baskets in a horticulture show here.and some moss too. i am going to buy some plants today. thankyou for the handy tips.

8. sabibala

sabibala New IL'ite

Hi,
    The tips were very useful. In chennai where do we get such wire baskets, if you don't mine can I have acloser look at the basket and full view of how it is arranged. Thanks a lot in advance
    sabitha

9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

woww...very cute one......thanks for sharing these tips.......

10. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

that's beautiful...what a nice shot