1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss Tip of The Day - 2

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Aug 13, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

This I have told many times and this is something I follow. If you like watching TV make one serial as workout serial.
    So for example if you like watching a Saas Bahu Serial then keep small dumbbells next to your sofa OR you can use 2 water bottles filled with water and do the upper body toning exercises.

The exercises may not be very fancy but can be basic exercises that you can google on net and and do 25 counts of each exrecises while sitting and enjoying the show.

I had met a fabulous lady who lost quiet a lot of weight. So if she was not able to exercise she would sit and do simple body exercises while talking to us. The excises looked so simple but she used to do them in lot of repetitions. I tried those simple exercises without any weights and as the repetitions increased I could feel the muscles working. Then again I read in a magazine that exercising while watching TV is good and this is how I started making use of it.

It makes complete sense, you are transforming a couch potato time in moving your body and more your body moves the more calorie it burns. There is no simple and tough exercises, a movement is a movement and it burn calories.

Once you get into this habit you can increase the set like 25 counts of 2 sets.

This works, I have a pair of dumbbells next to my sofa and I do upper body workout while watching serial. Water bottle work fine, before rejecting this idea, give it a try once and see.

Few Excises that you can do while watching TV which can be done with weights and water bottles

1. Bicep Curls - Very simple and will take care of the hanging skin of your upper arms.

Hold the bottles in your hand and sit with your elbow touching you sides. Now hand will go up and then back to the middle/down position. You should feel your bicep muscles working.

You can start with doing alternate hands and then do with both hands.

[​IMG]

2. Triceps Curls - This is to make the back of your arms fir. You must have seen people when then lift their hands to side and the skin hangs due to age. These curls will take care of that.

[​IMG]

3. Shoulder Press - If you have fat on your shoulders then this exercise will help you. Also the upper back flab you will feel it working too.

1. You can do it first with alternate hands.

2. Then with both hands.

3. The other version of this exercise is to lift both the hands and move them like a scissor, this makes the plate between the shoulder woks and get in shape.

Try doing 25 counts of each version. You need not start with all three, you should gradually get in the new moves and the counts.

[​IMG]

4. Shoulder Fly - Great exercise to take care of the fat of the sides, right below the under arms.

[​IMG]

1. 25 counts with alternate hands.

2. 25 counts with both hands.

Though these exercises are shown in standing position no one is stopping you to do them in sitting position.

The idea is to keep a movement of upper body while watching the serial. And tell you what this is a tried and tested tip by me.

Do not think that water bottles won't work. Do you know we get plastic weights here which are very easy to carry while traveling, all you have to do is fill water inside the plastic dumb bells and after workout pour out the water. So water bottles do work, all you have to do is make sure that the lid is closed tightly.

The logic is simple, any body part when worked for more repetitions will firm up.

And no you won't develop muscles like men, its not at all possible in case of women until you inject some harmones. SO keep that worry aside about devloping muscles like a man.

If you are planning to use dumbbells then get a weigth which you are comfotable with, 2 kgs to 5 kgs works absolutely fine. We do not need to work with lot of weight, use light weight and more repitions and you will see the magic work.

These are just basic exercises, you can Google more.

Remember these are not simple exercises, you are working your upper body constantly for half an hour while watching the TV, so you are burning calories which really counts.

2. ohioji

ohioji New IL'ite

hi shiva, if we stop doing workout with dumbells, then will the skin get loose?

3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

awesome tip shiva.... I used to do the dumbell exercises when I go to gym, but I dont know any perfect order. You pictures come in really handy.. And its very good idea to do in home during our normal chitchat time, especially the winter is approaching...

Using the water bottle is absolutely good tip. I dont wait until I buy dumbells..

When you said filling bottle with water, something else popped in my head.. Sometimes, plastic water bottles when filled with water, even though its tightly sealed, water tends to drop when we move up and down, which may cause uncomfortable. We can fill the bottle with some solid items like, rice, rava, dhal etc... What do you say??

And as the previous poster asked, if I stop doing it after a while, will my skin go shaggy???

4. shivachoubey

Dear Ohioji,

The sagging of muscles will take place as we age, exercising just makes them look firm and when we stop exercising the muscles will not remain firm. To keep them firm you have to exercise.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

5. shivachoubey

Dear ILoveTulips,

Thanks for liking the tip honey. Yes filling the bottles with solid stuff is also good. As long as we are working the muscles with some weight it good enough.

As for muscles sagging, they will sag with age without exercise so why not invest half an hour and prevent that sagging :)

There is no such thing as "if I stop the exercise will my muscles sag", the truth is if you DON"T exercise they will automatically sag with age.

Thanks for the innovative idea of using solids in the water bottle. Its really a smart thing to do.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

6. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    Very good idea I will follow it And will you post some which can be followed when using computer at workplace.

Thanks
    Durga

7. shivachoubey

Dear DurgaPriye,

Thanks for liking the tip. Please do post few tricks to follow while using the computer.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

8. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shiva,

A wonderful tip dear. I truely can use my tv time to workout... never thought of it that way. Thank you.

Akila

9. shivachoubey

Dear Akila,

Thanks for liking the tip. I utilize my TV viewing time in doing upper body exercises, this way I don't feel bored.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

10. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

shiva,
    nice one...........it was so informative nd the pics made it easy to follow...........i appreciate ur dedication and willingness to help out people here..............thnx alot dear.