1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss - have I lost more than what I have bargained for ?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Sabitha_K, Jul 8, 2010.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shanthi thanks dear:)

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Great thread. Once a friend of mine appeared back in college after summer vaccation. She used to be as huge as me and she was back in this slim avatar. I was so damn impressed. She told me about a doctor she had visited and how he had put her on a strict diet of only milk 3 times a day. During a college function where we all girls had gathered up in a room for a change in dress, I was literally horrified to see her body. She was covered with white stripes all over the body, ofcourse those stripes were stretch marks. To me at that time being fat and then becoming thin after being fat both looked bad ideas.

Now, when I have some sense in my head and I have reduced lot of weight. I have the same amount of strech marks that I had while I was over weight. The few that I have remind me of my fat days and how much have I abused my body so they are my prized possessions.

I knew that if I don't take precautions I would end up with lots of stretch marks. My one motivation to lose weight was to wear short dresses and with stretch marks I knew I could never support that kind of stuff.

SO this is what I did, I applied stretch nil. Though it works slowly but it works. It helps in deep conditioning the skin. I always and always moisturize my body after bath, its a must and I follow it religious specially since the time I have started losing weight.

I also massage myself with oil. I hate anything that is time consuming, so I just keep a bottle of oil in my bath and just before the bath I give myself a nice massage of oil all over the body and then take my bath.

The best way to avoid and keep stretch marks at bay is to keep your skin moist and supple.

These are few tricks that I followed to avoid stretch marks.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva,
    I have dry skin due to eczema and its extra dry so what i apply on my entire body after bath is the JOHNSON AND JOHNSON AQUEAOUS CREAM it is so good i apply it generously all over my body and it keep my skin so hydrant and moist, this is the best cream i have come across and its not expensive at all, when its too hot here and we have dry heat here so i normally add a little johnson and johnson gel to my cream and apply all over my body.
    love
    alpa:cheers

4. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Alpa,

Wow, I will search for it. I have an oily skin but I love to massage my body with all sorts of creams, you can call it my weakness. So, I am gonna go and try this out. Thanks for sharing the tip.Have a great day ahead.

regards

5. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Wow! A nice and informative thread. I am trying to reduce myself and believe me, I never gave a thought of the after-effects so much so as to take precautions. But owing to this thread I know how much important it is to keep your skin moisturised! I do drink lots of water and I cant even think of myself applying oil and all. But really, you guys have opned my eyes!! I am definitely going to do it.

Sports bra - I hadn't thought of it at all, but thinking of it now, yes, it could be an esset.

Question :
    1) Which oil is the best to apply on the skin? Olive/Almond/Seasame(i think thats traditional way of using oil)

2) Shanvy, you did mention about the exercises, would you please share them?

Thanks once again everyone, I can start right away, because its rightly said - prevention is better than cure!

6. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Fortunately I did not have much after effects of losing weight this time except that all my nerves have suddenly found their way and come to the surface. Now my skin can be used as an exhibit of nervous system :( Did this happen to any one or is it me alone ?? I think my nerves were comfortably hiding under the flab all these years. Now due to the obvious nerves, people think I have lost more weight than I should be.

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Gayathri,

I use both almond and olive oil on my body.They are both good.Haven't used or heard sesame oil as moisturizer but would love to hear if someone has any experience before I stock my cupboard with more oils :crazy

Shan, even I was wondering the excercises you mentioned.Would be great if you can share them.

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva,
    oh that cream is the best it will make your skin so good like a baby's, its always good to use aquaueous creams they keep your skin moisturised and hydrate.you will ger them in the supermarket the colour of the lid is purple
    love
    alpa:cheers

9. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Never heard this acqueous cream.From your talks looks like this is a uber-cream.Let me scour the market and see if I can lay my hands on it.

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hey ALPA - Thx for that info on aqueous cream. I am extremely dry skinned both in summer and in winter. I remember using a brand called Aveeno (excuse me if I have got the name wrong) and it is a product of USA. Possibly the best cream I have found for my skin's dryness. Its a bit pricey but I feel it is worth the money. I shall look for this Johnson and Johnson stuff as well.

Pman16 - If I may barge in here. I suppose you are talking about your blood vessels all showing up and not the nerves :). I have seen this especially on people who are into a lot of weightlifting (depending on what is too much for a man and too much for a woman). I have noticed this on my hubby's arms. It is normal apparantly since the workouts force more blood to circulate into the area that is being worked out. Hence the vessels bulge to allow more blood to flow. Such arms could be such a delight to pathologists for drawing blood, don't you think?? hehehe....I am always a horrible visitor for pathologists as they can never find a vein easily on my arms....Anyway thats beside the point here. So there is nothing to worry about but how much bulging is too much?? This is something I am not sure either. I guess some experts here might be able to shed even much better light on this.