1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to Exercise: Gyms, treadmills, elipticals, yoga, cycling etc Discuss here

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by rumnair, Jul 12, 2007.

1. sreshta

sreshta New IL'ite

Re: yoga,gym,Aerobics

Regular walking, cycling, dumbells,and yoga.I am 60kgs and 5'4" No need to shed wt drastically but want to keep fit.
    Mubeen, along with exercise get oil massages also done so that stretch marks are not formed...

2. Mubeen

Mubeen Bronze IL'ite

i too want to do regular walking dear.. i stay in triplicane near to marina.. but i dont feel like going alone.. ya yesterday i went for a consultation for body massage for weightloss... and probably i may take up next month.. u r right sreshta, i have lots of strech marks on my tummy and i feel so bad abt it, but sometimes i feel happy also that my hardwork is giving me some good result.. i have lost 9 kgs in past 3 months... now i am 94kgs.. 5.4 in height.. i want to lose alteast 10 more kgs in next 2 months.... where r u living?

3. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Gym& Aerobics kind of go hand-in hand... I do elliptical and other upper and lower body workouts in the gym 3 days a week and 2 days i do aerobics twice a day.

The best part it i don't get tired, feel lite, less food cravings. love to drink a lot lot of water. Almost 2 litres in a day.

diet, i eat normal diet, but watch what i eat, i basically skip 2nd serving for anyting like rice or idli or dosai..

As for yoga, i was doing pilates for quite sometime, it works really well for people who are already in shape and trying to keep it up, some breathing exercises in yoga workout really well.

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Aerobics is a high intensity workout and works wonders if you are looking for a quick method for wt. reduction. Apart from the fact that its a very enjoyable form of exercise . but you need to keep in mind the current health scenario. You will have to be careful while performing Aero ,if you have problems like BP etc.
    Yoga basically involves an exercise in a soothing form, and is a slower process of wt reduction but it is more benficial in the long run. It also has medical benefits,and an asana for every ailment.And age is not a factor here. Any body from any age group can avail of the benefits of yoga.
    Gym again is more of a muscle building exercise ,so it completely depends on what kind of a body are you are looking for. It also helps in burning out the excess cellulite but again your body condition have to approve of it.
    All in all your choice of exercise I guess would depend upon the need of the hour, your age and your medical condition.
    Whatever exercise you choose, a very important aspect is your diet . If that not controlled and well balanced ,all your exercise efforts are a complete waste!

Devika

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  5. mayavi

mayavi New IL'ite

Gopinath,

Actually, a combination of two of these will work well. Three would be better!

Aerobics or fast walking helps with the heart and circulation which is amazingly important to keep all of our systems in shape and running smoothely like a well oiled engine.

Lifting weights and Gym exercises help strenghten our muscles and joints and keep them supple and healthy. It also helps build strong bones to stave off osteoporosis, etc. Strong muscles use a lot more calories and will help lose weight faster.

Yoga is necessary to reduce stress. In combination with meditation, it will help us from gaining any more weight. (Stress builds up cortisol which makes us gain more weight..)

There are many reasons why people gain weight. Lack of activity, eating the wrong foods, low metabolism, stress, lack of fiber in diet, hormonal changes, effects of medication, depression (which leads to lack of activity, etc)

So the best method for losing weight is to alternate between these three so that you do two each per day. Yoga and Gym in one day and Aerobics + yoga the next day and so on..

Hope this helps

Mayavi's My 2centsMy 2cents

6. chinmunni

chinmunni New IL'ite

suggest the best indoor exercise equipment

hi all,

My cousin resides in NJ,USA. She is a die hard exercise-holic who maintains a good figure inspite of a hectic schedule. SHes interested in spending in a good indoor exercise equipment bcos shes unable to go out for walking/gym in winter.
    Shes confused as to buy whether stepper,treadmill or abs machines or any other digital equipment, Please help her with her confusion, she wants to buy a digital one whichever, so as to keep track of calories burned everyday,She plans atleast 150 calories everyday:hiyaThe couple doesnt mind investing upto 1000 dollars even,

Friends, please come up with your suggestions
    Chin

7. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Skipping/Jumping Rope

Hi Friends,

I just want to ask, whether skipping with skipping rope is harmful for ladies uterus/ovary especially after the delivery. I heard from somebody that its not good, It may lower the uterus or something like that which would result in complication. Is it true? or a myth.

Please shed some light on this and advice your valuable comments.

8. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Skipping/Jumping Rope

Same here, even I heard from some doctors saying its not good to do after pregnancy and delivery.
    But I have seen so many American ladies doing it.
    It all depends on you, if you could do it without any problem then fine.
    I do jump on the trampoline and don't have any problems.

9. IndusGuy

IndusGuy New IL'ite

Re: Bollywood Dance fitness!

I do. There are two variants.

One is Choreo and other is Aerobics.

Choreo is actually getting to know steps to dance to
    a single song like mauja hi mauja. Not very fitness
    oriented if you ask me.

But aerobics where you dance continously for an hour
    to bollywood music with bollywood moves is fun and can
    help you lose 600calories in a session.

10. IndusGuy

IndusGuy New IL'ite

Re: Bollywood Dance fitness!

There are quite a few in Silicon valley where I live.