1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Usage of Pressure Handi

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by raji2678, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

This model has just been launched in the Bangalore market. I am given to understand that it will be put on the site shortly.
    Arunadhri

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Arunadhri ma'am
    You are giving us fabulous info about products which helps in making the right choice.:thumbsup

I have a doubt...
    Is a hard anodised pressure handi suitable for sauteeing? It's features are similar to aluminium right?
    Planning to buy one exclusively to prepare kootu,subzis etc in a jiffy.What's your reccomendation to serve my purpose ma'am?

Thanks
    Sowmya

3. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Hard anodizing is a process that converts the outer surface of aluminum to a hard aluminum oxide coating by anodizing, which is the reverse of electroplating. The coating is about 50 micrometers thick, Chemically it is the same as sapphire.

Since the coating s quite thin it does not affect the bulk properties of the base aluminum. The good heat conductivity of aluminum is intact. It is good for sauteing. It is very wear resistant and does not get scratched.

It is a ceramic and is brittle. If tapped hard with the sharp edge of a steel Spoon (chettuvam or such) the coating may chip. However, aluminum oxide is quite non toxic and does not cause any harm.

Many may be unaware of another point. Anodized aluminum coating is slightly porous. It may pick up a uniform colour that looks as though the coating has worn off. It is just an added on colour, which can be cleaned with a scrub using any kitchen cleaning agent like Pril. Teepol or other with a nylon scrub.

Lastly, (somewhat apolegetically) it is man not ma'am.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/new-member-area/82748-who-am-i-part-4-a-72.html#post1139184

Arunadhri

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Ramani Sir (Arunadhri)
    I stand corrected.:) Had a hearty laugh reading your intro sir.
    This being my first post in the subforum I assumed you were a lady seeing the detailed ,clear reply to other queries.:oops:

Thanks a lot for the useful info.
    BTW I belong to the ramani family too.My FIL is Mr.N.Ramani.

Regards
    Honeybee

5. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

The flautist Ramani? Then there is another story.
    I was living in Arundel street in Mylapore next door to N.Ramani, when I was teaching in IIT Madras in 1962. I used to work late in the lab and one Sunday was sleeping late in the morning. There was a knock on the door. When I opened it I found two people with a steel plate with coconut, Betel nut and leaves, a long garland and two LP records.

One of the visitors asked, 'Are you Ramani?'
    Still a bit groggy, I replied'Yes'. The other chap immediately put the garland around my neck and said,'We are coming from Saraswati Music House (An AVM company). They told us to give your just released LP and come'.
    I asked them if it was N.Ramani they wanted. They nodded dumbly. I pointed to the terrace next door and said,'The man you see up there walking around is N.Ramani, I am A.V.Ramani'.
    Before I could even blink they whisked off the garland, plucked away the plate and ran off hot foot.

A very short lived borrowed fame.

I loved his music even then as I do now also.

As an aside, that was one of the best வாழைப்பழத்தில் ஊசி when you wrote: I assumed you were a lady seeing the detailed ,clear reply to other queries.

The implication being that the male of the species cannot give such answers.

Arunadhri

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010