1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tips needed - buying an old home, need lots of upgrades

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Laks09, Jul 29, 2014.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations, Laks. I don't have much to add. For light fixtures, try to find a local/ independent store. We've 'Kirby Risk' where I live (which is only 1.5 hr away from Chicago- I thought that's where you live or may be I am confusing you with another poster). Anyway, selection is great and different style than the chain stores.
    We have a gas burner and we love it. heating is much more uniform. We've Kenmore. My FIL is a master gardener and he does landscaping for us (they live 3 hrs away from us and swing by once or twice a month). he also built patio for us and I agree with you on stone patios.
    We've a toddler and hardwood floor are much easier to keep clean. We've tiles in kitchen and I hate it. That will be our next upgrade.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

I think kids area should be fine as long as you think they will not mess it up with water :). Water is the main enemy for Wood floor. I have wooden floor everywhere and I love it because it has uniformed look but it is high maintenance when it comes to kitchen. I personally don't like carpets so if you ask me wood is good for kids room :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Chitravivek

Nuss: We are so opposite on this. gigglingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Chitra, you are not alonefriendssmiley. We have tiles in kitchen and I love it. With the kids and all the spilling, I feel tiles is a better option. JMO

2 people like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips Mal. I appreciate it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

thanks Nitha. Yup, renovation is an open palette even for us. I'm hoping this time around it will be different.
    Love the kitchen and the bathroom. Tell me something, with our Indian cooking how are you managing the corian counter top? I'm planning on either keeping the existing granite or having new granite tiles in the kitchen.
    I loved those bath tiles. Will use it somewhere!

7. Laks09

Nuss - can I borrow your FIL? It's so nice that he's landscaping for you guys.
    I live down south, btw. Nowhere near Chicago but I'll look for a local store. I'm also looking for a few online.
    I guess the gas burner wins hands down. I'm going to keep Kenmore in mind. Thnaks for the brand name.
    Lim sure you are bugged with the grout that take forever to clean. Try seamless tiles. They may work.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Laks,
    It is not Corian, it is quartz that we have as kitchen countertop. Quartz works well with the Indian cooking. Still looks great, and shiny. This is the colour I have http://www.countertopguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/quartz-1.jpg

1 person likes this.
  9. Chitravivek

Laks. Forgot. Do you drink wine or entertain friends then you should consider wine cooler. We have one I love it just for the look and value it adds to my kitchen. I don't drink wine or any drinks. My husband very rare. We do entertain friends so stock it up. I love granite on my kitchen. Safe and I have little dark ones so easy to maintain. If I find link to my house I will PM you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Chitra,
    Yes, we do consume wine and stock up too. I'll definitely look at adding the wine cooler. Thanks for the tip.
    The quartz looks good. It may work for the bathroom counter too! Thanks for suggesting.
    Yes, if you find pics, please PM them. It'll be nice to get some ideas.

Thanks again,
    L