1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Nice to hear from you Maggi. Keep up your good work. Start your yoga for sure from tomorrow.

My Yesterday : Since I skipped exercise I grabbed the opportunity to take my DD's cycle to fill air as it was not in use for long time. My dad is very keen that she should learn cycling at least this vacation. He was the who made my son to ride when he was 7 and the activa last summer.

I pushed the cycle all the way, filled air and back. My Dad was waiting there. Sometimes he is very pushy but I have to admit that he is my first inspiration to keep things where it belongs to and to keep up timing.

As chappathi was little boring, made lapsi upma for all. Yesterday the TV which we had shifted and wall mounted had suddenly had a burning smell, went off. So everybody was seeing TV upstairs.

While doing upma, I cut mixed veg for today's making fried rice as lunch for all of us.

Today: Got up at 5 started cooking, put kolam. Made phulkas. Finished by 6. Packed the lunch boxes. Kept slices of bread for break time snack for DS. Phulkas for DH. Warmed the remaining Upma for DS as B/F. For all others oats porridge with milk for Mil and Dh, with buttermilk for myself. Bread for DD.

Morning woke up DD at 6.30. Told her to be ready. By 7 DH took her to a school ground where my Dad (74) was waiting to guide her cycling. DH went off for a walk. All of them came back by 7.45.

Today being ekadasi, no detailed cooking after bath. Mil made moong dhaal porridge for fil. I cooked rice, rasam and brinjal curry. soaked channa to be made for dinner.

Then around 10 folded clothes, kept in cupboards and have been browsing my usual things since then.

After lunch, was contemplating to start cutting for my salwar or DD's paavadai blouse. But couldn't settle on a design. Deciding the design for her blouse takes maximum time for me. Taught doing cross stitch for her on a pre-drawn flower pattern with colors printed on a matti cloth.

Around 4 had coffee. Cooked channa dhaal, fried onion tomatoes and spices for the dish. Let it cool. Made the phulka dough. Went with DD cycling to a nearby so called park. While she was playing I walked around the park for half an hour. Then came back prompted my DS to study, started preparing channa while making phulkas.

Then chatted with DS, had dinner together. DH came by 9.30, served him, now editing my afternoon's post.

For tomorrow planning to make brinjal rice for lunch boxes. Need to go leave my in-laws at their home (maintaining it for short stays as well as to stay whenever their other sons & families come from US during vacation) for they are attending a temple kumbabishekam in 2 days, will do their maintenance, will be back in a week's time.

That is all for today.

Manjukps

4 people like this.
  2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala,

What was My Plan today?:confused2: Well well, after reading this thread, I am so 'sad and confused' just like you were after reading the various snippets!! If I had even one tenth of your talent, you would have read a looooong snippet about the emotions I went through reading this!! Alas, I will settle for a simple feedback here! :oops:

Time management and me are not related. Result is you will often find me huffing and puffing to meet an unexpected turn of events on some days!:spin Just as I think I have everything under control, someone may show up or a daughter would have requested some 'left over' food--mind you, she will add 'only if possible'. Well, when your child asks, it is always possible! Then I may be immersed in an interesting movie which for some reason stretches through all of two and a half hours :idontgetit: or I may end up reading a looong and growing thread on 'time management' :rotfland out goes the plan of baking a cheesecake! I don't know what it is, may be a certain portion of my brain which understand the concept of time and management is not working efficiently, I am clueless!:bonk

But then, I am clever(even if I say so myself...as no one else is willing to say!!!) and years of managing the house and kitchen has given me enough tips to keep work simple. So, no need to worry, you can still visit me anytime and I will only repeat what I tell everyone, take us( me and my house) as we are!:)

Whew Kamala, what a whirlwind of schedules. Your house must be just as smooth and clean as your English! Besides, I loved all the interesting recipes and suggestion for food in your posts and others' feedbacks too. I feel like I should go soak for some adai or aapam now!

A very meticulously penned and a very useful thread Kamala. It is bound to attract any woman and will be a reference page for many. Congratulations on being nominated to FP by Vijima!:thumbsup Maybe some of it will rub off on me........

L, Kamla

4 people like this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi love2 smile,

Don't worry too much. With a small baby they lead our life. Take enough rest. Enjoy with your baby. Everyday is not the same with the baby. Whenever you can you do the work. Whenever you are doing it should be enjoyable. Make your cooking very simple but healthy. When you can get help from DH do elaborate cooking.

I don't know how old is your baby. Be careful that you don't have any small particles on the floor which she might put in her mouth out of curiosity

Regards
    Manjukps

2 people like this.
  4. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I never noticed the clock often, like how i noticed yesterday:hide:.
    I find it good to notice time, it helped me in many way.
    Yesterday on the way to home i purchased greens, egg, hair oil and deo for my hubby.
    As soon as i went in, it's 7.05 PM, decluttered the hall, dumped the washable clothes in the bucket, broomed the floor, in the mean while i steamed my left over briyani and fried the chicked for Dinner, before i come out of kitchen i ensured that the Kitchen platform & sink is clean, done with all dish washes. then by 8.00 PM i started to separate the leafy green & cleaned it for next day lunch, stored in fridge.

Now i am ready to fold the clothes and arranged in my wardrobe (now my sofa is clean). I was too hungry and ate before my husband comes and relaxed by watching Television, as soon as he come served him dinner , washed the plates and before going to bed washed my face and applied the cream.

Here not done ironing, hence i planned to wear synthetic salwar (again going lazy:bonk).

Rest in Next.

Magee

1 person likes this.
  5. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Today i woke up at 6.20 only, refreshed and pressure cooked greens which was cleaned and stored by me yesterday and made keerai masiyal, and boiled the eggs and fried it with masala done with my lunch and it's 7.30 i come out of kitchen with a cup of green Tea and relaxed for just 5 min't in sofa to enjoy my tea, then i went in to pack my lunch and got ready to office by 8.15, lighted the lamp prayed and came to office.

Today i cleaned my bathroom before taking bath, not a elaborate but a simple wash over, planned to do it every day before bath, to maintain it (offcourse it's a tips from this thread) once it sets done, i also wanna hand wash my clothes every day before bath. And today also missed my yoga, waked up late.

Rest in Next

Magee

1 person likes this.
  6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Today it was usual in the morning. Packed brinjal rice with soya chunks for lunch boxes except for my DS. But no B/F as we wanted to have early meal, so that PIL wanted to leave early. After early meal I dropped my PILs at their home. Unusually heavy traffic at that time (12 noon). Swept two rooms for their immediate use. Back by 1.30. Had a good sleep around 2. Got up at 3 did the left over cleaning work in the kitchen. Didn't go pick my DS as the TV repair guy came that time. DS walked to home. Made Pasta for kids. Watered the garden, weeded, sown some seeds (both flowers and veg). Wanted to surprise my fil with some new plants - no, saplings when he is coming back.

Today I was bit relaxed. No TV downstairs last two days (fine for me - That is the first electronic equipment I hate). DH arrived only at 9.30 pm. Then only made dosa for all, had the remaining channa made yesterday.

Tomorrow's Menu plan is dosa for B/F with onion, tomato chutney. phulka for snack time for DH.( Holiday for DS.) bisibelle bath for lunch. Hoping to try lapsi idli for dinner or something different.

Regards
    Manjukps

Regards
    Manjukps.

3 people like this.
  7. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala Ma'am,
    Thanks a lot for this motivational thread.:)
    I manage to keep the home well, but the area I need to concentrate and work on is Regular fitness regime and hours before the desk-top.:hide:
    I am sure, slowly and steady, by seeing all your posts and our dear friends' posts here, I shall get the hang of it.:)
    Thanks ma'am and other friends , I shall come here regularly and learn from you all and keep you posted with my improvement.:cheers

2 people like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamla

What was My Plan today?:confused2:

Haha! Kamla...you? confused? I don't think so. You write so well in the FP forum and give such beautiful feedbacks whichever forum a nominated thread belongs to.

Time management and me are not related. Result is you will often find me huffing and puffing to meet an unexpected turn of events on some days!:spin

I truly agree with you on this; been there done that...especially the unexpected events and even more so an interesting movie that I never intended to watch. These are sure time stealers.

But then, I am clever(even if I say so myself...as no one else is willing to say!!!) and years of managing the house and kitchen has given me enough tips to keep work simple.
    I am very sure you are an expert.I see a sticky thread created by you in this forum. Your home must be impeccable.

So, no need to worry, you can still visit me anytime and I will only repeat what I tell everyone, take us( me and my house) as we are!:)

I am looking forward to visiting you one day soon...thank you for the invite.

Whew Kamala, what a whirlwind of schedules. Your house must be just as smooth and clean as your English!
    Thanks Kamla...well I don't know about my English but right now my home is on its way to being smooth and clean.
    I am making a headway into getting rid of the CHAOS - Can't Have Anyone Over - state and my home is reasonably neat all day. So if you visit me, I repeat your words to take me and my house as we are.

Besides, I loved all the interesting recipes and suggestion for food in your posts and others' feedbacks too. I feel like I should go soak for some adai or aapam now!
    Yes, Manju and others have contributed a lot of shortcuts. Manju happens to be super-woman. My mind has reeled many a day reading her whirlwind schedule.
    Many readers' contribution has added immense value to this thread and I thank them for their support.

A very meticulously penned and a very useful thread Kamala. It is bound to attract any woman and will be a reference page for many. Congratulations on being nominated to FP by Vijima!:thumbsup Maybe some of it will rub off on me........

Thank you again Kamla! I do hope at least a few readers benefit from this. It is easy to under-estimate the time some chores take, ending up not completing a task. Similarly it also easy to overestimate some and never attempt to do them for want of time.
    I am not there yet, but hope to give detailed work methods. slowly. I am exploring ways to keep the interest from waning. Let me see if I can maintain it.

It is an honor to be nominated; and sincerely thank Vijikka for this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this thread and for your lovely feedback.

4 people like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju, Magee, luv2smile, Vijikka..
    You go girls!
    Very nice to see you all pitch in and keep this thread going.

Yesterday, I could not come in due to some disturbing news we got. My mind was ruminating over it and I could not concentrate on this. I tried to get my thoughts in order by giving feedback in the snippets section; but I failed.

so I am happy to see all your inputs.
    Thanks much

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My dear Bhargavi
    Welcome.
    Don't worry too much about things you are not able to do.
    Once you document your routine you will be able to see where time goes.
    Also remember sometimes we have to let go and relax. These moments will energize you.

We look forward to your valuable experiences and how you slowly reach your target.

1 person likes this.