1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

SURYANAMASKAR REGIME CHALLENGE ( Aim to reach 108 by March 2016 )

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Swasha, Mar 26, 2015.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Can anyone answer my question aboutb6 th step as I mentioned in post #11

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Pman16,

My apologies. It was an oversight.

To transition directly from step 5 ie., plank to step 6 needs some amount of good arm strength. The alternative way would be from the plank, bring your knees down to the mat then, push your upper body forward and bring your chest down followed by the chin. This video link http://www.artofliving.org/yoga/yoga-poses/sun-salutation I had shared shows the same with some variation. You don't have to go to child pose before moving forward but bringing the knees down will certainly help.

Some things that can help you strengthen your arms as you come down, shifting your weigh slightly forward, trying to keep the elbows towards the belly will help you. Once in a while try and see if you can come down completely without the help of knees.

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Okay @Pman16, I re-read the post. To hold the tummy up try to push your palms down firmly into the earth allowing to take the weight of the upper body as well as support the upper body while moving the upper body forward such that when you come down your palms are in alignment with your chest. Some amount of abdominal strength is also needed here but try to focus on how you push your arms down and move your body.

This is slightly a hard pose and I do want to put it out there that shoulder injuries are the most common injuries in yoga. So slowly start working your way up.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Swasha, didn't mean to ignore this.
    Here's what I follow -

In SN A, down ward dog is held for 5 breaths ie., 5 inhales and exhales.
    surya-namaskar-a-1.jpg

I absolutely love this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5PSqmnu88 but remember he is very advanced in his practice. You can walk instead of jumping.

1 person likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

My count for today, 29th march -

SN a - 3
    SN b - 2

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Srama for the detailed reply. I will keep in mind your inputs the next time I do SN. I still have a hard time in doing the 6th position as I lay flat on ground ...I'm trying to hold the abdomen . I want to overcome that and will get better at it.

Today was a very hot day so walked 2 miles late evening. No SN.

I like to add this thread is motivating me to do SN !!

1 person likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Anytime, pman! I practice quite a bit of yoga but SN is a challenge for me and this thread motivates me too. I have to add on a lighter note that I envy you for saying "it was very hot today" But we are slowly climbing up, though no where near being very hot :biggrin2:

Keep posting updates and don't let step no 6 come in the way. It is okay to get flat on the stomach till you build strength. Just make sure you follow the order of knees, chest and stomach - coming down in that order. You will be surprised how quickly you will build stamina.

1 person likes this.
  9. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Once or twice I could get the correct posture for 6th step.. I need to build my arm strength. I really admire SN for the overall wonders it does !

1 person likes this.
  10. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

I am back, Normally on weekends I can not take out time for workout so I consider them as rest days :).

So here is my log

March 26-- 20 SNs
    March 27-- 20 SNs
    March 28-- Rest Day
    March 29-- 4 miles walk

2 people like this.