1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on decorating my new living room ...

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by appuli, Apr 5, 2012.

1. appuli

appuli New IL'ite

HI Ladies,

Hope everyone is doing good.
    I thought this is the right forum to express my questions and I am sure will get the right answers.
    We are moving to a new flat soon, which was my dream to go into a better apartment in Deira.Its a 2 bed and spacious hall etc.
    I really want to decorate it beautifully and make it a dream home.
    I was thinking of designing my hall and dining area a little Indian ethnic or antique kind of living room.
    I really dont have any kind of decorative pieces now, and want to buy some.
    I want suggestions like what all I can add to my living room(Dining attached), what kind of furniture, and decorative items.
    Decorative I mean what kind of corner pieces ,plants,posters,frames,gods, wing chimes anythng basically :)
    My hall is in Trapeziod shape, rectangle which is gets small on 1 side.

All your ideas are most welcome.

THanks & Regards
    Appuli

2. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

If you can post few pictures of your flat then I can suggest you something.

3. appuli

appuli New IL'ite

Thanks Pranitm for the quick reply.Right now I dont have any pictures of the flat...but willl try to get them soon.
    But can you give me some ideas ...placing of furniture I will try to figure out...rest decorations like for wall, corners etc ...

4. tkswetha

tkswetha Silver IL'ite

Hi ,

You will get so many wall decors for the wall in living room because having a wall empty in the living doesn't look good.

for the furniture and other tips, pls refer to my "Interior designing tips and advice" post in the same forum and you will get better idea.If you have any queries pls post it there so that i can reply to the same.

5. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Dear Appuli,

Just go to google ,type living room,see in the images mode.

You will be wondered to see many types .I particularly like tropical designs.

Try it .I am sure you will get so many ideas.

6. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Appuli

Just visit IKEA in Festival City, where you will find beautifully done drawing / dining / bedrooms model. You have to just choose the best as per your pocket, size and lay out of your house. Pan Emirates in Al Barsha / Home Centre in Al Quoz also have few models that you can pick up from.

If you get into IKEA, there nothing else in the world of furniture and home decor that you dont find. Every bit from kitchen utensils, lightings, corner tables, tea /centre/dining tables, beds, mattresses, wardrobe, sinks, built in kitchen, bathroom fittings, plants, paintings, frames, book sheves.......etc. etc. you will find in one roof. Just make a trip after taking measurement of your house / requirement one day. Even at IKEA you will find scale and pencil to measure and note down and then you may check at your home and another day make the purchase.

You will have a beautiful designer dream home now.

Gud luck
    Shanti

7. appuli

appuli New IL'ite

Thanks Swetha, kishore and shanti for the ideas.
    Swetha...you are right was thinking of wall decors.
    Kishore: google is definitely a source and most of the time for anything I go to google, but I am jst looking for something customized from the experts here :) :) :) .
    Shanti : You are right Ikea was always my fav place ...its wonderful to walk thru all the decor there...
    But I am looking for somethg different like Antique museum etc ..so can get somethng unique...
    But I will still visit Ikea for furniture ...

Thanks ladies...

8. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear appuli

If you are looking for antiques, there is a place in the border of Sharjah / Dubai who have a big warehouse where they sell old Indian antique furnitures, faces and other artefacts. But the price is very high. Anything antique is expensive. SEcondly, here the permanancy is not there. So we always think why spend more when we have to keep moving.......anyway its your choice of course.

The antique pieces are also available at Heritage Village near Port Rashid and if you go to Souq al Bahar in Burj down town area, you can find many antiques.

What is your price range???

Best Regards
    Shanti

9. appuli

appuli New IL'ite

Thanks a ton Shanti, was looking for something exaclty u have mentioned. Thats very true about the expenses u mentioned. But I always liked old traditional houses. Well I may not be spending a lot...I am only looking for decor things....wont prefer furniture frm there... I wouldnt mind spending around 300 to 500 AED on some antique piece...

I stay in Deira so I would prefer going to heritage village u mentioned...

In btw I see ur a voracious book reader...Do u know any libraries here ??

Regards
    Appuli

10. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Appuli

You are most welcome.......

There are lending libraries in Bur Dubai, Karama, Jumeira etc. that I know. I dont know about Deira. In Karama, in Pyramid building there is Archies Lending Library. You can take annual membership and take books / magazines etc. regularly. There is one in Meena Bazar and one in Jumeira Plaza also.

Karama one has good collection and parking is not a prob.

Best Regards
    Shanti