1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Soya -- Oj's Witless Brevity 7

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 4, 2016.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Hi kaniths! :anguished:

2. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Having spent more than unnecessary time plodding the murky depths of East Asian culture, I assure you that Chinese and Japs may look the same to us, but have a bitter history. Who was the man who slipped a bit of soy on himself? A Japanese or a Chinese?

b. 'slim'--- again, slimness is pretty colloquial around those parts. It's mundane and ordinary. 'plumpness' on the other hand, is a more memorable quality that strikes them.

Nice writeup, definitely makes the reader think a bit on the subtext (or lack thereof).

3. ojaantrik

Dear Magician,

すばらしい。How long have you lived in Japan? How good is your Japanese? どこで日本語の勉強しましたか? この話あなたはわからないと思います。"same to us" の中の誰が "us" です? 私は その "us" に入ってない。

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Nice write up.... Good one @ojaantrik

ojaantrik likes this.
  5. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

I don't have the keyboard so you will have to make do with what I write here.

Oj san was sugoku omoshiroi desu ne. Omoshiroi to zurui. Atashi wa go nen mai gakkou ni nihongo benkyo shimashita. Ii desu ka?

vaidehi71, Rihana and ojaantrik like this.
  6. ojaantrik

Thank you kcb.

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shri Ojaantrick,
    Your single drop of soya sauce reminds me of a single drop of blood.As a history professor my father used the word'one drop'very often while teaching about races in US.
    The one-drop rule is a sociological and legal principle of racial classification that was historically prominent in the United States asserting that any person with even one ancestor of sub-Saharan-African ancestry ("one drop" of black blood) is considered to be black (Negro in historical terms).
    As my husband was involved in a major accident and suffered cerebral haemorrage ( and still has impact )I am more familiar with multiple Sclerosis,a long lasting disorder that can affect brain and spinal cord and optic nerves.

Many nerves are coated in myelin. Myelin is an insulating material that, when it’s worn away or damaged, decreases nerve function. Without myelin, nerves can deteriorate, causing problems in the brain and throughout the body. Damage to myelin around nerves is called demyelination and this can be caused by a single drop of blood.
    Dear OJ,
    Your brevity has rewinded my crisis laden years.I am really scared to think of.

Jayasala 42

8. ojaantrik

私は十ねんぐらい日本のいろいろ大学で経済の教授だった。

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In a school that had us wear white shirts and blouses in dusty tropical climate, and teachers insisted on us using fountain ink pen and not a ball-point pen, sometimes a drop of ink made its way to spots on the blouse. The good girls always had enough "badges" - school badge, 'house' badge, class monitor badge... one of them badges could be moved to cover up the blemish.

satchitananda and ojaantrik like this.
  10. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Aa sou ka. Kono forum ni mo iro iro na Jin desu ne. Subarasshi.

Hima no jikan ga owari. Sore ja o yasuminasai.

ojaantrik and vaidehi71 like this.