1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Mystery -- Oj's Witless Brevity 3

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jun 12, 2016.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Part 1.

Forty years ago.

A crowd had gathered. Mostly nosey neighbours, watching in silence. A few mumbling to each other in tones expressing dismay. No one knew exactly how to react. It must have been early morning when it was noticed.

Who was the first one to locate it was a mystery, no less mysterious than the identity of the man whose foot, amputated at the ankle, lay discarded in the middle of the street. The right foot. Thick coagulated blood covering the wound and a bit of white protruding from the middle. Fibula? But for the foot, it could have been a small saucer smeared with layers of strawberry jam, topped by vanilla ice-cream. No one eats ice-cream that way, from an inclined saucer. Not that anyone wished to find out how it tasted.

Possibly a man, as opposed to a woman, by the size of the foot. No footwear. But for the strawberry part, it was not a blood smeared foot. As though neatly sawn off by a surgeon. Clean enough. Sunburnt skin. Possibly the man was not as dark as the sunburnt foot. Idle speculation.

Part 2.

The courtyard of the three storied mansion was separated from the street by a boundary wall. On it lay the man. A rope loosely tying his hands together. Loosely. No sign of force. Small man, long hair. He was wearing a disheveled dhoti and a white kurta. He lay on his back staring straight at the sky. Except that his eyes were still. He was quite dead. No sign of blood.

It was not his ankle that lay on the street beyond the boundary wall. Couldn't have been, or else he would need to be a three legged creature. Both his feet were intact. Not tied together. Uncovered. No slippers or any other footwear in the vicinity. Like the foot, less than fifteen yards away. Besides, he was a fair skinned person, colours did not match. The crowd watched and wondered. Whispering to each other. Did he jump from the balcony? Was he pushed from behind?

No one knew if the man, whose severed foot lay on the other side of the boundary, was dead too. No one even knew who the man without the right foot was. Some knew the man in the courtyard. Vaguely.

Part 3.

The police arrived and before anyone could be questioned, the inquisitive crowd dispersed. Few wished to be involved. Bengali middle class. It lives in mystery novels in the security of second hand bookstores.

Part 4.

The body with the feet and the foot without the body were carried away.

But people spoke to one another in hushed tones whenever they passed that way. Not for too long.

Part 5.

Memories wither away.

Even if the mystery hangs still.

Forty years later.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Waiting to know what happened forty years later. Felt sad

vaidehi71 and ojaantrik like this.
  3. ojaantrik

Dear Viji,

You have to find it out for yourself. I won't tell you!! :)

oj

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Oh suspense

ojaantrik likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    Scientists the world over are in agreement now that there is order in chaos too. Physicists and mathematicians wonder, is the weather merely difficult to predict, or inherently unpredictable? Does turbulence transcend mathematical description, or does it all make sense when you tackle it with the right math? Logic is spreading its tentacles to cover more and more unexplained complexities of science.

Forty years and yet nobody knows anything about the body with the feet and the foot without the body. In these forty years, a million riddles of the vast Universe have been solved. We usually get bogged down only by mysteries closer home!
    Sri

satchitananda likes this.
  6. ojaantrik

Dear Sri,

Lost My Count of Time

oj

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ-da,

Intriguing story. Grisly, gruesome story. Enjoyed reading. The mystery has been immortalized. :-D

ojaantrik likes this.
  8. ojaantrik

Thank you Satchi. Recall your painful precis writing experience. I had gone through similar experiences in school. But this is a new toy fot me now. I enjoy playing with it.

To my knowledge, flash fiction is just a new name they have discovered. It has existed for a long time. In Bengali literature, it was popularized by a well-known writer who wrote under the pen name Banaphool. Some claim he was influenced by O.Henry. But I haven't read flash fiction by O.Henry. One can google and find out of course.

Even if there are few responses, this is one time at least that I am not bothered.

oj-da

satchitananda likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Must be people dont know what fb to give. My dear Anna And Satchi, s fbs are equal to many. Fbs. . Somehow I gave fb but Did not know what to write. As i. Am still learning sime things in life. Could have waited. For others fbs

ojaantrik likes this.
  10. ojaantrik

No problem Viji. The world continues to rotate on its axis independe t of what we say or do. That's ehere the fun lies. We feel we make a difference. Actually we don't. Just read Cheeniya's description of the cosmic drama. The pattern in randomness. Some call it God. Others call it Quantum Mechanics. Still others speak of White Noise. Thise who enjoy brevity simply describe it as Noise. Single world to describe the entire universe.
    oj

Kamalji and Pickle like this.