1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

South Beach diet

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by neets, May 19, 2010.

1. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Beeamma,

i agree with that point and that too that its not mentioned in the book.FRom what i read from another article Brown rice always has lower GI Than White rice.So brown Basmati rice will be better than White basmati rice.

The Glycemic Index

2. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Thanks neets. Yes, the brown version of any kind of rice will be better than the white version of the same type. Reason being:

"Whole Brown Rice is rice in its original form with the bran intact; white rice is brown rice that has gone through at least one of several processes, including polishing, parboiling and/or pre-cooking."

Phase 2: Updates
    ------------------------
    Back to Mung dal chile for the whole day with the whole grain and fruit addition to the dinner. For now sticking to daliya (cracked wheat). Will know in a few days if this affects the weight loss.

3. sudarabi

sudarabi New IL'ite

hi neets..
    i sorry for u pls dont say rice as a culprit...we are culprits n we made rice to top the list...rice when consumed in its native form ie boiled and hand pounded is the best staple food ever in this world. Japanese are healthier than rest of the world they are less in heart problems and diabetes.
    i have taken the same south beach diet with hand pound rice n had amazing results!!!!!!

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Yes, chinese and Japanese are major rice eating populations and they are known to be skinny and generally in great health. I think we tend to overdo the portions. What is hand "pounded rice"?

Update on week 1 in phase 2:
    I let caution go to the wind. Ate many sugary foods and found excuses to justify eating them when they were in front of me:bonk.

I have gained back 1.6 lbs of the weight. Going to be more disciplined this week. This diet is highly dependent on restricting portions of carbs.

5. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

HI Sudarabi,

That was not a general statement,its a personal one applied to my case.it was the culprit in my case because i was having rice 2 times a day and of course it was white rice(enriched one),which is totally not recommended on diet or outside diet.

i know rice is the best food that too now research shows that parboiled rice(brown one) like what i used to eat at my native place is the best one.

6. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Phase 2 seems to be deceptive for me. I am having a challenging time resisting the carb filled goodies. Ate glucose biscuits and chapati+jam (leftover from dd's dinner) Just goes to show how weak I am when it comes to carbs.

Anyways, also made a good dish for brekfast

Ingredients
    Green beans 2 cups
    Cooked chana 1 cup
    sliced almonds 1/4 cup (or any seeds like sunflower seeds)
    poppy seeds 1 tbsp
    balsamic vinegar (any vinegar or lime juice) 2 tsp
    soy sauce 1 tsp
    black pepper 1/2 tsp
    oil 1 tsp
    salt to taste

Procedure:
    Roast the sliced almonds
    Pre-cook the green beans either by steaming or microwaving.
    Add the oil
    Add the poppy seeds
    once poppy seeds turn brown add the chana and green beans
    Add the vinegar, soy sauce, pepper
    Cook on medium low for 10 mins or till beans are cooked.

7. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Sayonara to South Beach

Bidding farewell to the South Beach Diet to check out another diet. I lost around 4 lbs in around 4 weeks (which is not bad at all). In addition, this diet worked for me in the following ways:
    1. I eliminated refined carbs and noticed an energy change. Lesser peaks and valleys in energy levels.
    2. I started including more vegetables and lentils in my daily diet.

Other unintended side effects were:
    1. Started planning my meals well in advance and used to make food for work daily.
    2. Stopped using non-stick cookware and started using non-stick cast irons.
    So I think, this diet was a step in the right direction (a healthier lifestyle).

For a desi vegetarian, I did have the following downsides:
    The diet is quite restricting for vegetarians esepcially from rice-eating cultures. This is because even in phase 2, it is highly restrictive of complex carbs.
    It is lukewarm towards fruits (both the fresh and dried versions) which are rich in anti-oxidants. Not fun for me.
    The primary emphasis is on protein consumption which seems counter intuitive to how Asian cultures have eaten for generations.

I would prefer a diet that is more inclusive of the grains, fruits and veggies. I am checking into the Rice Diet.
    Thanks Neets for creating this thread and introducing me to this diet.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

I was not logging in this site for a long time,hence failed to report back.Happy to hear Beeamma it has helped you.:thumbsup
    it was my first attempt too,i was able to lose 15 pounds[ i expected more] and one of diet which taught me many things.

It was a diet plan which helped me start a healthy lifestyle and control my cravings.Something which surprised me was that when i stopped my diet,i was not even feeling starved or hungry nor did i feel miss my junk food or felt that i was starving to eat any of those,and it cleansed my body in a such a good way that whenever i ate food from restaurants my taste buds were really alarming my senses the sodium and salt taste. Continuous consumption of restaurant food or food that are not(bad carbs) will rule your senses and cravings which will drive your mind to eat more,its scientific!! and yes i could feel that unhealthy taste all the time.yes i felt happy!

other good thing was i found out that chicken in US could actually make you unhealthy.
    Its because of the high amount of hormones that injected in these,so the industrial meat and chiken has high amount of growth hormones and i can make you unhealthy and of course gain weight.if you are one of the chicken lovers,try a week or two without it and check your weight.

i changed my rice to brown rice,the diet helped me make this decision and it worked,my american white rice was contributing to my weight gain a lot.
    i see that i eat nuts a little more.
    i have fruits every other day.
    and of course even thought the diet does not exert excercise routine,it is always healthy to do a 30 min aerobic/moderate cardio/brisk walking 3 times a week.and i try my best to follow,even a 30 min on wii fit plus is good.
    IT IS NOT A 'LOSE FAST' DIET,its a slow one and i can assure you its a 'no starving' one.

Hope everyone has atleast made a small difference with this diet!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010