1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

South Beach diet

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by neets, May 19, 2010.

1. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Is there anyone who had been successful with South Beach diet ?? After following a friend's suggestion i did a search on this diet and soon came across many weight loss weight.i immediately bought a book from eBay for just 3 $.i am done reading it and i am preparing myself for for this diet.The diet is divided into 3 phases,in which first one is the strictest one which lasts 2 weeks.My first impression is 'i can do it' ,well it always has been like this way every time i decide to take a diet or chart down a routine at Fitness Plan.Well i wish i keep up this determination,and it doesn't die out.

The Diet in Steps :

Phase 1:Its the strictest phase,it lasts 2weeks and promise to lose 8-10 pounds.well its the most difficult one.absolutely no foods are:rice,pasta,bread,tea,coffee,no fruits,nothing sweet.
    allows:nuts, decaf drinks,veg except carrots,all kinds of fish and shellfish,low fat milk in tea,fat free yogurt and my favorite EGGS lean meat and chicken.

The best thing i liked about it NO CALORIE COUNTING,NO LIMIT TO AMOUNT,NO STARVING!!!

phase 2 :adding back portion of rice and pasta now and then ,continue this diet until target is reached.
    phase 3:to be followed life long which teaches us healthy eating ,pampering our heart and keeping a check on diabetics and weight gain.Well if at any point we gain extra pounds ,get back to phase one and follow till that extra pounds are shed down.

Well this is what i learnt from diet,right now i am on preparing process,making a list of recipes and grocery list.

Has anyone South Beach Diet ?? any stories to share???

2. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Neets,

I did some research on this diet and wanted to try it to lose weight. The first phase itself is so crazy. The list of prohibited items....rice,pasta,bread,tea,coffee,no fruits,nothing sweet.....seems very depressing to me. I couldnt and cannot stay away from rice or the other mentioned items even for a week...so it didnt work for me.

I dont mean to disappoint you but try to first classify the foods that suit you and include more of that in less proportions and more fruits.Making lifestyle changes will remain with you for good.

I hope others who have lost weight through this method would respond here.

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Actually me and my hubby are on this diet right now. We just finished two weeks of phase 1, and I have moved on to phase 2 but dh is sticking on phase 1 for a little while longer.

I did not have that much weight to lose, so my results were not that spectacular. I lost about 5lbs in two weeks. My hubby on the other hand has lost almost 20 pounds in these 2.5 weeks.

Here are my tips...

-Yes, this diet works if you stick with it and follow the instructions exactly
    -The first 3 days of phase 1 are brutal. Your body goes through carb and sugar withdrawal cravings. You feel weird and aggitated.
    -After those 3 days, you snap out of it. You have more energy, improved mood, and you start to see a little weight loss. You stop craving carbs and sugar like you used to. The diet starts to get easier. But be ware, if you slip up and eat some prohibited carbs, you will once again go through some of those withdrawals the next day.
    -being rice lovers, we chose to break up cauliflower florets, saute them a little, and use them as a rice substitute for our curries. this will give you some sense of normalcy.
    -The night BEFORE day one of phase one, make some easy snack and breakfast items (like egg quiches or something) so when you wake up you don't have to worry about cooking. Trust me, you will be cranky that first morning if you are used to eating carbs.
    -Stock your kitchen with a variety of snacks so you don't get tempted to cheat on your diet.
    -salsa is your friend. it makes every omelette taste sooo much better.
    -keep telling yourself that the hardest part is ONLY 2 WEEKS! that's not that long is it!

I taped a cut out of a victoria secret's swim suit model on my fridge for inspiration. I also posted a list of approved and prohibited foods so me and dh had easy access to what we should or shouldn't be eating right now.

Those are my little tips for the diet. Actually, the hardest part is actually resolving to pick a day and start. Starting is the hardest part. Once you get going it gets easier.

My only warning is, rapid weight loss or a big change in diet can wreak havoc on your bodies system. Although I felt great, my period started early and was very heavy for over a week. I'm on birth control pills and it usually lasts 2 days, very light, on a specific day. I called my doctor and she said any big disruption can trigger weird stuff to happen with your period. I researched online and some women on low carb get lighter periods, some heavier, it's really different for each person. But it's just one possibility I wanted to warn you of that happened to me.

Good luck!

4. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

thanks pman for the reply,i am a rice-oholic too and i realize that its the same reason why i couldnt control my weight till now,i know its hard,i know the culprit is rice so want to free myself,this is the reason i am opting for this.since this comes with a day to day meal plan and many substitute recipe in internet,i felt it could help me :)

5. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

hi asuitablegirl,

wow...congrats !! your post is such a relief !! thanks for the tips.right now i am collecting recipes for each meal and each day for 2 weeks. i was wondering which is less horrible...the v8 or decaf???:coffee.
    thx for salsa and cauliflower tips. :idea.
    you are right...starting off is the most difficult part,my husband has been asking me for 2 days as to when i am going to start and i am still in 'preparation' stage.

thanks for warning about the first 3 days too,that will help me keep me motivated :thumbsup and about the change in periods too ,will keep a check on it.

you know what, my favorite stuff are saved in macy's,victoria secret online shopping bag,i think i will also take a print ,great idea :thumbsup

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. nitav24

nitav24 New IL'ite

[[/B][/B][/B]

hey gurls for all your postings. i'm greatly tempted by this diet n wanna start in 4 days time.
    can anyone guide me to the right link to get me started.

thnx n love

nita

PS. am counting on all your support ! :thumbsup

7. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Hi Nitav,
    Welcome,i am on day 2 on diet and what do i feel ??well i am having heavy headache,but absolutely no hunger and acidity problems. There are lot of online resources ,read and prepare yourself with each days meal and dont and dos.i think this article which give you a fair detailed idea about.
    South Beach Diet - How to do the South Beach Diet

South Beach Diet Phase 1: Getting Started

and there are two blogs which i have been following for this diet.Check this out :
    Live To Eat South Beach Diet

Kalyn's Kitchen .

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. nitav24

nitav24 New IL'ite

hey neets

thnx a tons dear
    i begin mine on may 28...my mom's 2nd death anniversary.that should be a motivating force.
    would love to be in this together with u. u already r a big support even b4 i'v begun.
    thnx for d links will chk em out

love

nita

:thumbsup

9. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  10. nitav24

nitav24 New IL'ite

thanx neets

i begin tmrw or dayaftr.....

need all ur support n suggestions.