1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Tips in house construction (Lessons Learnt/Best Practices)

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by zingy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. kspanjali1

kspanjali1 Senior IL'ite

Hi Frenz,

I thank Zingy and others who have provided these useful tips.... It is very helpful to me since we are starting the construction of our home this week.... And there were so many tips which i had never thought of... I will implement these tips and again thanks a lot....

- Pushpa

2. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Here are few from my experience:
    1)keeping the windows(esp the kitchen windows) on the outer edge of the wall will give you a platform inside that would be useful to keep some tiny yet vital items like scissors,matchbox,lighters etc or can used to adorn ur kitchen with a small indoor plant
    2)line the top of the balcony wall with leftover tiles helps to keep the place clean, as that is a place all lizards love to litter
    3)extending the switchboard a few inches down saves ur wall from dirty fingers or try fixing a fancy tile there.
    4)in case of an apartment, ask the builder to connect your balcony drains by a pipe so that your neighbours below are not disturbed when water-wash your balcony
    5)Pls avoid dry lines outside,no one loves to walk under a dripping line of clothes
    6)In case of apartments you can ask your builder to divide the terrace area proportionately among the owners,so that everyone gets to enjoy the breezy terrace
    7)Again for apartments,you can plan to have individual sumps and motors.The benefits are that the common maintanence is drastically reduced,you pay for only what you consume and there comes a sense of responsibility and children learn to use water economically
    bye for now
    Cheers
    Bindhu

Vaikuntha likes this.
  3. ramapriyah

ramapriyah New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

This is from my experience. If your Living Room-Dining room and common toilet are in a straight line, Plan to fix seperators or partition in the begining itself. It is very hard when a guest comes home while you are at the dining table or in the rest room.

I am looking for partitions (ready-made) . If anybody could help me, it would be great.

Thank You,

Rgds,
    Priya:cheers

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Zingy,
    your tip about extending loft into the bathroom is not good. I have such a bathroom. It gets really hot because of the low ceiling and we all come out sweating out after a bath. too much storage space is also a waste as we tend to collect and keep many things because we have space.

Cool10 likes this.
  5. kalaipriya

kalaipriya Platinum IL'ite

Hi Zingy,
    Its really a nice thread. And i learnt lot from this thread. Thanks to Ladies who has given valuable ideas. Thanks for sharing

6. geetabhaskar

geetabhaskar Senior IL'ite

7. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

8. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Awesome thread Zingy dear...Keep up the good work...Let me think of some tips too...

9. RamyaDwivedi

RamyaDwivedi New IL'ite

Hey Zingy,
    Very useful tips. But alas! I just moved into my new house!! :(
    Thank you nevertheless! :)

10. ambulikutty

ambulikutty New IL'ite

I will be moving into my new apartment in a couple of months. can anyone tell me where to hang clothes in an apartment? My balcony(from both the bedrooms) face the front (there is a busy main road in the front). My dining room doesn't have a balcony. My kitchen's service area(utility area) is inside the kitchen itself. So, please can anyone suggest me where to hang my clothes?. My apartment is on the first floor and below my apartment(ground floor) is the car park. Please reply.