1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Tips in house construction (Lessons Learnt/Best Practices)

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by zingy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Deepu.
    It would be great if you could post some tips from your dream house

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. zingy

7. Best Practice: Having the shoe racks with inwards incline/slant with ½ inch space between interior wall and rack

Shoe racks built on the wall can have inwards incline/slant with half inch space between interior wall and rack

This gives little more storage and shoes don’t tend to fall easily. The space between the wall and rack is needed as dust tends to get collected in the corners and sides

Benefits:
    More storage space

Shoes stay in place
    Easy for cleaning

8. Best Practice: Having the water motor switch control in first floor
    This is especially more convenient for the duplex houses/1+1 independent house/small flats. It is good have motor switch control for overhead tanks installed in first floor also so that it is convenient for first floor people and switching on/off does not become responsibility of just the ground floor people

Benefit:
    Convenience.

3. zingy

9. Best Practice:Tile size

It is best go for small size tiles to medium/big size tiles. The bigger ones does look good but it teds to chip off very easily and it also breaks easily compared to smaller ones .Correct the design/texture/color of the smaller ones could give the same effect as larger ones

We had chosen medium size white tiles (actually paid extra:bonk to builder for that size) and it looked very good but chips off very easily. even though chipped spots are very small it is very visible on white background

Benefits:
    Tile does not break/chip easily

Less slippery

9. Best Practice:Tile texture

Tile texture is very important. Don’t go for all smooth ones. Select tiles with some self design which are not smooth

Elderly people and kids tend to slip very easily sometime
    Benefits:
    Safety as it provides proper grip while walking/running

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Hi Zingy,

will u pls tell me, where they got that ceiling in chennai??? what's its name called??? pls reply me soonn.... bcz v r searching that ready made ceiling for our dream home.....

In my cousins house in chennai they had this ceiling design along the walls . It looked very good. It cost them somewhere around 4000Rs and As it was ready made it was easier to put and didnt take much time for the labourers[/QUOTE]

5. zingy

My cousin got his ceiling done from some shop in Tnagar(chennai). I will talk to my cousin and let you know ASAP.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Ok.Thanks a lot Zingy!!! I am waiting for ur reply.... pls don't forget.... if possible pls post that photos also.....

7. lathalakshman

lathalakshman New IL'ite

hai :)
    as a new member on IL i want to share some of my expereinces for new house/flats. especially in kitchen, the floor under the slab of kitchen should be raised, then we can have doors/shelves. to avoid water going into the sleves/dust accumulating under it. its very difficult to clean.
    :thumbsup
    latha

8. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

A nice topic.

The below details pertain to wall tiles or floor tiles, that you mean, better if you could be more specific. From the narration it looks like floor tiles ('tile texture').

Best Rgds
    Shanti

9. incharge

incharge Bronze IL'ite

Halo Zingy,
    This is a nice thread you have started.We too have constructed our house recently.I have posted the pictures also in IL.
    My tips are-
    1-If you have a solar water geyser,which saves a lot of electricity even then ,one needs to install electric geyser because on rainy and cloudy days the water doesn't get hot enough.Some people install electric heater inside the solar water tank.this uses a lot of powerHence not advisable. .So it is better to have small instant geysers in the bathrooms.and better still to do plumbing in such a way that water from solar water geyser be connected to electric geysers.water flowing through solar is always warmer than direct tap water. This saves lot of electricity.
    2-If you have a duplex house, Have 2 way switches in the stairs.
    3- Nowadays, many wall lampshades have provisions for 2 bulbs.Have an extra switch for the second bulb(CFL) You can do with 1 CFL normally and switch on the other one when you want more light.

1 person likes this.
  10. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Best Practice - Kitchen & Bathrooms

Kitchen and bathrooms should have bright sun light which would keep the bathroom dry and no light required in the day time to save energy. The bathroom should not be dark and should not electrical light in day time. Exhaust fans should be provided in Kitchen and Bath/toilets.

Hand shower should be fixed for toilets. Never have a Indian type basin and it is better to have WC type for toilets. No bidets required. I have visited many houses that are build spending loads of money, but the bathroom facilities are not met to the best.

- Have proper shelfs or vanity room below the wash basin to store toiletries / cleaners etc.
    - A glossy cupboard to store toothpaste/brush/mouth wash related basics.
    - A separate shelf to keep the soap/shower gel/shampoo/conditioner adjacent to bath tub or bathing space for easy access in arm's length.
    - 2 or more hanging rods / hook hangers to hold the new clothese / towels and to hang any additional requirements WHICH I HARDLY FIND AT ANYBODY'S BATHROOM.
    - A small stool to sit or keep the legs to clean the bottom of the feet.
    - Toilet tissue holder with tissues

Kitchen

- Should be spacious and well lit.
    - Two tank sinks with railings to keep the washed dishes.
    - Storage area to keep the cleaning materials
    - Sink Towel, Kitchen towel, Fridge towel and hand towel
    - Kitchen Tissue holder with tissues
    - Kitchen cupboards (these days modified kitchen units available, so no worries)
    - Kitchen gas top height should be based on the height of the lady of the house to enable her easy cooking.

These are the immediate ones I remembered. Will post later........

Best Rgds
    Shanti

Cool10 likes this.