1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

refridgerating

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by vidyasundar, Oct 4, 2007.

1. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

<TABLE><TD class=h4>If you keep the fridge and freezer doors closed as much as possible, food should last in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours and in the freezer for 1 to 2 days depending how full the freezer is. The fuller the freezer is, the longer the food will last.

The freezer should be below 0 degrees. If items are not frozen solid then the temperature is too high.

You can freeze any food except cans of food or whole eggs in the shell. Some foods, however, do not freeze well. High fat dairy products like cream and mayonnaise tend to separate when defrosted and high water content vegetables like lettuce and cucumber will go soggy.

freezing does not destroy bacteria or parasites. It prevents the growth of any microbes, but once the food is thawed these microbes again become active.

There are three safe ways to defrost food: in the fridge, in cold water or in the microwave. It is not safe to defrost food at room temperature. The most ideal way to defrost is by planning ahead and allowing the food to defrost slowly in the fridge. Unfortunately we are not always this organized so there are other alternatives. You can submerge the food into cold water, remembering to change the water every 30 minutes. The only problem with this method is that certain types of food can become watery. The other method is the trusty old microwave. With this method it is best to cook the food directly after defrosting it as the food tends to partially cook in the microwave. It is not safe to keep partially cooked food in the fridge.

It is better to wash produce right before you are going to use it, not before storing it. The moisture from washing it can encourage spoilage.

cut off at least 1 inch on each side of cheese that is with growing mould. With softer cheeses like cottage cheese, Brie and cream cheese, it is safer to throw away the entire cheese as you cannot be certain that you have removed all of the mould.

Left over Food

You should heat leftover until they are steaming hot.

Food should only sit out for 2 hours after cooking before storing in fridge.

Smelling or tasting the food will not necessarily help you to determine if the food is safe to eat. It is best to throw the food away if you guess it is spoiled.

Dry Goods
    It is best to store non-perishable food items in a cool, dark place. Store your food in cabinets that are far from the stove, oven, dishwasher or heater.

A bulging can should be thrown away. Do not try to open it or taste the contents as it may contain the deadly botulism organism.

Spices typically last for about 6 months before they loose their potency. Whole spices last longer and can be kept for about a year.

<TD class=h3>Tips to keep your groceries fresh

<TD class=h4>PRODUCE

Carrots: Should be kept in the fridge in a closed plastic bag, with air perforations or peeled and submerged in water.

Eggplant: Whole eggplants should be kept at room temperature or in a cool dark cupboard. Once you cut into this Italian squash, you should rub any exposed flesh with lemon and stored covered with plastic in the fridge.

Tomatoes: Keep your tomatoes out of the fridge unless they have been sliced. Putting tomatoes in the fridge makes the inside watery and shortens their shelf life.

Leafy greens: All leafy greens have high water content so they wilt easily. Once faded they are hard to revive. To ensure they stay fresh as long as possible, wash and dry them thoroughly using a salad spinner. Rip the leaves into bite-sized pieces and put them in the fridge in a sealed plastic container with a tea towel or some paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Cotton bags, like pillow cases also work excellently.

Broccoli: This hearty cruciferous will keep for up to a couple of weeks if you store it like a bouquet of flowers in the fridge. Cut about an inch off the stem right away & plunk it down in an old margarine container filled with water - only submerging the stem. Change the water every couple of days and if the base of the stem seems a little slimy, just give it a new cut. Broccoli can also be kept in a plastic bag.

Potatoes: Store your potatoes in a cool, dark place (a covered bin on your back porch/balcony is ideal). If you leave them exposed to light, they will turn a greenish colour. This greenish colour is called Selenium and can be mildly toxic, and therefore should not be eaten, especially by children.

Onions:
    These should be kept just below room temperature in a very dry place. Yellow and white onions tend to have a longer storage life than red onions. Never put onions in plastic bags.

Mushrooms: These should be kept in paper bags in the refrigerator. Plastic bags cause them to go mushy.

FRESH ITEMS

Bread:Bread should not be put in the fridge! Bread goes stale faster in the fridge than on the counter. Freezing, however, is an excellent way to keep bread fresh if you cannot finish it in one day. Cut bagels and buns before freezing - then toast to defrost. Make sure the bread is protected from freezer burn by closing the bag tightly.

Dairy Milk: Milk is very sensitive to temperature. Milk will stay fresh for 24 days if kept cold. However, you can reduce its shelf life drastically by leaving it on the counter for just two hours. Always put your milk back in the fridge as soon as you finish with it.

Tofu: Once you have opened a package of tofu, you should store the unused portion in a container of water, with a tight fitting lid. Tofu should be used within three days from when you first open the package. The water should be changed daily.

Eggs: should last anywhere from 4 to 5 weeks in the fridge. If an egg is rotten it will feel lighter and it will float when placed in water. A boiled egg should not sit in the fridge for longer than a week.

2. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai

Very informative yaar.......... mainly for keeping veggie fresh, its a useful tip and i really dont know that if we keep tomatoes in fridge ,shortend their shelv life.

Thank u and keep posting

latamurali

3. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Very useful info vidya...and particularly the info reg leftover food
    TFS
    Ramya

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: refrigerating

Hi,

Just when I was about to start a new thread for "Storage of Food" in refrigerator/freezer , i thought that I should probably check all the previous threads. I wanted to make sure I didnt start a similar one.

...Voila...I see Vidya had already started this...and really useful and information given by her. Sure all IL'ites are much ahead in thinking & sharing innovative ideas/tips.:2thumbsup:

Vidya, thanks for all the tips you have provided.

I wanted to add some more points to this:

Cabbage: It can be wrapped in paper towel and kept in plastic bag or plastic wrap. Since cabbage is full of water, keeping it directly in plastic bags may increase the chances for spoilage.

Capsicum (bell peppers): This can be stored loose in the fridge without plastic bags/wraps.

Green chillies: It is better to remove the stems and store it in a ziploc/plastic bag. Make sure it is not wet.

Herbs: Always store herbs (like coriander leaves , curry leaves, mint , chives, Parsley etc) wrapped well in a paper towel and inside a ziploc/plastic bag. This way the paper towel absorbs the moisture and prevents it from getting spoiled.

Sambar Powder/Rasam powder:

I am sure many Indian ladies can relate to this. Sure we will be bringing lots of Sambar and Rasam Powder from our trip to India! :)
    We can store some of it in airtight containers in our shelves for everyday use.
    Rest we can store it in the freezer in airtight ziploc bags. This way,the freshness and flavor is maintained so well for more than a year!!

Spicy Powders : ( Paruppu podi, curry leaf powder, coconut podi etc)

We can store them in our kitchen cabinets in airtight boxes for everyday use.
    If we use them occassionally, it is better to store them in airtight ziploc bags in the freezer.

Flours: ( Chapathi flour, Rice flour, Besan, Maida etc)

It is best to store this in freezer in ziploc bags irrespective of the weather. This protects them from insects,bugs and also retains the freshness.

Rava & Semiya ( Vermicilli)

Regular Rava stays fresh and free from bugs in the freezer.

Roasted Rava/ Upma Rava can be stored at room temperature in our pantry.

Vermicilli can also be kept in our kitchen cabinet.

IL'ites, please share your storage info too...

I will also try to add more....

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Great information guys...

I would like to add my experience on few things..

as krithika said.. for green chillies removing them stems works like a charm.. but dont put it as such in the ziploc.. cover it with a tissue and then put them inside the ziploc.. the deal is.. if kept as such.. they tend to sweat and thats it.. by placing them covered with tissue, they take off all the water.. same goes to corriander, mint etc..

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hey Nandhu,

Thanks...I omitted the paper towel by mistake.....my bad...but I had added that for other Herbs...:)

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: refrigerating

Hi,

Storing Fruits:

Grapes: These need to washed & dried thoroughly first. Then it can be stored in a plastic ziploc or plastic container...along with a paper towel.

Strawberries/Blueberries/any kind of berries: These need to be stored in plastic containers and washed only before eating. If washed and stored...then they spoil soon.

Mangoes, Bananas, Uncut pineapple, Uncut melons can all be stored outside.

Once you cut these fruits, store them in the refrigerator immediately.

Oranges: These can be stored outside at room temperature.

Plums: Ripe plums can be stored uncovered in the refrigerator and needs to used within 3 - 4 days. If they need to be ripened, then we can store them in paper bags with the top loosely closed. Once they are ripe...they need to be in the fridge.

Will continue...:coffee

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

8. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi all,
    thanks a lot vidya and krithika for the tips...
    very useful,esp as here in the US we are able to make our trip for veggie shopping just once a week or so...
    krithika,even i keep all my xtra stock of podis in the freezer...as u say, the aroma lasts for such a long time...
    i even keep coffee powder in a tight box inside the fridge....the aroma stays fresh for really long...
    :cheers,
    sowpar

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sowparnika,

Glad you liked the tips. You are right about shopping..in India, we could buy veggies every other day...but here..we have to do it once a week and these types of storage & refrigerating really helps us.

And for coffee powder...great idea...some of my friends also do that...but I keep it in kitchen cabinet only..and somehow i feel the aroma is maintained in the filter coffee.

Keep sharing your tips in further posts too!:wave

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

10. swapna1980

swapna1980 Senior IL'ite

hi everyone.

thanks vidya and krithika
    Very useful and helpful tips.

Cheers,
    Swapna.