1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Pooja mandapam by my husband

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by advitha, Jun 3, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Advitha:
    Really...I am impressed with the job your hubby has accomplished. What a lovely addition to your home.

My family has a lot of woodworking so I would strongly suggest you finish the wood in some manner before it gets dirty and then you have to do a lot of sanding in order to finish. I think combos of wood and paint can be really beautiful. I also had an idea: why don't you put cork panels in the back inside vertical surfaces. It will then be easy to hang or tack pics, pin up small items etc and you can arrange without just leaning them. You can get them (I think there are self adhesive ones) at like Lowe's and you trim and attach. In my religious space I put up black velvet like material in the back so that statues would be highlighted...just a thought.

Really looking forward to seeing your additions/improvements.

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi Tina,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'll pass it on to my dear hubby :)

What's this cork panel about though? We have put ply at the back and currently our pictures are framed, but would love to do that addition if its even convenient.

Regarding sanding, yes we were thinking to do it sometime. But still not sure about the color we want to stain with.

Sure will definitely post once we do some more improvements on mandapam.

-Uma

3. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Thank you my dear sujatha for your appreciating words.

Yes indeed we have put a artificial flower garland on top and the sides. I'll actually post a full view of the mandapam sometime soon.

Electric diyas are good ones. I'll explore Michaels some weekend :)

Do keep giving suggestions.

My DH always wanted to do this but somehow it was postponed with no good reason. I guess everything should align well. Now we are relieved. We are planning to do some more designs and additions like Tina also mentioned.

Will see you guys with new updates.

-Uma

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Uma,

Your hubby has done a very good job with the mandapam. We have converted a corner linen closet with three shelves and doors opening individually into swami shelf. On the outside of the cabinet, I have hung lotus electric light string from Target.
    My hubby is also quite a handy man. He has tiled the floor of the cabinets with white 4 by 4 tiles and the center where I keep the lamp with flowered tiles. It is easy to clean the tiles with soap and water even when oil, kumkum or chandan falls without making a mess.
    Do finish with a stain.

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dear Usha,

Tiles...wow that's a good idea. :thumbsup

I muck around with wooden shelf for putting kolams and doing other sorts of puja things.

It helps if hubbys are handy ;-) My friend commented me the same about my DH too.

Lotus lamp..that sounds interesting. Are these the ones that they sell during christmas (like serial bulbs). We always hang the serial bulb around the entire shelf. When I get chance to go to target, I'll definitely check it out.

-Uma

6. tashidelek2002

Uma:
    The cork tiling is handy as you can pin up items with tacks or pushpins. You could hang up items in any arrangement you like.

Here is a listing of assorted types just so you know hwat I am talking about:
    Wall Tiles : Cork Wall Covering : Parquet Tile : Wallcoverings : Amcork.com

You can find simple type in Office Max, etc. Some are adhesive back just trim and adhere.

7. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Thank a lot Tina..... Will see if I can get those this weekend.....

-Uma

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Tina

I have seen the square cork tiles that come in a package. I have used them for pinning light weight items, but I doubt whether they will hold framed pictures which are slightly heavier.

9. tashidelek2002

Sundarusha:
    Yes...you have a point...it depends on the weight. You can get cork strips for hanging stuff but thats probably overkill and also little too office oriented. Uma will have to judge what will work and let us know.

10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I'll try to go to the stores (or rather send my husband) to see what are the available options. I guess he'll be able to decide something if he sees it.

-Uma