1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Free Kitchen!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by nihasvin, May 15, 2012.

1. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Thanks a lot, I will be moving to Medavakkam next month so the purchase for my new home is in full swing...
    So this is added to my list now...

Regards
    Malar

2. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

For lunch boxes and water bottles, i purchased steel ones. There are little expensive and also heavy compared to the plastic ones. However, the first reason i chose steel was that the food odour does not remain after washing. In plastic ones, including tupperware i found that after some time, the odour of food remains in the container long after its washed also, especially food stuff like rasam / pickle.
    For kitchen containers i use only steel ones for storing the grains. Our plates are also steel. I do use plastic in the fridge though for storing stuff like ginger, chilli, greens like coriandar etc.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

all the best malar..

4. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Sorry for late reply-

1. Here is the link for mason jars- Amazon.com: Ball Regular Mouth Jars with Lids and Bands, 16-Ounce Pint Size, 12 Count: Kitchen & Dining

they are available in different sizes- varying from as small as packing pickle for DH's lunch and as big as storing grains (1 gallon).
    They are pretty durable and look very pretty :)..I bought few at sale at ace harware store ($7 for 6 half gallon and $5 for 12 quart size.Can't beat that price). Plastic lids are also available for these jars.

2. Fogo has various options for thermos.Very good for high schoolers as they dont have to warm..check it out.
    I pack my toddlers/DH/mine these glass containers-
    http://www.amazon.com/Glasslock-Sna...id=1346813955&sr=1-5&keywords=glass+snap+lock

If I am travelling I pack DD's lunch in Fogo, not worrying about warming it up.

I've ordered stainless steel water pitcher today.I cant wait to get rid of my Brita. Although this is not 100% free of plastic, I thought it is still better than the others. Here is the link- Reduce Vision Water Filtration Pitcher,Stainless Steel: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Ceramic water container is a very good idea. Thanks Shanvy. I will definitely check it out and see if we have any similar item in USA.

2 people like this.
  5. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Hi moderator, I tried to reply, but it said moderator has to approve before it shows up.It has been a week. I even tired yesterday, same thing. I never had this problem before.

am I missing anything?

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A very interesting and informative thread. I have recently started changing a few things around my kitchen to move towards being plastic free.

1. Stored away all the plastic plates, cups, and spoons.
    2. Washed up a few pickle and jam glass bottles to replace the small plastic jars.
    3. Switched to stainless steel lunch box.

I see that there is a long way to go, but at least i have taken the first few steps :)

I have one doubt. How do you store veggies in the fridge without plastic covers. I usually buy veggies for one week, and keep them in plastic bags. If they are stored without plastic bags, they tend to get dry and limp.

Any suggests... is this discussed earlier in the thread, if so please give me the post # or link... thanks in advance :)

1 person likes this.
  7. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

I went to this shop Desibasic but they dont have the cedramic items now a days...
    Let me try in any other shop and see if I can get hold of it...

Regards
    Malar

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Kavitha,

it certainly was an over sight! My apologies. I have approved the thread and deleted the duplicate thread! Thank you for your patience.

9. sreeraga

sreeraga Silver IL'ite

Interesting & very useful thread.
    I am still in nascent stage as I have started saying NO to plastic bags.
    Way to go - change those plastic containers in my pantry, stop using ziplocks & all that.
    But after going through this am inspired more in this direction.

regards
    AS

10. sanooja

sanooja Bronze IL'ite

Hi, glass & steel containers are really best for our kitchen. our kitchen should be plastic free.