1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Free Kitchen!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by nihasvin, May 15, 2012.

1. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

I am planning for a plastic free kitchen.I always check the resin identification code in the bottom of the conatiners/bottles before buying it. But still i wanted to have 100% plastic free kitchen.
    I have couple of tupperwares and lock and locks and found recently all the tupperwares are not BPA free.
    So the options will be glass jars and stainless steel containers.

Friends , please do share

1. Is ur kitchen plastic free?
    2. How do you manage containers with transferrable job? Its always easy to pick weightless plastic dabbas rather carrying stainless steel containers.
    3.How do you effectively store all the food stuffs?
    4.How many of you use stainless steel water bottles? Brand name please?
    5.How many of you use melamine dish for daily use?

Please do share pointers and pictures of the non plastic containers ans dishes.

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Our kitchen is almost plastic-free. Our lunch containers are made of glass (Living Essentials brand, I think) and storage containers are Anchor brand. But the lids are plastic and silicone respectively, though BPA free.

I do have plastic containers that I had bought from IKEA several years before we began purging out old plastic. I figured that all the off-gassing must be done by now. When it comes time to replace them, I'll find glass/stainless steel containers.

I use a stainless steel water bottle with a plastic lid (I am yet to find one without any plastic). Don't remember any brand name.

Ours is not a transferrable job. Doesn't mean that we'll never move but if we do, and if we get a relocation package, I'll take everything with me. If we don't, I'll distribute them among my friends and buy afresh when we get where we need to get.

I don't use plastic plates. I use stainless steel for everyday use. I also have ceramic plates for other times. Read, when the dishes aren't done.

3 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am also plastic free almost in my kitchen! I store left overs in glass containers with plastic lids from Pyrex and I do have this small steel bowls (in different sizes) with plastic lids just like the pyrex ones - so I use them also for storing left overs. They also look good for serving as well!

For eating everyday, it is corning ware or steel plates, same for drinking water or milk/coffee.

I deliberately threw away all my plastic containers as well and yes, I do use steel water bottles.

So plastic is seen lesser and lesser in our house :)

5 people like this.
  4. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot Confused for ur detailed reply. :) Glad,ur kitchen is almost plastic free.
    With frequent relocating chances for my DH, guess i have to depend on stainless steel containers.

5. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sabitha for ur reply. Great to know that ur kitchen is also plastic free.
    Which container do you use for packing lunch/snacks for kids?
    I have a 3.8 yr DD going to preschool and right now , i give her snacks in Lock&Lock. Any better options?

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

This is what I use for kids' lunch boxes - it is not only not plastic but keeps the food warm as well - if you wish to fill the cap with water keeping the food warmer longer. Of course I buy character ones......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sabitha for the quick reply with pic :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Srama, Foogo - I saw this brand once. Should look for their lunch containers. I think they make sippy cups as well. Not that it interests other posters on here as far as I can tell. Your kids sound older :).

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

They are older certainly - school going confused and these boxes are less expensive and come in more designs and brands at the beginning of the school year! I just picked that brand from google :) so I assume you have a little one....enjoy!

10. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Yes, Srama, I do. She just turned 2.