1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plant nurseries in Chennai!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bindhudani, Mar 9, 2008.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All

I recently found a website called greenplants
    Have ordered a plant called Dracaena Marginata by viewing the pic and getting infor abt the plant from his website...its a air cleaning indoor plant and each sapling costs 28Rs...he said he would do free door delivery and said he would collect the whole amt on the day of delivery
    This is the plant i am goin to deliver... Dracaena Marginata.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Vidyahari

Vidyahari New IL'ite

This one is not a good nursery to buy plants. I lost 3 plants at the same time 2 years back. The soil was full of termites. Though he has a good presentation inside the nursery it does not last when we take it home.

I would recommend taking a visit along ECR and visit many nurseries along the path. The cost difference is up to 2 times along the way.

3. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    very informative... is it available in chennai?? where??? any contact no. or address??

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

5. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Thank u Swaran.. i posted my comment in green plant.in... i want gift plants for our New home ceremony function- Grahapravesam. which one is best plant??? except Dracaena Marginata ..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ooviya,

What i thought while planning to gift saplings was that many people live in flats or rented houses where they would not have the provision to grow plants that would give fruits or even some dont have the provision to grow even the flowering plants...hence instead of gifting them these(which i felt would get wasted due to lack of space),i thought about indoor plants which dont need light and also they would clean the air....that was the reason for me to select these kind of plants...i just wanted some difference hence chose this marginata

One more thing,i immediately dint accept for any indoor plant,i also made a google search of whether this plant would be safe for babies and pets(they may eat these leaves right,hence made a safety check)...and also enquired with this person from greenplants and only when i was compeltely satisfied,i accepted for this plant...Also while gifting the plants,i made a short note of the name of the plant,how to take care,how to water,soil necessities and placed in the same packet of this plant so that it would be easy for people to understand this plant and take necessary care :)

Actually there are few NGOs in chennai,suggested by fellow ILite in the thread (i have provided the link na) who give free saplings but they give saplings of trees...but the problem was they give only tree saplings and hence i had to drop them(reason,same as mentioned above)...if you want to gift trees,you can contact such NGOs

what is your idea??...maybe i can help you with the plant
    but actually this greenplants person could guide you better giving information about the plants that you like...his website too provides the picture of various plants
    pick few,ask him about their features,how to keep etc and then ask for the price...if you have more number to buy,he would provide you a concession....maybe you can use my name for reference,i am not sure whether it would help but give it a try :-D

and i am very happy to know about your idea of gifting saplings for your grahapravesham...:thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot for ur detailed reply.. i want to gift something different and useful one to others.. thats y i choosed indoor plant or else...will u pls tell me Mahesh number or any other gifts...

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear OOviyaa...you can get the number from their website(sorry no sharing of nos as per IL norms)...
    gifting saplings seems to be a neat and wonderful idea...why do you want an alternative?

has he not called you yet???...refer their website for contact address or else mail to his mail id given in contacts

9. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Yesterday i posted... but no one call... there is no address or else... ok i can try... do u know in which place that nursery situated in Chennai??

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Ooviya...actually he doesn't have a nursery where you can go and check the plants....he told me that he gets the plants from some other place(not chennai maybe outskirts)once orders are received and deliver

i found the mail ids which i used to contact::: gmail is greenplants.in
    other one is his official but cant post here :-D