1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plant nurseries in Chennai!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bindhudani, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Revathi

Thanks so much for this helpful tip. Looks like there are many who can use it right?

Thanks. When you find time do share here what plants you are growing.. would love to hear from you.

2. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Anandchitra

All my plants are in pots and since I live in a flat, I have only a balcony for my garden :) I grow parijatham, Jathi malli, orange rose and some hibiscus- yellow, pink and orange double as permanent flowering plants along with Tulsi, karivepillai, and some bulbs like football lily, amaryllis and rain lily. Winter flowers include different colours of chrysanthemum, dahlia and some annuals like pansy, stock and snapdragon. I shall post some pictures when I have more time.

I was totally lost a couple of years back on how to tackle various problems in plants and grow healthy ones and so I joined the Kitchen Garden Association from where I have learnt quite a lot!! It feels good to meet you all in this forum and discuss all about plants which is my passion! Happy Gardening!!

Revathi

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Revathi
    Its wonderful to hear about so many plants you have and how beautiful they must look and give you pleasure to see them as well.
    I am also member of a garden association and we have lot of funin our forums chatting and sharing tips.
    Do post pictures when you find time.
    Happy Gardening:)

4. divya83

divya83 New IL'ite

hi i am absolutely in love wiht the smell and looks of parijatham aka pavazamalli alas i happen to live in a flat. is it absolutely impossible to grow them in pots or is there a different species of them whic could be grown in pots. am i being too greedy :)

5. rave

rave Senior IL'ite

Hi Divya

You are not being greedy at all in wanting to grow Parijatham in a pot. In fact, I have a plant which is about 6 feet, in a 14 inch pot, for the last 3 years. Every year at the time of Navarathri, I get a lot of flowers. My plant is full of buds now, ready to bloom in a week or so. I sowed the seeds collected from my plant and now I have another small plant which I have transplanted into a bigger pot last week. Go ahead and fulfill your desire. I shall post a picture of my plant in a day or two. Happy Gardening!

Revathi

6. avpraveen

avpraveen New IL'ite

Hello,
    I am looking for a indoor bamboo verity called "Bambusa ventricosa 'Kimmei' " (Common Name: Kimmei Buddha Belly) which is in green and soon turn a beautiful golden-yellow with green stripes. It will grow straight and slender, suitable for Indoor.

I tried in few places like articulture society, Chennai but unable to find this species. Can any one of you help me on a nursery in Chennai where I can find this…!!

Thanks & regards
    A.V.Praveen

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

praveen,

did you try the feng shui places. if not, i came across one vijaya nursery in thirumullavoyal who are into these bamboos.

8. avpraveen

avpraveen New IL'ite

Good Morning and thanks for the response.

We've not tried feng shui.

Any ways, I will try the place you were refering and also, we are planning for a search in east cost road. If we are lucky, we will find one, else we'll wait and keep our search on :).

Thanks once again for your response. Wish you have a good moments ahead.

regards
    A.V.Praveen

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  9. avpraveen

avpraveen New IL'ite

Good day to all... finally i've got the bamboo that i was looking for. Its called as Yellow Buddha Belly Bamboo (Bambusa Ventricosa). I found this in Manjari (managed by SPIC) at Koturpuram. It was costing a bit high (1000 rs per pot), but we are happy in getting it for our home. :)

Thanks for the suggestion and I wish you a nice time ahead.

regards
    A.V.Praveen

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All

I m planning to buy some 100 saplings to give as return gift for a family function and hence am looking for some nurseries in Thiruvanmiyur/Adyar.

Please suggest me as which nursery i can approach..these are my requirements

(1) Need 50-100 saplings which can be grown by people who live in flats or rented house..i mean which dont require much sunlight
    (2)Cost max Rs25 per sapling
    (3)I need the plants to get delivered to the hall where the function is about to get held

Also are there any extra cost for delivering the saplings?

Can anyone suggest some gud nurseries who can give quality saplings...anyone has tried buying in those nurseries?

Thanks in Advance