1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

organising house work

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by knowmore, Jan 27, 2008.

1. knowmore

knowmore New IL'ite

House work seems to be endless. I am a stay at home mom in the US.
    I wake up at 6 am, get the kids ready to school and once they are gone somedays I am pretty fast ........finish all the work in an hour.
    Somedays I just dont want to do anything. And then at the end of the day when the house looks chaotic , I panic.
    How does everyone organise their daily chores? Suggest some tips.

2. shakila banu

shakila banu Bronze IL'ite

Dear knowmore

When our house is kept clean and everything in our house from tiny hairclips to big baskets has a definite place then ultimately half of our tensions are wiped off. Be systamatic i feel there is also no harm in putting a time table and work accordingly. Definite place for each and every object i have started a thread called House keeping feel free to post your comments there. Bye.

3. knowmore

knowmore New IL'ite

I like the idea of keeping things in their proper place after use. But I have kids 9 and 5 and sometimes its hard to get it done. I try telling them but as you might be knowinig with kids that age its not worth it. So, I rather do it though I make sure that they learn to do. Any way how does everyone get along with their daily chores like dusting,cleaning pots and pans,cooking etc etc list is endless? Please share your ideas. Thanks to this wonderful site and all the ilites.

4. sunikrishnan4u

sunikrishnan4u New IL'ite

I am also at home now, also studying.This is what I do,

I make 3 meals most of the days. I plan ahead for a week. Buy veggies accordingly twice a week only.

Cook everything in the morning itself. I use all the 4 burners in my cooking range :), before breakfast my lunch, dinner including breakfast wud be ready. Usually its some typical Kerala breakfast, lunch including one dry sabzi, one gravy. Dinner roti and one sabzi.

Also when I was working I used to make pastes of every gravies I used to make like for sambar, and other coconut pastes that a typical Kerala dish call for, and freeze it as single use sizes in small glass bottles or in ice trays, enough for a week, or two. This will reduce the cooking time a lot. I never used to cut veggies and keep becos their nutritional value will decrease. But I used to make everything in the morning Bf, lunch, dinner and will take only 1 - 1.30 hrs from start to finish.

This will help u to be free after all the work from 7.30 - 9 in the morning. I used to hate doing dishes, this way u can reuse some dishes and even if not, most of your dishes for the day will be done in the morning itself.U can carry ahead with whatever you like to do during the day, playing with kids, any hobbies, gym etc.

Hope this helps,
    Sunikrishnan

5. aachus

aachus Junior IL'ite

hi suni
    i'm also a malayalee staying with 2 kids @bangalore.pls help me to decrease mu household chaoes as i;m working from home.how to store coconut?can i cut veg @night for the next day as morning is very busy for me.can i make coconut paste\chutney n store?i read somewhere-store grinded coconut on freeser n transfer to fridge @ night if u r going to use it in the morning.can i cut savala n frreeze?wt about chappathies\puries?pls help.bye tc.:bonk

6. resma

resma New IL'ite

hi suni,

betternot to keep the coconut paste in the fridge. it gets spoiled very fast. but you can keep the scraped coconut in a container with a good lid. in the night you can keep the coconut along with all things to make the paste in the freezer. morning just take out it first thing in the morning.

i have a routine like this.

1. boil a vessel of water.
    2. wash rice and keep it the rice cooker.
    3. get the chapati dough ready ( alternate days)
    4. cut the veg for the sabgi.
    5. start for the veg sabgi.
    6. make idli
    7. make tea/badam milk etc
    8. sambar for idli if i am not making chapati.. else chuney.
    9. make chapati for two days.
    10 . wake up kids and husband
    11. husband will take care of kids routines ..
    11a. me get the lunch boxes ready.. 4 boxes to be precise.
    12. get the kids ready.
    13. husband will rush them to bus stop.. i will go to take bath..
    14. come out of bath and put on ironed dress.. have tea.. from the time i made tea.. i am having it.. in fact i am like an engine which runs on tea
    15. once i am done with my work... i will have idli platter, tea pot, sabgi kadai in the sink. rest of the things i manage to wash on the way.. i will clean the kitchen board also.. but those three things will be there in the sink for me to attack when i come back..

i have to get up 15minutes earlier to keep those things out of sink...so that i have the tea pot when i came back from office.. its yet to happen .. i am trying hard for last 6 years .. he he he..

7. resma

resma New IL'ite

u can make chapati and keep it in a bit steel lunch box.. so that chapati will sit without any folds.

keep the onion saluted.

i keep a ginger garlic paste also in the fridge.. so that i can add it to the sabji. i make ginger garlic paster on saturdays.. by friday it will be over.

8. GoplaniNupur

GoplaniNupur New IL'ite

hi knowmore
    i am also a full time housewife with 2 kids aged 5 and 7. i feel like you and i dont like to do anything at all. b'couse my maid did the laundry and dishwashig then i just had to do make meal and home cleaning. so that thing make me so lazy. Then i think it will become my habit to being lazy so i take some steps before diwali

* I said to maid "no" i do my work myself to remove lazyness.
    * Imake a list of household chores
    * I do work and tick the chore from the list
    and at the end of the day i give me marks and get the target for the next day . Like i have works 55 to do (every small things included in the list) and at the first day i do 40 so i get 80 marks and rewarded me for that and dicide to do 45 works next day.

Thus i win my lazyness and have fun for doing my work myself

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  9. YukiL33

YukiL33 New IL'ite

establish a list of daily tasks,
    establish a list of weekly tasks,
    establish a list of tasks that can be done every 2, 3, or 4 Saturdays/Sundays.

and i also agree with shakila banu, making a time table will really help you a lot..