1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

New to Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sss, Feb 22, 2008.

1. sss

sss New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

We stay in Bay area, California.

I am planning to put some Amarnath, Sorrel seeds in planting bucket .When is the best time?

How to take care of them. I am new to gardening..any help is appreciated..

Thanks,
    Neeta,

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Re: When is the best time for greenleafs

Now is a good time, in spring. If the temperature is warm during day you can leave them outside and bring indoors at night if temp goes below 50 or so.

3. Anandchitra

Dear Friends
    Let us use this thread to discuss getting started in gardening in general. Any questions from newbies are most welcome. Everyone is welcome to pitch in and answer queries.

4. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    Iam also new to gardening...i plan to begin with tulasi...i got seeds from india...last week i went to walmart & got the potting soil..since iam staying in an apartment iam planning for a balcony garden...can u throw some light on what to do next like best time for sowing,replanting,manuring etc...one more query when i went to walmart i saw lot of vegetable seeds .are they good?:helpsorry for asing too many questions

5. Anandchitra

Hello Ammukutty
    Do not hesitate to ask. I can share what little i know. not a problem.
    I dont know what state you are living in,in order to know the zone. I am in zone 8 as i live in GA.
    Planting seeds outdoors should be done after last frost is over in your zone. Indoors they can be started earlier
    I usually get ready before spring that is March for me. This year for veggie i am planting okra and karela and gourd. I buy okra seeds and flower seeds from Parkseed online as their quality is ver y good.
    Balcony garden is very good idea.good luck

6. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    oops i forgot to mention iam in north carolina...so can i sow the seeds now or should wait for sometime...since i am planning to keep the pot in the balcony iam confused whether it will germinate because of the climate...

7. Anandchitra

You have to baby the seeds at this time of year. Good news is that you are going to grow in pots. Can you bring the pots indoors or can you grow them in small containers and then plant them in pots outside once they are grown? Hope this helps.

8. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    i will first keep them inside and when they can stand on their own Bowwill keep outside...thanks chitra

9. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear AC,
    I am new to gardening and I am inspired by your posts. I am thinking of starting with tulsi plant. I just saw your reply to ammkutty,
    "Can you bring the pots indoors or can you grow them in small containers and then plant them in pots outside once they are grown? "

Does this mean that first i should have the seeds in a small container or the pot and keep in inside my apt. and once they grew up, i should keep the plant outside..
    Sorry to be so silly.. (The seeds needs sunlight to grow right???). please guide me.

Thanks
    Priya

10. sheshin

sheshin Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Last week i sowed tomato seeds and marjoram seeds in pots but they didn't germinate till now:thumbsdown.I think i did some mistake in sowing.I used Miracle Grow seed soil.Please throw some light how to sow seeds.Should i just spread the seeds on top of the soil? How to water it?Sorry for too many questions.I have some small plants like button rose and jasmine which are healthy in my hands but every time i am failing with seeds.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008