1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My vegetable garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tulasi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Sundaribhaskar,
    Thank you for taking the time to give us the feed back.
    Tulasi

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Blondie
    Great explanation of how to take care of plants. very nice.

Sindhuja
    If youre asking for curry leaf seeds I have heard its better started with small plant. almost all u.s based indian shops carry this plant and all farmers markets have these plants too. depending on where u live pl. check out these stores.

regards
    chitra:-D

3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Chitra,
    Thank you. I will try if I can get it in farmer's market. Will also check the local indian stores.
    regards,

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

This thread is looking greener, prettier and fresher every time I visit it, thanks to Tulasi, Blondie and the rest of you.
    Blondie, I saw the pics of your deck plants just now. They do look very happy and healthy.
    Tulasi, your flowers and veggies are too good. I loved the mallepoolu and kankambaram dhanda :) First time this year, I too have a banana plant, karivepaku, kanakambaram and ofcourse Tulasi, all thriving. Transferring these plants in and out doors is the tricky part. They took sometime to look good when I put them outdoors this year. Oh, I also have a hibiscus-mandaram-which has been with me for three years now.
    Sindhuja, I have never seen any curry patha plant at my local indian grocers. Excepting the hibiscus, all the other plants were given to me by my friends as small saplings last year. Now they have gone quite big outside, this summer. I am worried about finding good places for them indoors. It is going to be a challange as I don't have a sun room.
    Wish me luck:)

L, Kamla

5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Kamala,
    I have also never heard any of my friends getting from our local market or indian grocery store. I am going to try my luck.

I wish you all the best, too.
    regards,

6. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sindhuja and Kamala,

If I am still seen/active in this site during fall season this year, remind me and I will mail you both the Karivepaaku roots(if you still need them). This is not much of trouble to me if I cordinate the activity during my fall repotting. I do cut back the roots and throw them away when none of my local buddies need them.

As a side note: One time a lady who organises fundraisers for the Shiva Vishnu temple gave me a bunch of pots in which i placed these roots with some soil. They all survived very nicely and they were sold like hotcakes in the temple. I am vain enough to say that close to 200$ were raised from their sale:-D .

This reminds me you might want to check out the local temples if you have not already done so...

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Blondie,

That is awfully sweet of you to suggest sending the roots. Thank you soooo much. As of now, my one karivepaku plant is thriving and also have friends who have the plant. I will take up on your offer if I am pushed :)
    True, I too have seen that Bridgewater temple always sells Tulasi plants. Have not bought them any time though, as I got that too from my friends. Good thing you got to do some seva through your green fingers!
    All the best with your gardening and thanks...

L, Kamla

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Blondie,
    I appreciate that. Thank you.
    In the meantime, I will also check If the temple in my area sells Karevepakku roots.

Regards,

9. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Tulasi and Blondie

It is nice to see your garden. Great work:2thumbsup: . My mom used to plant all those she can plant in the space in front of our house when I was 12. It was really fun to see those veg developing stage by stage. Now your pictures reminds me of my childhood and wow those days are wonderful. Thanks guys for sharing those wonderful greenery with us.

Cheers
    Lakshmi

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Tulasi
    I have lost your emailid so i'm posting my question here. i have been wanting to ask this for a long time now ever since i saw the photos, even before this thread started, but keep forgetting.
    Did u use any pesticides? how is the yield so far?
    I guess i can ask Blondie too if she uses pesticides.
    regards
    anandchitra:)