1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My vegetable garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tulasi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Blondie,

Nice garden also u have like Tulasi. Karevepakku and crepe myrtle look really good and others too ofcourse.

Madhu

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Gayathri,
    I take care of my indoor plants just like I took care of my babies:-D
    the babies need a diaper change several times a day where as plants need only 2 times a year one in growing season another in dormant season. This will take care of the bugs 50%.
    babies need liquid/solid nourishment several times a day and plants need it once per week/day.

Just like how a growing baby needs a haircut, the indoor plants also need to have their aged wilting leaves removed, snip the dead flowers, anything that has brown spots need to be snipped off. This takes care of the other 50% cuases for bugs.

All I do is water my very thirsty indoor plants before I drink my first cup of water for the day (just like how we feed our kids before even thinking of eating for ourselves). In this way my indoor plants nevr died while in my care. When i got tired of them I find them new homes (my friend's).They make a wonderful unconventional housewarming gifts for a discerning hostess. ex. one time I bought a very good looking terracotta planter and planted the curryleaf sapling from my main plant and gave it as a housewarming gift to my north indian friend who loves my sambar. I included the sambar recipe tied to the plant stake, in which I specified where exactly in the process of making sambar you need to add the curry leaves. I also included a tip sheet for the care of the plant.

thank you all for your fb's. Please post the pictures of your indoor/outdoor plants along with tips. That will definitely make the thread lively and may be motivate / convert people to gardening??

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Blondie,
    That was a fabulous explanation! On how to take care of the plants. I also do the similar things but I can't express like you:-(

Tulasi

4. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  5. sundaribhaskar

sundaribhaskar Bronze IL'ite

Hi thulasi i just saw your garden photos posted and was just thinking it will be more wonderful to admire the plants in your backyard than looking at the photos.

Blondie your explanation of taking care of plants is wonderful. I have planted a nithyamalli and waiting for it eagerly to bloom in full swing.

:-D
    Sundari Bhaskar

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Blondie,
    You have a nice garden. Your description about taking care of plants are very useful. I have roses (3 diff. colors and one multi-), jasmine (two types) and pudhina. I am looking for karevepakku plant or seeds. Can you tell me where can I buy karevepakku seeds? Thanks!

7. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

I have no idea as per where you can get karivepaaku seeds in the US Sindhuja.

Last year I observed some seed formation in my plant but i didn't see if they were viable.

Usually I take the root graftings. Even my main plant is from a root not from seed. One of my close friend's mother long time back brought the roots from her farm in india. She gave the bare roots to me.

All my root grafted plants which i gave to my friends survived very nicely to date. (keeping my fingers crossed)

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the information, Blondie. I wish you live closeby, so that i could get one from you. My friend's friend has karevepakku chettu. I asked her indirectly if i could get a small one but all in vain. From then I stopped asking others. Anyways, thank you.
    regards

9. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hey Sindhuja,
    You should be able to get in your local Indian stores. If not you can request the store person to get one for you they usually do it. As for as the seeds there are many seed companies online you can check it out Its Botanical name is "Murraya koenigii"

Tulasi

10. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thank you, Tulasi. Appreciate that. I will try to buy online.

regards