1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Milk+Health drinks causing weight gain?Pls suggest

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by generic, Oct 31, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

My family uses Nandini milk as this is supplied by local vendors to our locality. It contains 3% fat.
    I notice that after boiling the milk, so much cream settles on the surface..
    I used to consume coffee/tea earlier, about 2 cups a day..But due to health concerns and other reasons, I've stopped drinking coffee and tea.
    I have been consuming health drinks like bournvita, horlicks, complan, boost, milo etc from several months..Because I hate the taste of plain milk and I need to have 2 cups of milk per day.
    I cannot take soya milk as it aggravates thyroid problem.

These health drinks contain so much sugar, that I feel they are causing weight gain and suppressing weight loss..:thumbsdown I have 2 queries:

1. Am I right in saying that consuming health drinks regularly cause weight gain?that is if we are following balanced diet otherwise..
    2..Milk contains 3% fat as displayed on the packet..Is there any way to reduce the fat content of that milk at home? Is it helpful if I remove the cream settling on top of the milk, or is there any other method also?
    Purchasing low fat/skim milk is the last option for me.
    3. Please suggest alternatives for having milk..Oats is ok to have once a day but it's so tasteless without added sugar I find it difficult to have everyday..
    I tried ragi malts available in stores and homemade ragi malts also..But need some variety.
    Please suggest interesting ways for me to consume 2 glasses milk per day without caffeine and without putting on weight!

2. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Hi generic,

Drinking nandini milk (assuming it is toned milk) is ok but when you mix it with health drink powders like complan bournivta etc then it'll definitely lead to weight gain because they contain lot of sugars and calories.

One thing to reduce fat content is by boiling milk and let it cool down without disturbing it. Then take a spoon and remove the upper creamy layer without disturbing milk too much else the fat will get mixed up with milk again.

Coming to your point, its not bad to drink coffee or tea daily if you take it in moderation. Infact tea has lots of antioxidants and caffiene too has its benefits.
    I drink tea daily but without adding sugar. Initially it was difficult and hated the bland tasteless tea but now got habituated.
    Coffe i cannot do without adding sugar so I limit drinking coffee to once a week.

If you want to drink milk with health drink mixes then avoid complqn as it has highest amount of fats due to presence of milk solids and other fats.

What you can do is take the powder say boost or horlicks or bournvita, add lil hot water (1/4th cup) and mix well you can then add milk mix well and drink.

But i suggest drink one time a day milk with health drink mixes and one time drink tea or coffee whatever you prefer without sugar. If not atleast reduce the amount of sugar.

3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Thanks @pinky2cute.
    Actually I have stopped drinking coffee and tea as I have acidity problem..Caffeinated drinks especially Coffee really aggravates my acidity and causes gastric pain..I get some relief if I avoid these..Tea is ok,but I m able to tolerate it only occasionally, not on a regular basis...That's why I am looking for other alternatives.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Calculate the calories in each cup of milk+drink mix that you are taking. Then adjust your other food for the day so that you are in line with with calorie goals. You can have everything, but it is a balancing act.

2 people like this.