1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave oven

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Madrasmami, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Madrasmami

Madrasmami New IL'ite

Hello everybody,

I want to purchase a microwave oven. When I went shopping for it, there were plenty of models and brands. I was little confused.
    So, friends help me out to get an ideal microwave oven. There was a plain microwave oven and one with grill and another with convection mode of cooking. What is the difference between them? :?:
    I want to use the oven for making pizzas, baking cakes and cooking choclates. Any suggestions ?
    bye.

2. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Microwave

Dear Madras mami,

If u want to bake cakes and pizzas, then u will have to buy a microwave with convection. This oven acts a regular oven and also a microwave. If u buy just a microwave oven, then u cannot bake pizzas, make cookies or cakes. I personally feel buying a microwave with convection is a good investment..though its more expensive than just a microwave.

Hope i was of some help

cheers

Prathi

3. sonu

sonu New IL'ite

3 important features in a microwave

Cooking wattage - Oven are made with wattages from 350 and up. But the standard is 700 watts. All microwave recipes in cookbooks and magazines are based on 700 watts.

Control panel - Choose a microwave with touch panel control. It is comfortable to use and easier to read, than a dial type panel!

Power levels - Go for a microwave with atleast 3 power levels. 100% power level is required to cook, 30% power level is required to defrost certains foods before cooking and 50% power level is required to simmer foods.

4. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Since you need your microwave oven to bake food items you better go for the oven with convection.There are lot of good brands available like IFB,Whirlpool,Samsung etc etc.In chennai,Vivek`s shop is very good.

5. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ma'am

I have an LG convention mw. I've tried pizzas, tikkas and kebabs. I do bit of my cooking on it too. I also tried jams and pickles. Its got lot of options, its a touch panel too.
    I want to try cake sometime. I've got the recipie, but no time :spin

I would suggest you to also take into consideration the space available on your kitchen shelf. Because we faced this problem. At first we had told our carpenter to make a cabinet for default mw size. When we bought our LG, we found the cabinet to be small. There are so many sizes of mw in the shop and so much variety, its easy to be confused.

Hope this helps.