1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave cooking

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by deepasrithar, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

2. smilylittle

smilylittle New IL'ite

hi sylvia

i came to know about making cakes in microwave only after reading ur links.i will surely try these cake recipes in microwave and let u know how it has worked out for me.thank you for sharing these links.

bye

3. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,
    what are the utensils we should avoid in MW??? because my sister used a glass plate,suddenly a spark came,so just want to know other than stainless steel,what are the things used in oven????

4. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey vivbass,

You cant just use any utensil in microwave.. there are specific microwave safe cooking utensils available in stores.. they arent too expensive.. you need to buy them. also, its safer to use glass utensils or ceramic ones than plastic ones as I have heard that plastic ones transfer plastic into the food and it might not be good for us.. I am not sure how far its true but better to be safe.

Happy cooking!
    Sylvia

5. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear Slyvia,
    thanx for the reply,i knew dear we can't use any utensils for MW,but my sis' used glass plate only but it burst....thatz why this question:confused2:

6. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey Viji,

Even in glass utensils, you need to pick the ones which says "Microwave Safe". Not all glass items are safe in Microwave..

Cheers!
    Sylvia

7. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vivbass,

You can use Tupperware products. They have particularly some products for oven use. It is oven proof am using it. No problem with that. The glass may burst as you say so you can try with Tupperware. Ofcourse it is little bit costly but safe.

8. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

thank you vidhu...i just asked on behalf of my sister,surely i'll pass this on to her...:)

9. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

My wife uses microwave for almost all cooking. All vegetables, greens, all dals, rice. Pongal comes out vey well.
    She uses a Microwave pressure cooker for all this. This is made from food grade polymers and fully certified.

Prestige has launched this in Bangalore. I understand that the product will shortly be on the air on HS18 shortly. (Since I stopped watching TV completely years back this does not mean anything to me).

There is a whole lot of misinformation about plastics in cooking. You will be surprised to know the number of plastics used in medicine not only for routine hospital use but as implants put inside the body.
    Did you know that the microwave oven is specifically designed to heat only water? The water molecule is analogous to a miniature bar magnet. It has a natural frequency of vibration. In use the microwave oven delivers this frequency of power inside the chamber. This makes each water molecule oscillate at the same matching frequency. Since the molecules are in contact with each other they jostle each other, much like what happens in a crowd. The friction between the molecules causes rapid heating.

If there was no water in what you put inside a micro ntothing would happen. Even the dry pappad that you fry in the microwave has 8 to 10% moisture which is what makes it fry.
    It is perfectly safe to boil water in a microwave.

Arunadhri

Last edited: May 10, 2010