1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage- The Good, The Bad, (and Nothing Ugly)!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by nuss, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Congrats on completing eleven years of togetherness..
    The demands of looking after babies or small kids in a foreign country with demanding careers and no reliable childcare does take a toll on the marriage...but things seem to get better as grow up and be more independent...
    Many of my friend and relatives are in the US and have gone through this trying and testing phase as exhausted, busy and sleep deprived new parents of newborns then toddlers ( oh the terrible twos!) then kids...eagerly waiting for the day the kid or kids would be old enough to go to middle school then high school...:)

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A great snippet Madam!A glimpse of whatever we were advised by our parents
    before marriage was telecast again.A guide to all brides/grooms.It is a marriage mantra!

jayasala 42

nuss likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Really nice thread Nuss.

What intrigued me is when you said you like to plan and learn about investments etc..

Can you start a thread on stocks,investments and money savings..I have to admit I don’t have much clue about it.It will be beneficial to learn something about finance..need to start somewhere

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@nuss,

I wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous life together. What a delightful write up this is! Understanding each other comes in stages and even after 37 years of married life, I learn something new about my wife even today. There is no magic wand to swing around the spouse (just like the security staff in the airport do) to extract all the attitude, behavior and character ("ABC"). I am glad you both are spending a lot of time with the kids as these days would fly so quickly and before you know it, they will all be out of the nest. Once we cross the 10-year threshold in married life, both spouses become somewhat dependent on each other emotionally.

I have written a snippet about how the spouses need not have similar tendencies in order to have a wonderful life together and I am sharing it here.

Parallel but compatible

nuss and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Wishing you many more decades of a content married life @nuss .
    An inspiring snippet illustrating how marriage is continuous work on our part.

You pointed out another truth in marriage - it is easy to change ourselves to align with our spouse's nature than expecting and forcing our spouse to change to ours. When we make adjustments our spouse also will make adjustments.

Your snippet will be a helpful guide to many young couples.
    Best wishes.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    nuss likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you! I don’t know if I am ready for the middle school yet .

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you ma'am, @jayasala42. Marriage is a work in progress.

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Ma'am! Marriage definitely is work in progress!

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much! I just read your snippet. What wise words!

"Life is pretty much like a bundle with roles and responsibilities distributed among all individual components of the family. In a good family, the thoughts of husband and wife need not be identical. As a matter of fact, they can be parallel to each other but should have same objective. Their intention to be together and affinity for each other should be pretty good to run together for a long haul. Their thoughts should work like the curves in the metal wheels and when one side moves too far away from the track, the other curve should prevent it from moving further and vice versa. They need to build financial and other securities together like fish plates underneath for the safety and security of the rail track. The life should be built on a strong foundation of unconditional love just like crushed stones (Ballast) providing the cushion effect for the wagons."

You are so right- we don't have to be identical as long as our objectives/vision is identical. Thank you so much for directing me towards the snippet!

srividya19 and Viswamitra like this.
  10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Dear @kkrish thank you for the kind words! You are so right- we can only change ourselves, not our partner. And many times, it is easy to believe that the other person is wrong without introspection.

"When we make adjustments our spouse also will make adjustments."

This is what I believe. Positive change has a ripple effect. If we change our attitude and be happy, the people around us also change.

kkrish likes this.