1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

manure for ur plant

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sathiapriya, Nov 21, 2007.

1. sathiapriya

sathiapriya New IL'ite

:partyhi Iam sathiapriya,

one day i went to a nursery they gave me an idea, the daily vegetables waste what

we are cutting (waste) and throwing out , can be used as a manure for the plant,

Plants grown in pots or in ground, dig the soil little and put the waste vegetable and

close the mud (pot/ground) .suppose if u have 5 pots, daily take care of one pot and

repeat the cycle, the plants will grow well and give nice flowers.

try this.

bye.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sathyapriya,
    Thanks for the tip.
    This is what my aunts do in their apartment and they say it is good and serve as a manure for the plant!

sriniketan

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sathiapriya
    This is a nice and useful tip. Since I cut vegetables mostly in one sitting I can probably make use of the trimmings. Thanks for sharing.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

since i live in a flat. I have started making manure this way..and have successfully used it in my new set of plants...will post pictures later....

I have taken a bucket with lid. in that i put in some soil with earthworms...and on top have been adding all the veggie discards, the leafs from my plants, the orange peels, and other fruits peels...and just use a stick and mix it once a week...keep it closed...though the smell is too shakeheadshakehead.the manure was ready....

so i have put the bucket with soil again for new manure...:queen

5. Anandchitra

Dear Shanthi
    Here they call it compost. This is the way to make compost. the soil is so enriched and you get the best out this way
    here they recommend to keep this quite far from the house mainly because of smell.
    The only reason I am not doing this is also smell
    Here they sell all these fancy containers to make compost but the smell in inevitable.
    Thanks for sharing.waiting to see your picture of garden.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi AC,

This is now given a trendy name organic farming...and then smell is definitely awful...but it is really very good for the plants....

7. Anandchitra

Dear Shanthi
    I know of the smell..but I agree with you that its worth it.. I love the look and feel of soil that we get from the compost heap..

Speaking of which, what you are doing to the soil is called compost. Organic farming ( as far as i know, which is not much and I could very well be mistaken)
    excludes the use of fertilizers and pesticides and growth regulators,modified organisms..
    So these farmers rely more on crop rotation, compost etc..
    My bil is big on this thats how i picked up some..But he has an enormous backyard so he can have his own compost pile.. I'm still thinking about it since i do a lot of gardening and could use this soil..
    Lets keep this open to share ideas..

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey AC

thanks for clarifying...but the earthworms do make the job very fast...

9. Anandchitra

Yes the earthworms make it easier and faster

I am lucky to have them in my soil
    Whenever I dig to plant I see so many so thats why I get such good roses and other veggies
    people keep on asking me what I do, actually i only water them that too irrreuglar
    but I know the soil is good so its working for me

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I used to never discard the peels of veggies and fruits, instead i would mix them with the soil. But I found that it is leading to ants and other insects. So now the manure is dung from the buffalo stable nearby... I do not much plants in my home, but the building has some good plants.

Shanthi,

Your tip is good for plants but will definitely burn the hair of my nostrils... I cant tolerate bad odour. So i may have to forgo that tip. :hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff for doing such an excellent job, stirring and closing and keeping and smelling. It all shows your love for your plants...