1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda Finest Post Winner

Fantastic Shanvy. I have also been looking for idli plates with holes which are deep. The ones available here have no holes and are not so deep, so the idlis are also small. Could you tell me if it is available in Chennai on line somewhere?

Shanvy likes this.
  2. satchitananda

shall do next time.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda i use the prestige ones
    Without holes. You get them in different shapes now in some shops to lure thr fussy kid i suppose.

Heart shaped, triangle and the traditional round. I also have some not too small not too big mini idli plates that are a tad deep than the regular mini idli plates and yes i like the hawkins idli plates more.

But honestly speaking nothing absolutely nothing can compare to the ones made on soft cloth layered plates.
    IMG_1712.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    The hawkins one

IMG_1708.JPG
    The mini that i like.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    maggi32, shodin and satchitananda like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Wheat gluten makes it a little tough. But since i can't try because of my shoulders can u give the method insuggest a try and share if possible. This is a guess idea after reading your wheat idiyappam. I will chk out the ingredients on the pack when i get my hands on..

Take a cup of whole wheat flour in a soft cloth. Tie and steam in your cooker for 5 minutes and cool. Sieve for lumps.
    Make a dough for idiyappam just like other flours. Be careful on the water. And make them and tell me. Logic if we can make murukku out of them
    Idiyappam shpuld be possible.

5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Was reading all the posts ever since the thread is active again. Did not miss a single post too. I gave some likes here and there and Shanvy mam was quick to figure it out ... :)

If u see my signature, u can notice that I have been able to loose weight and is right now in a happy phase. I will surely post my story here, when i find some good time. Right now I feel like eating a lot dont why...

Off light i am craving for chocolates in the noon time. Cant believe, for a person like me who never liked sweets suddenly carving for chocolates.... But then i did not want to disappoint myself. Wanna like to confess tat, after a very long time ( may be after 10 years or so) yesterday I brought hazelnut kitkat for me.... without my dd seeing it i quietly hid them in my bag so that i can eat it today noon :facepalm:

6. satchitananda

Thanks Shanvy. Let me check out Hawkins here. I have a 12 idli mini plate (Prestige) too. Yes, I remember Amma making idlis in a kadhai with a plate with holes and soft cloth. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    shodin likes this.
  7. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

It was a nice idea mam...actually i want to make each and every flour at home itself...like what you said for multi grain wheat flour for roti and other millets flour for dosa and adai, will do it soon. But at present due to tight time with kid i cannot think of making myself except plain wheat flour, rasam/sambar/idli powder etc which i make at home only. Will definitely try ur method soon...I just add sufficient water with the mix, press the dough with muruku acchu and steamed it in plates for 10 mins.
    Krishna Bhavan Foods & Sweets
    link is just for products they have, not for any promo ;)

8. satchitananda

I was told mil was very appreciative of the brown rice idlis and asked DH what was in it that the colour was different. She thought there was lot of mendiyam. Was thinking of this today and realized that that idli was a lot tastier than white rice idlis. Was just eating 3 pieces of airfried veg fingers. The veg inside was very spicy, even so I did not really enjoy the taste of the covering. Am glad I am losing my taste for refined/polished stuff.

9. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vani...happy to see u losing ur weight greatly....pls share ur success story for motivation...

10. satchitananda

Ragi mudde.jpg
    Ragi mudde at last!!! All the stuff I have eaten since morning. Forgot to include the chutney in the picture. :)

damini, maggi32, parineetha and 3 others like this.