1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Made Chocolate Cake today. Yes, you all guessed it right - the Sathumaavu is the man flour. This is a adoptation of Shanvy's Sathumaavu cake and her Banana- Chocochip cake. Nobody at home can either find out the sathumaavu or the banana. Used sugar though. the texture was pretty much the same of any cake made with vegetable oil. A very tasty way to make my son have 'kunji'.

Attached Files:

7 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@maheseran what do i say about your leaps and bounds on the balanced diet wagon.. i am sure your plates are inspiring many others.. keep the good work going

@damini i am so happy seeing that cake. maybe we should add a little bit of flaxmeal to make it more soft..instead of the eggs..but whatever the kids can't find out and they enjoy. the net result is what matters..

1 person likes this.
  3. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Thanks shanvy mam, its all from IL only... first of all it is you, sravani, manju,mathi, melon etc...now finally in this list mahe has also entered her name(i hope so)gigglingsmiley

thanks for the recipes also..

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sweet potatoes were the staple food of many slave immigrants long long ago. they missed the yam from africa. though i wonder how could they because both are entirely different tastes. though both were beneficial in their own ways.

Did you know a medium size sweet potato has around 180 calories and is full of all the important vitamins. vitamin b6, d, C and also iron, magnesium potassium. and are highly recommended to dieters..though sweet, they release the natural sugars slowly and help in regulating sugar levels (their glycemic index is considerably lower and who recommends it as a medium gylcemic index food that can be eaten by a diabetic too.)

There are orange fleshed, purple and our own white colored sweet potatoes.

I hear you coming to the topic.
    IMG_20150109_124758.jpg
    today's lunch plate sweet potatoes steamed sprinkled with pepper, pink salt/himalayan rock salt, and little oregano and basil, radish dal, vallarai/brahmi greens, cucumber salads and curds laced with zaatar (a middle eastern spice combo of sumac,thyme and oregano each having a benefit) it is ususally taken as tea or sprinkled over breads. i drink it as tea or as liberal sprinkle over curds.

4 people like this.
  5. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Shan,

The cake is soft. Just like the cake made with maida! No difference whatsoever! I make Chocolate cake with maida and oil and the texture is the same.I've never used flax seeds in cakes, so don't know how much difference it'll make. I I'll try your recipe and let you know.

The kids were playing on the terrace and came home saying ' Someone is making something nice. we could smell it in from there'. I have a whole lot of Kunji maavu , anything chocolatey, my son will like it.

1 person likes this.
  6. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

image.jpg image.jpg

Saturday's spl lunch koththu parota, veg kurma with coconut. I bought frozen wheat parota and made this at home. So it is not fully home made.

6 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@damini i can definitely relate to the kids saying something nice is cooking. my ds son would enter asking did i make this today ??? and the enthusiasm to make lovely food increases.. and i am happy with the texture, but i was thinking if flaxmeal would make it more lighter. have no sathumaavu to try. have to make a new batch to try. just have for porridge.

@mahesaran wonderful combos. i would love to make it at home sometime. i do make the kurma at home.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

todays lunch was a simple affair

. IMG_20150110_135112.jpg

kudiravali rice, lemon rasam, bottlegourd sabji, curds, fresh turmeric+mango ginger pickle and mw papads.

5 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@parineetha my dear weekend gourmet presenter is absent. i hope everything is fine with you and your family.

so for a change thought i will pep it up. remember i had some raw papaya on wednesday. it was too big and i still had 1/2 of the raw papaya after making parathas and raw salad. with the festivals around the corner i was trying to empty the vegetable box to fill up with fresh vegges. so a little pressure on the thinking cap and i made this wonderful savory muffin..

A cornmeal,chickpea flour, raw papaya, onions, chillies, chilli flakes, fresh ajwain leaves and some curdl..(the fat is from curds) - replace papaya with carrots/beets/ash gourd ...
    IMG_20150110_143502.jpg IMG_20150110_143524.jpg
    IMG_20150110_143732.jpg

and added some peanuts and made a few pakodas, and i was remembering my joke with @Shivachoubey ...
    . IMG_20150110_162230.jpg

The best part is my son has not yet realised there is papaya in that, and has been loving the muffins so much...@karanu sneaking and loving it...

@pihu123 love you can try it..you can fry it or do it in a appam pan, if you don't have a oven.

(pictures credit to dd, and she captured them using my mobile.)

12 people like this.