1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

The buns turned out yum..and viji thanks for tempting me..and i am going to keep trying to master and tame the yeast beast..so what if the eb bill rises..and we had the simple soft buns and soup for dinner. i made these for breakfast for the kids..

Made of multigrain atta and a little olive+corn oil.. happy with the outcome. will keep trying..

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Feeling sad today. the basic onions are moving towards the 50rs/kg and tomatoes are at almost 65rs/kg and potatoes at 34/kg. i really worry what happens to those people who survive on onions and tomatoes. wish the monsoons happen or these people will keep rising the price.

Today's lunch.

barley with coriander+curry+mint thogaiyal, dal podi laced with some garlic, cowpea sabji and bittergourd sabji (found some small ones..that we call midi pavakkai in tamil)

In the last two shopping session i find the color of lady's finger/ chayote/bittergourd a more darker shade of green than normal. i wonder if this is normal. even my sabji's tend to look more darker by the time they are done. scared of having them raw or just cooked...

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  3. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Hello everyone, this is such a useful thread to inculcate healthy eating habits. I'll also like to share my plates here.

My today's lunch - kudiraivali rice, drumstick-radish sambhar, ladiesfinger dry sabji, buttermilk with a pinch of black salt. Couldn't take a picture as I was extremely hungry :-( Only had some tea and a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast.

@Shanvy mam, thanks for asking about my daughter. She was fine until last week. She is having severe cough and fever for the past 3 days. It's a viral infection. Extremely challenging to give her any form of medicine (be it home remedies or doctor prescribed). She just doesn't open her mouth, even for a tsp of honey :-( Waiting for her to recover soon!

4. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Shans,

i made kudhiraivali upma yesterday in arisi upma style. Real yummy. Had to make it on stove top. My pressure pan which I bought in late May in TNagar Rathna store is not working anymore. The pressure is escaping thru the safety valve on the lid. I did not buy the extra rubber gasket or safety valve. I think I need to replace before I can use it again. I am upset because it is not even 6 weeks old.

2 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wow, wow, wow! Shanvy, recipe for the buns please!

6. pink

pink New IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,
    I m looking for good tailors who stitches salwar in chennai.. Pls suggest(Anywhere in chennai is ok for me) . I will be in chennai only for 4-5 days & I need to stitch 10-15 sets within 4-5 days..Pls suggest me two or three tailors so that I can split & give.. I know I'm asking in a different thread, Since the thread related to Tailors are nt updated often I m asking here.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

pink, i am not into fashion or so into getting tailors. we use our regular one for both my daughter and myself. we love the regular patterns, nothing out of the box. so wrong person to ask. i am sure there are many out there who are getting their outfits stiched. no idea dear.sorry.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

your lo has a mind of her own.that is the reason i always say though they are kids, they are individuals in their own rights with their whims and stubbornness and yes their uniqueness.

so the best i would do, is make rasam. add tulasi, and a little omam leaves. carmouflage in the regular rasam. add a little garlic, pepper in food. just mix it to things she eats. it is ok if she does not eat it as medicine. nowadays you get thoothuvalai. that can be cleaned added to rasam. be careful to pinch those small thorns. mix it in dosai just give her one small one..

add the honey to her milk or juices. don't give it as such.. i know she is fussy, but when the situation demands we need to be cunning and use that mom's creativity.

and make that kashayam that i posted somewhere here in il. it is very effective.

there is this variety of dry grapes. a little long and dark. these can be soaked and give her along with the water. helps in immunity building.

and love i know you use millets. no worries if you are not positng pics..

take care.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mam, these days products life is based on our luck too. seriously no kidding. it happens all the time. i have one pressure cooker that had no issues for 10 years..can't believe it..never changed a safety valve or anything. thanks to my maid the handles are down.. but i can't say the same for my pressure handi that is 2 year. too many issues. next time buy an extra weight, the safety valve and extra gaskets. it is very easy to fix the safety valves ourselves.

and i am happy you tried the kudiravali arisi upma.. the kozhukattai also comes well.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i think i shared that somewhere else here..tweaked the recipe a little with multigrain atta that i mill for regular use.