1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lucky bamboo

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Sindhuja, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sunitha,

Thanks for posting the pics of your plants. They look awesomely fresh. So lots of luck, wealth & prosperity...hmmmm :)

I'll look in for those pebbles in Walmart sooner.

AC,

I do see that her plants are slanting in spite of the pebbles. I agree it might also be because she has more stalks. So let me wait and see with the current set-up.

Oh...I am not going to turn or twist or propagate, unless I see some more leaves coming out or that portion of it growing. Why take the risk, isn't it?

Thanks,
    Malathy

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Some more info:

Why Are the Leaves Turning Yellow?

Two of the most common factors are 1.) too much direct sunlight; and
    2.) Water that is too salty or heavily-fluoridated tap water.
    Give your new Lucky Bamboo a thriving start be sure to keep it away from direct sunlight, and water only with filtered or natural spring water.

The number of stalks also has meaning :
    three stalks for happiness;
    five stalks for wealth; six stalks for health.
    Four stalks, however, are always avoided since the word "four" in Chinese sounds too similar to the Chinese word for "death"!

Can I Take Cuttings from Lucky Bamboo?

Yes. New stalks can be propagated from the original plant by using a sharp knife to cut through a stalk - just below the joint. Place the cutting in fresh, clean water. A fine mist spray to stalks is sometimes suggested to stimulate new bud growth.

How Do I Repot Bamboo?
    Like any other houseplant, Lucky Bamboo can be transferred to a vase or pot 2" larger than the original, or planted permanently into a loose sand or soil mixture that provides lots of bottom drainage. To avoid root rot, be careful to let the top of the soil dry out between waterings.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Thats so much of Info regarding Lucky Bamboo.Thanks a lot.

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear AC

thank you so much for your tips, but my plant is becoming dull suddnely, prev it was fresh and green and actually it was growing tall ,but now it looks dull and leaves look down OMG iam worried , iam changing water once in 2 days and using drinking water ( we call it PALAAR WATER) and definitely it wont get direct sunlight , iam sure , poor me, not able to post the snap of it, will try it tomorrow

5. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

I have lucky bamboo at my home too...i have 3 stalks...i water them based on the need like if i dont see any water or moisture around the pebbles in the pot i would water them...i love to see them growing..though their growth is very slow....it feels great when small leaves some out slowly

6. poojaprasad

poojaprasad Gold IL'ite

I water my lucky bamboo every alternate day...mine is just fine ...and I leave it for sunlight every other day....
    Posted the pic...

Attached Files:

7. ranjini1475

ranjini1475 New IL'ite

hi
    can it be put in pot filled with little soil and how to water this type i have gone through whole thread i could not get it please enlighten.

regards

8. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

Here's a recent pic of my Lucky Bamboo! Sorry the pic needs a rotation!!

IMG_5282[1].JPG

It was all fresh & green until recently one of the stalks started turning yellow as seen in the pic. That leaves me a little worried.

I did refer to this post on what could be causing it.

I was using tap water (it is hard water in TX), may be it is the reason.

Also, I left the plant direct opposite to A/C / Heater Vent. May be because of the hot air these days when we switch on the heater could have caused this.

However, it leaves me with a question why only one stalk affected while the remaining two is good (touch wood :)?

If any tips that strikes your head on looking at my lucky bamboo, do let me know. I really want to save it.

Regards,
    Malathy

9. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Wooow! i have never seen so shapely bamboo shoots in India!! Thnaks pooja and malathy, I like the way they twist and turn :) hope I had seen these pics before I bought my bamboo plant (which was only yesterday :bonk) and may be I would have hunted for these plants with twists and turns!!

I had one last year with thrieved so welll but when i went out for a couple of months and forgot to tell my roomies to look after it, it dried off! :-(

I kept the roots of the plant submerged in water always (avoided the jelly kind of thing that we get when we buy it that retains water for longer, but I dint trust it) and water them as and when I see the water level going down, and change the water every month.Kept it off direct sunlight and a cooler corner! I hope opting only these measures my new plant will thrive soon too!

10. deepasahana

deepasahana Bronze IL'ite

hi friends,

recently i bought a bamboo plant and the leaves beccame yellow very soon,even though am using mineral water but one thing i didnt use bebble or water jelly for the bamboo plant.

can i know the water level for bamboo plant? is it compulsory to add pepples for the plant?

awaiting for ur reply frnds

regards
    deepa