1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lucky bamboo

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Sindhuja, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

some more tips..

Bamboo is an easy houseplant to grow, and it requires little care. Just remove the string to keep it from choking the plant as it grows and be sure it gets plenty of indirect sunlight. Direct sunlight can cause yellowing of the stalks.

If your plant came in a pot filled with tiny pebbles, simply replenish the water as it evaporates, keeping it at about an inch from the base of the stalks. Change the water completely from time to time to keep it clean. If it's planted in soil, water it when the soil surface becomes dry. Using chlorinated, fluorinated tap water might cause the stalks to turn yellow, so let the water sit in a cup overnight at room temperature before watering. This will allow the chemicals to dissipate. You can use spring water instead, if you prefer. And keep the bamboo away from pets; it's toxic.
    I am highlighting some important points..

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC, Sindhuja & other IL'ites,

That was lots of info about lucky bamboo plant. Want to know why I got into this thread all of a sudden?

Me too, like you, Sunitha, got a lucky bamboo stalk from Ikea stores when I went with my Sil during "Thanks giving" holidays. Actually my SIL bought one for me and I bought one for her (someone told me lucky bamboo is told to bring more luck when someone else buys it for you, than you buying it yourself :)

But stingy me, did not buy the pebbles and the vase that Ikea was selling along with the stalk. My Sil had gifted a tall glass vase recently and I thought this stalk would be a best fit for it. I did not buy the pebbles thinking it was only for decoration purposes. I have those color stones(or is that glass not sure?) that I already had bought from Michaels and was thinking to use it for decorating. Only on reading this thread I came to know the pebbles is needed to hold the stalk up-right.

So below is the pic on how I have kept my bamboo plant in the counter top in my living room, in a tall glass vase filled fully with water. Only 1/4th of the stalk is immersed in water. I keep changing this water every 3 to 4 days. This was the instructions in the tag that came with the stalk when I bought it from Ikea.

Lucky_Bamboo 004.jpg

Is this good? Can I leave it like that? Or should I make it stand up-right with pebbles? Or should I put some fertile soil definitely?

I'm sorry if I am asking to repeat the same info already shared here. I did go thro' the entire thread and did not find any post saying pebbles or fertile soil is mandatory? Hence I am asking again. Appreciate if one of you could let me know. Thank you!

Malathy

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Friends

Even i have LUCKY BAMBOO in my house , i have kept it in top of round glass pot in small glass bowl , since mine is small one with TWO stalks, got it a month back, ofcourse iam aware that, it brings wealth and prosperity and my plant too has grown little bit, but i saw black tiny spots in one leaf and another one is little bit dull etc..... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN????

Edho ellarum vangierukalenu nanum vangi vecheruken, but eppo after hearing all your comments, iam worried., BAYAMA ERUKKU, already iam fcing lot of problems , and endha plant vera :hide::-(

4. Anandchitra

Lata
    Are you changing the water regularly?
    I am sure there is no need to fear about the plant.

Please do tell how frequently you change the water and is it kept in direct sunlight location.:)

5. Anandchitra

Malathy

Your plant looks very healthy. In my personal experience if a plant looks healthy then I am doing something right (sometimes do not know what I am doing right:))

The only thought that comes to mind is that very soon you might need a larger container as this one might outgrow its current home.

I am copying some tips posted by Puni88 which might be useful for you.
    Here are few tips:
    1. You can change the pot to a bigger one, if you like so.
    2. You may have to change the water every 3-4 days to keep the plant healthy.
    3. While changing water, you can clean the pot too by removing the plants, gravels etc. It will not harm the plant.
    4. Bamboo plant can survive upto 2 weeks without water.
    5. Add room tempature water to the plant. (Plant won't survive with very cold water or warm water). It is better to use filter water to the plant.
    6. Please don't keep the plant under direct sunlight.
    7. In case of any one root dies, please replace/throw the root. (it might cause problems with the family…this is the chinese belief and my experience too).

Do keep us posted

6. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear AC

As i have told that, i have kept in a very small bowl filled with drinking water and i will change water once in 2 days and its kept in the centre table of my front hall , it definitely wont get direct sunlight , may be i will try to take a snap of it and post it atthe earliest

Thank you so much for your cocnern and tips

7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

AC,

Thanks for your response. Yeah...I better buy that big glass vase Ikea had for this size of stalk.

But my main concerns are these...

Can someone let me know on the above lines?

Lata,

I can understand how you feel. Me too got this plant for the luck it would bring. But now looks like it adds more to our responsibilities :)

Malathy

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Malathy,this is how I have kept them..I don't keep them at this table but by the window usually(just to take photo I kept them here).There is no sunlight coming thru' that window however.

I got the vases and pebbles from Walmart,even with pebbles,they slant,but no problem with that till date.I change water once a week.

Attached Files:

9. Anandchitra

Lata
    I will try and find out from my friends about your plant. I am sure it can be easily fixed. Take care.

10. Anandchitra

Malathy
    If you look at the photo posted by Sunitha her plant is also leaning inspite of pebbles.
    So maybe pebbles are more for beauty and visual effects.
    But in Sunita's picture she had more than one stalk. So maybe its better to have the pebbles for additional support.

However I will not add the soil now. Your plant looks good so continue with what ever you have been doing.

Both you and Sunitha might want to propogate these plants. I heard they are very easy to propagate and grows fast.

Also you might be aware that you can change the shape of the stalk. Like twisting or curling or heart shaped etc. do try.:)