1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons Learnt in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Harithag, Nov 23, 2009.

1. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

I used to have a beautiful black glass top 4 burner gas stove.

Once I kept a thick sandwich bottom vessel to boil water and completely forgot about it. :bonk

The sandwich base (aluminium inbetween layers of copper) melted and hot molten metal flowed on to the stove top. You guessed it. The next few hours, the glass was making crackling noise and splinters were flying around as the stove took a long time to cool down. :hide:

I had left the kitchen to pick up my crying baby from the crib and then it led to diaper change, feeding and playing with her etc etc.

Lesson Learnt: Always switch off the stove while going to check on the baby. Mommies just forget the world when they see their babies.:idea

2. Uthra21

Uthra21 New IL'ite

I have commited all types of mistake with pressure cooker. Nowadays if any problem is there in the cooker i cam easily identify it.

3. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

I was staying with my friend in Bangalore. I used to cook dinner for us and once I was making carrot curry. I had covered the lid of tawa for the carrot to get cooked. On the other burner I was making Sambar. I took the lid of the tawa and saw carrot was 85% done, so I added salt and mirchi and was mixing it. I took the lid to cover the Tawa and my right palm was burnt so badly. I didn't realise that the lid was placed very close to the other burner and sambhar was boling in that and the steel lid absorbed heat. 3/4th of my skin in right palm changed to different colour. And with in next 30 mts I had to leave to office. I was not even able to comb my hair. I didn't know what to do, except to keep hand in cold water :( I left to work and had a tough time while typing on the keyboard. Luckily next day was weekend so applied Mehendi in hand so that the burning sensation subsidised :( Now I am married for 4 years but till today I don't touch anything in Kitchen with barehand. Always use edukki :)) My MIL makes soooooooooo much fun of me :)

4. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

This happened when we bought a Microwave owen,

That was the first time we were using a microwave and I didnt have the experience in cooking in it, this was some years back. I was very excited that I dint bother to read the instruction manual. I did all boiling, heating and some light cooking. Finaly I tried boiling eggs, I didnt have the slightest idea that I should not be boiling anything that is solid actually even potatoes should be cut into halves. But as both the gas burners were occupied I decided to boil eggs in Micro... and finish my job fast, I think the first 5 mins was ok, then suddenly there was a huge noice and the micro.. door flung open and all the six eggs burst out into small particles.

Imagine the plight of our kitchen, all the egg particles stuck everywhere including the roof of my kitchen, it was stinking for the whole day, I think I spent atlest 4 hrs cleaning.

From then on I am very very careful with the microwave

5. kirtidabg

kirtidabg New IL'ite

hi friends

i learn a lesson that is amazing and can realise my the power of nature.
    once i was making tea and some one called me. so i went and forget about the tea. when i come back the whole vessel was burnt. then i put it on the terres because i thought that my MIL will scold me for that. the day after i forget the vessel and after 2-3 days i suddenly remember and i thought how much i should scrub for that. when i went to terres to take it i was surprise bcz the burnt material is came up and make a layer which can be removed easily. i understand that becouse of sunlight it happend.

6. Shilpa Pratheep

Shilpa Pratheep Bronze IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdsh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> This one happened yesterday.
    I was making ragi balls, I use cloth for the grip, once the ragi ball was done I turned off the burner n went to watch TV. I dint have the slightest idea that the cloth which I was using could have caught fire, I realized when I could see some light in kitchen when I was absolutely sure I switch off the gas. I ran to kitchen only to see a fire emitting from a black surface(cloth completely charred)

Lesson learnt : Check the cloth once a while/ after cooking . If it is light cotton like what I have, it could be charring even without fire.

7. Shilpa Pratheep

Shilpa Pratheep Bronze IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdsh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> This one happened yesterday.
    I was making ragi balls, I use cloth for the grip, once the ragi ball was done I turned off the burner n went to watch TV. I dint have the slightest idea that the cloth which I was using could have caught fire, I realized when I could see some light in kitchen when I was absolutely sure I switch off the gas. I ran to kitchen only to see a fire emitting from a black surface(cloth completely charred)

Lesson learnt : Check the cloth once a while/ after cooking . If it is light cotton like what I have, it could be charring even without fire.

8. Vrindavipul

Vrindavipul Bronze IL'ite

It's a very nice thread. Each and everybody in their lives must have gone through sweet and sour experiences................................. mine is..............once I was grinding chutney in mixie and for few seconds I went out to check the doorbell. In the meantime my niece came and she started the mixie.

In no time jar's lid popped up in the air and there was chutney all over the kitchen. Even that green coriander chutney spoiled the ceiling. When I came back I pulled my hair but in vain. I couldn't scold ny four year niece and bursted in laugh.

9. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear all,

One of my experience at my kitchen. Because of the morning hurry burry in cooking, we bought a four burner gas stove from big bazar. So in the mornigns, we use all the four for finishing bf and lunch quickly. One day all the other burners I put something and in one of the first burner wich is very close to me I put a big kadai to prepare uppma. The water was boiling with salt, mirchi, ginger etc with a big spoon inside that kadai. Suddenly I bend down to get some thing from the under cupboard . While bending I hit the big spoon in the hot kadai and the whole kadai turn over my back. I couldnt get up and stop because then I will get the hot water over my face. No body else were near by so I just took the whole water with big scream. Luckily th kadai didnt came down. Some how by the time everybody came. I was in saree so the whole water went inside the blouse and bra stayed inside so my whole back got badly boiled. The water was having oil and mirchi and salt so everything together worsended the situation. For the first four hours i counted the stars and ohter bodies in the universe. It took fifteen days for me to try the saree blouse again.

The lesson is if you are having four burners never use the first two burners for deep frying, or boiling water etc.

Then whatever is to come will come.

ganges

10. honey4

honey4 New IL'ite

Ladies, Very nice thread :) I too have some experiences in kitchen but I am a slow learner because I made some mistakes twice :)

1. This is during first year of marriage. I was making pumpkin curry and while trying to boil the pumpkin pieces I forgot about it completely as I was watching a good movie. Yes, you guessed it right..I had to make another one.
    2. Same again...I kept milk on the stove..talking to my hubby in hall and totally forgot the boiling milk...some milk spilled on burner and flame went off but gas was ON(luckily nothing happened...thank god!!!!)...rest of the milk literally became coal...it was a copper bottom vessel so it became red hot...funny thing was none of us smelled it..v were so deep in conversation...later my servant maid told me that whole street smelled :rotfl She had hard time cleaning the dish.
    3. I got small burns once in a while since I touched hot surfaces/lids while cooking. This one happend last year when..I burnt my hand baking first cake ever while checking on it. This is because I did not open the oven door completely. So one point of my hand touched the oven door while trying to check the cake. OUCH!!!

Lesson learnt: Never get distracted when something is on stove. Also be careful with hot surfaces while baking or cooking.