1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Tips

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by priyauc, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

May be I should just keep half cup of dal with 1.5 cups of water .. may be that will work :hide::hide: Thanks so much priya

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Nandhu,

Prestige cooker vangalaya? :-D

For 1 cup dhal...3 cups of water is way too much. You can add 1.5-2cups of water. Adhukkum mela thaangadhu!!

Also please dont fill the cooker with too much water..that may also cause leakage.

Cheers
    Krithika ( Jithiks)

3. Antu601

Antu601 Senior IL'ite

priyu.
    how about posting some more kitchen tips?
    :thumbsup

4. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Thanks for posting useful tips.

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi nandhu,

I have one more solution for your problem..

i start cooking around 5.45 to 6.00 am....so to avoid the noise of whistle while cooking dhall...i adopt this method...

wash the dhall well..add the necessaries with 1:2 ratio of water...allow to boil without closing the lid in high flame..once it heats and bubbles up..reduce the flame to the minimal point(sim)..close the lid ...put on the weight and allow it to cook for solid 20-25 mins...works out perfectly with no mess...cleaning the lid is no more a problem for me :)..coz in this method the particles never reaches the lid @ all...depending on the water 5 mins extra or less takes on..

As chitra mam says...the very first duty in the morning is to wash and soak the dhall and rice necessary for the meal...by soaking the cooking time reduces very much

(Sorry for the long reply :hide:..just noticed)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. vshnvr

vshnvr New IL'ite

hi friends
    dal is my everyday dish...this is the way how i do dal cooking...put the dal in cooker add water just to cover the dal...add 1tsp oil....close the lid nd allow to soak the dal for 1/2 an hour(optional)...then switch on the stove....when steam comes continuously,put the weight nd sim the flame for 10mts...switch off...dal gets rt consistency without any mess...no leakage nd no whistle sound!!!!!!