1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Is it advisable to cook in non-Stick vessels completely?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by PADMATW, Oct 29, 2012.

1. PADMATW

PADMATW Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have lot of stainless steel vessels. I am planning to replace most of them with Non-Stick vessels for cooking....and quality plastics boxes for storage. Non-stick - ofcourse is fast to cook, do not stick, easy to wash, etc.
    • Non-Stick Vessels - fast cooking, less oil consumption, and no sticking
    • Good quality plastics containers - different sizes / colors and looks neat if we display in kitchen.
    (Both are easy to wash with cleaning solution. There is no need to wait for servant maid to clean, indeed not advisable to give it to them for wash

But is it good for health? Any suggestions. pl welcome.

Thanks
    Padma

2. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

Hi Padma.. The coat of Non-stick pan is majorly contains corbon substances.. So you need to be very carefull while using that.. You should follow the instructions written on that for sure.. Once the coat is damaged you definetly need to stop using it since it may mix with the food you are cooking..

And plastic containers are safe if you use good quality plastic.. Any ways its advisable not to use them for very hot food storing..

3. whatisaguytodo

whatisaguytodo Gold IL'ite

Stick with stainless steel. I've replaced all my non-stick cookware with stainless steel pieces over the years. If you like to heat the pan up before putting food inside to cook it's especially dangerous as at 260 degrees the teflon coating breaks down and releases toxic chemicals. While it's hard to reach that temperature, it's possible there might be a spot somewhere than extra hot. Easier to stick with stainless steel.

As for the plastic avoid all containers with BpA (Bisphenol A). If you look at the recycle sign at the bottom, you should avoid all plastic with the numbers 3,6 or 7.

1 person likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Replaced almost all my non-stick as well. I use the cast iron griddle for the dosa tawa. Once seasoned its as good as non-stick.