1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to reduce double chin?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by lucky9, Dec 18, 2006.

1. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

How to get rid of that Double Chin

If you have a double chin you are not alone. Whether your double chin is caused by excess weight or weak muscles you can take steps to get rid of it forever.

One cosmetic problem that is particularly troublesome is the double chin. Whether you are overweight or underweight it is possible to have a double chin and the only remedy you may have heard about is plastic surgery. Cosmetic surgery and liposuction are expensive procedures and are not usually covered by insurance companies. In addition to the costs, all surgeries pose a certain level of risk. If you can determine the cause of your double chin you may be able to get rid of it without surgery.

Some of us have double chins due to excessive weight. If you exercise and maintain a well balanced diet you should be able to loose weight in your face and chin as well as the rest of your body. When we loose weight the first place we often will notice a difference is in the facial area. A good cardio vascular program is essential for loosing excess fat in problem areas like the chin. If you have lost the weight or don’t have excessive weight and still have a double chin your problem may be due to weak muscles.

Some double chins are caused by weakness in the muscles of the face, neck, and jaw. Incorrect posture is the main cause of these types of double chins. There are many exercises and posture correcting techniques you can do to help reduce your double chin. When you do these exercises your muscles will begin to strengthen and your double chin will begin to disappear.

The most important step to getting rid of a double chin is to improve your posture. Make a constant effort to sit up straight and hold your head up high above your shoulders. Stop yourself from slouching when you are sitting at your desk or watching television. Keep your shoulders held back and your spine straight while looking straight ahead of you when you sit or walk. When you sleep do not use more than one pillow and make sure your mattress provides enough support for your body. Waterbeds provide poor support and can encourage bad posture.

Improving circulation to the area can also help reduce a double chin. Using a massage wand or gently tapping the underside of your chin with a flat hand repeatedly can help increase blood flow and reduce swelling in the area.

Here are some effective exercises for banishing your double chin:

1. Point your chin to the ceiling while sitting down. Open your mouth as widely as you can and pull your chin up to close your mouth. Repeat this exercise for several minutes.

2. While sitting face straight ahead. Place one hand on your forehead and try to push your head forward while you push back at your head with your hand. You will feel this exercise in your jaw, chin, and neck. The repeated resistance will help to strengthen your target muscles.

3. Sit in a chair and point your chin towards the ceiling. Pucker out your lips and stretch them out as far as you can. Hold this position for ten seconds and relax. Repeat ten to fifteen times per session.

4. While sitting try to force your chin out in front of you as far as you can without moving your upper body and shoulders. Hold this position for five to ten seconds and release. Repeat fifteen to twenty times.

5. While sitting on your knees with your body and upper legs upright place your hands on the back of your hips and lean your head back as far as is comfortable. Hold this position for five to ten seconds and return to upright. Repeat ten to fifteen times.

Until you have totally eliminated your double chin you can reduce its appearance using shading techniques with makeup or disguising it with a different hairstyle. The chin is a particularly difficult area to address so don’t become discouraged if you don’t see immediate results. Practice your good posture diligently, perform your exercises, and try to stick to a healthy lifestyle and eventually you will see your arch nemesis disappear.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kanchi

Kanchi New IL'ite

Re: How to get rid of that Double Chin

Hi Daffodil,
    I have a slightly double chin.Today itself I follow this exercise.Thanks a lot for your Posts.

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello daffodil

the cute flower?
    there is no drooping chin
    or double double chin
    but yes the exercises given
    sure are great for neck muscles too...
    great advice...!

sathya

4. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Hi Daffodil,

you can also try the following

First, open your mouth as wide as you possibly can. Now hold that position for about 10 seconds, then relax your mouth, and repeat a few more times. Apparently the muscles that open and close your mouth are located in the exact area you wish to target. For faster results, add resistance by placing a tennis ball underneath your chin while testing your jaw-span.

5. hasa

hasa New IL'ite

Great ways to get rid of that Double chin.thanks you friends for the valuable tips

Hasa

6. shakila banu

shakila banu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Daffodil

Thanks Very Much For Good Neck Exercises.

7. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

Until now I did not know that double-chin could be an issue for anyone!

Not sure if it is ... for ladies, come to think of it I am trying to recall a face with double-chin, hmmm!

I have it and I have no issues with it, nor do I hear any complaints/comments abt it from my friends (or foes), although some people find it attractive! :)

8. Paro

Paro New IL'ite

Hello everyone!

I liked your post regarding double chin. I am just a 2 days old member, but I think I am at right place.

It is very important to get rid of double chin, as with it one cannot hide his or her age after 40. I am normal weight and I got double chin from last one year that is because I am constantly at computer for more than 5 hours that requires my chin to go down and I gathered up some fats there. I have been doing some exercise what you metioned but not regularly. So point to catch up is-Regualrity is key to success.

I will follow this exercise regularly. Thankyou very much

9. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Daffodil,
    Valuable tips!!!:hatsoffI will try to remember
    and do the exercise at regular basis.

10. sukan91

sukan91 New IL'ite

how to reduce fat in the neck

Hi all,

I'm Sudha here. I am pretty new to this. I am a mother of 2 and I weigh 68kgs
    I joined a gym recently. My main worry is how to lose fat accumilation in the neck. I hate it. So I pl. encourege guidance and tips to lose it

Luv all
    Sudha:hiya