1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to make very soft Idlis?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Sridevi, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Sridevi

Sridevi Bronze IL'ite

Can anybody give suggestions for making very soft idlis and any tips for the same? I've been trying all sorts of proportions with boiled rice & Udadh dhall but it turns out to be more or less like stones :-(

2. Veni77

Veni77 Gold IL'ite

Most of the time, it depends upon the kind of rice and Urud daal that you use, decides the fate of idli...

I try the following combination:

Idli rice 3: 1 urud daal (branded one like Udayam or Sree Gold)...and a few methi seeds, with a half hand full of aval (rice flakes)...
    Soaking time : 30 mins for daal
    1.5 hours for other ingredients...

Also while grinding, dont add water at once, but add a little at one time and do it frequently

but, let me warn you...jus by doing all of the above, you may not get the final softer idlies...

the actual softness comes only by practice depending upon the type of gridner, your rice quality, water saltness and other factors... Keep trying, dear!!

3. jyotiparab

jyotiparab Silver IL'ite

hi
    just try this
    if 2 cup rice
    less than 1 cup of uraddal

let me know

1 person likes this.
  4. IndianQueen

IndianQueen Silver IL'ite

You can just add a pinch of soda powder while fermenting, will turn out v soft.. Hope this helps...

5. jayanthisuresh

jayanthisuresh Gold IL'ite

hi sridevi

this is the ratio i prepare in home it comes so soft ..rice : ural = 5: 1 i will put and 10 to 15 seeds of methi seeds.
    soak it for 5 to 6 hours nicely .. dont grind rice so soft make is some wat rough little bit and grind ural dal so soft . mix both and add salt around 3 teaspoons and the main thing the batter should not be so think .. and while pouring idly or dosa add little bit of cooking soda u will get soft idly..

6. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

my method of making soft idlies;
    3 cups of boiled rice,1 cup of raw rice,1 cup of uraddal,1 cup of aval and 2 tea spoons of methi seeds. soak all the ingredients together for 6 hours and grind it. leave this batter for fermentation not less than 10 hours, no need to add any baking soda some times it changes the colour of the idly.
    usualy i soak it in the mornings and grind it in the evening........

7. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

8. harsne

harsne New IL'ite

hi sri,
    I will usually maintain 2:1 ratio for rice and uraddal.i would soak them separately in water after washing them nicely for nearly 6hrs.as jayanthi said u have to grind uraddal so softly.i will keep soaking uraddal inside refrigerator for those six hrs and use that cold water for grinding.so that it will be grinded very well.u can judge the consistency by doing this.when u feel that uraddal is grinded nicely,just switch off your grinder.u should see some bubbles coming out.and u have to grind rice little coarser(only little) and don add much water to it. add necessary salt to ferment it.some people add salt only when they use it.but its good to add as soon as u prepare..also use muslin cloth in idli cooker.then u would get really soft n bright idlis...

9. Sridevi

Sridevi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks all of you...Will try those tips....(was surprised that each gave a different proportion and still got soft ones :) When I tried different proportions, each time, it was a stone of a different stiffness ;-)

2 people like this.
  10. kiran82

kiran82 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sridevi,
    I think whatever the proportion,fermentation is a must.Unless it ferments-that is,you should keep the batter outside atleast for 5 to 6hours-the softness will not prevail.So dont put the batter in the fridge immediately after grinding,if you are doing so!
    Regards,