1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to increase weight without increasing tummy?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by iswaryadevi, Apr 27, 2011.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Recently, with aid of diet and exercise, I lost around 8 kgs. OK, I got the flat tummy I had always wanted. But now my BMI is in the border of underweight - 18.6. So, I would like to increase my wight by just 2 kgs. Any ideas on how to increase weight without increasing my tummy. Any advice would be my appreciated :bowdown

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Firstly, wow you managed to go below the normal BMI range :)
    But that is not the healthy range.
    Having a good BMI is essential to have resistance to illnesses

The key point here is to eat a balanced diet:
    the ratio of carbohydrate to fats to protein to fluids should be balanced.

The recommendation is to have 40-50% Carbs, 25-35% protein, 20-30% fat. Under 2500 mg of sodium and over 25 grams of fiber

Eat a balanced diet and do ab crunches 3 times a week and Surya Namaskar on all days

3. iswaryadevi

Dear ptamil,

Thank you so much for your quick response :)

I decreased my weight on purpose to reach 19 BMI, but went a bit far and reached 18.6 :crazy

I have been eaiting adequate amount of veggies and fruits. Though my BMI sounds close to underweight, I am healthy and quiet resistant to any illness.

I have been doing ab crunches. So now if I increase my carbs intake, would I be able to maintain my flat tummy? Sorry if my question sounds very lame :hide:

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

iswarya: Your question is very valid, not at all lame

The basic reason why especially for women, the tummy gets piled with fat is because the lack of exercise for those muscles

If you think, our legs, hands are all doing some work all the time. whereas the stomach part does not, so any extra fat or carbs which the body is not using as energy gets deposited in that area

The trick is to give those muscles an adequate exercise while trying to put on weight. This way the weight increase would be toned muscles - that will make you look slim

5. iswaryadevi

Thank you so much ptamil for your reply :bowdown

6. aaha

aaha New IL'ite

hi, i want to that how do we do ab crunches exercise? If possible please do let me know

7. iswaryadevi

Hi aaha,

Welcome to IL :)

For starters, you can start with these two basic ab crunches listed in this site. You can also search for these crunches in Youtube for exact procedure, else you may hurt yourself.

All the best :cheers

8. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ishwarya,

Gaining weight without piling on fat on tummy is possible specially when weigh gain is just 2 kgs. You will notice the changes of weight on your face first.

The trick is to modify the diet and give advance workout to your tummy.

1. If your target is 2 kgs then make sure to check the weight every week and see there is 1 kgs weight gain. If the weight gain is rapid then it will become difficult to control it on tummy area. The point is to increase just 1 kgs or less BUT not more in one week.

2. Opt for healthy weight gain options like banana, potato, rice, ghee etc for weight gain but not junk food.

3. To keep your tummy flat while the 2 kgs weight gain happens you have to advance train it. If you go to the gym then you can use the ab machines to train yourself else google different muscles types in the tummy and start training every muscle group. There are atleast 10 or more exercises for a tummy so invest time in them. You tube has all the variations of tummy exercises, check them out.

4. Though high impact cardio is not required in your case but please do light walks to keep yourself in good shape.

Hope this helps.

regards

9. iswaryadevi

Dear Shivachoubey,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply :bowdown

As suggested by you and others, I have increased my rice (carbs) intake. I will check the other ab exercises too in youtube.

Thanks once again :)

10. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Oh my dear Ice,

you lost 8 kgs..superb dear...

please please share the tips...

I badly want to reduce my tummy ..:rant